WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hails from South Africa
Re: Monthly CP Challenge - April 2012

Ali, Rosemary has given you great advice...nothing is going to happen to you or anybody else if it doesn't work out. Play with your pencils, and see what happens! I also recall somebody a few years ago recommending that when you scan pale pics, if you place it on a sheet of black it will scan better...I think it does work....try it and see! Maybe we can see your indigo and other colours better then!
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Canon City, Colorado

Hails from United States

Ali, I think your eggs are getting there. I agree with everyone else...be adventurous with those pencils. I was too chicken (ha ha) to try the eggs because they looked hard. Wonder if they are hard boiled? LOL

I've been putting gesso or a pumice gel over any drawings I don't like..then I can paint or pastel on them at a later date. This way I don't feel like I'm wasting paper. I know it is expensive and fearful to waste it. We are all living on limited budgets these days. Just have fun...that is what it's all about in my mind.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Hails from United Kingdom

I seem to be showing my gratitude an awful lot recently, which is very much testament to the people of this forum -I love being here .

Thank you Rosemary -I know you are right I am just being silly You see logically I know what you are saying is spot on BUT unfortunately my Logical brain has never been very good at winning the argument when its up against fear and lack of judgement . I have slowly been feeling better, I have noticed it when I am working on my 'Purple Leaves' -I see the finish line with that project and so with renewed enthuisiasm I can tackle this one and I will this evening so I can post an update tomorrow

Thank you so much Lynette I know you are right and thank you I will try scanning with a black background tomorrow. I am off to eat some Carrot cake and then I am going to tackle my eggs .

Lorianne if you continue to pun and yoke like that I am going to have to call in the comedy police to crack you Thank you for your continued support it really helps me and what is this thing you call 'fun'?? I can't cast my mind that far back to remember it I will try to relax -I promise . By the way thats a great idea of yours -I would never have thought to cover old art I don't like -is it easy to work with?

Right.....I am off to eat cake -I would share but I don't think it will make it across oceans....so sorry!

Hugs,

Ali
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Jacksonville, FL

RE: Eggs by Mustcreate

My take on the eggs. WOWza these were hard. I really have a lot to learn. I lost a lot of the tooth pretty quick on this sketchpad so it is kind of smeary in some places. I'm not at all happy with egg #3 and the penumbra on #1 just wouldn't come together.. I definitely overworked it.

Not too happy but I learn the most from trying and failing, and I have a lot of fun experimenting... Thanks for the challenge!

Here's my take and here is the palette...

Prismacolor on sketchpad (Aquabee 93lb w/ "excellent tooth"). about 4 x 6
Attached Images

Shippeecraft.blogspot.com
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

I think you are being particularly hard on yourself -I think your egg piece is great, I love your use of colour and at least unlike me you went for it.

Ali
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2012, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member

Jess- the egg drawing is beautiful, you really captured the colors. I thought this challenge would be easy. That is, until I started. Then it was like- "well, I would like to have some grey here, here, and here...."
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Jess - great job on the eggs! You did amazing, considering you weren't able to use grey at all. Wonderful.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Canon City, Colorado

Hails from United States

Jess, you really did do a great job on those eggs. I love the colors you chose. I might have to give those a try next.

Here is my Cammpaspe River attempt. Pay no attention to that squid...He must have come up out of the water. Now that I scanned it...I can see what I need to do to fix it. I think I need to darken those roots. Any other comments are much appreciated.

Thanks, Lorianne
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from South Africa

good effort on a difficult reference! You had me laughing about the squid...now that is all I can see!!
Please sort him out!
Put me out of my misery!
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2012, 03:24 PM

Campaspe River and an Ancient Burnt River Redgum Tree by the drover’s dog
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...hp?photo=51934

9x12 Stonehenge, Prismacolors

Comments are much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to look,
Malinda
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2012, 03:14 AM

Lorianne: great work, it has the same atmosphere as the photo. I can almost feel the warm sunny day and the water! And I would not notice the "squid" if you didn't write about it, but of course now I cannot get rid of it as well
The grass in the front apperars to be "under" the roots, if you know what I mean... But everything else is perfect.

Malinda: a different approach to the same photo - I like it as well, good job! Maybe the tree would benefit from a few more layers.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Hey! Lorianne I really love your interpretation especially all that detail in the tree -it works extremely well (I'll ignore the squid....hmm! ). I really like the changing colours in your water too it really works well to give the effect of distance and depth in the water.(I dont think I will show mine having seen yours...Ahem ).

Hi! Malinda, you know it always amazes me how the same ref can be interpreted with such diversity. Your version has an almost Batik(Sp*) feel to it, I think because it has a strong sense of pattern too it which is very appealing. It is further accentuated by your different pencil strokes I really love it (Even more reason now for me not to do it -How am I supposed to put my attempt next to your great work and Loriannes).

Ali
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

I know peeps here don't tend to post a WIP on this thread but I also know that it is allowed , so I hope no-one minds that this is my second update of my eggs.

Suffice to say the colours are more varied in reality, as you can see I tried the tip given too me and put the only thing I could find that was sort of black behind the image -I think it did help a little.

OOPS! Sorry forgot to mention it is from a reference photo by mustcreate -

Anyway all critiques and criticism heartily welcomed. Here it is -

I am having fun using a rainbow of colours -its a lovely break from my blinkin' Purple leaves! Sheesh!
The reason I am posting updates is because I really need your help and expert eyes to see what I miss and what I could improve -technique, drawing ability, use of colour etc.

Thank you

Ali

Last edited by Jazz : 04-24-2012 at 12:00 PM.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from South Africa

Here is my rendition of the eggs by mustcreate.
it is on bristol vellum 130mmX185mm (7 1/2 x 5 ins)
I used all sorts of colours, peach,cream,indigo, light violet, caput mortum, pink.dark green...all FC polys, I am trying to use them more and more so I get used to them....still love my prismas though. My main objective was to let these look like eggs,and not potatoes.....as my previous attempt many years ago!
I enjoyed playing with all the colours.
thanks for looking.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Hey! Lynette ,
Your eggs are splendid and full of colour -How did you find the challenge? Can't have found it too difficult as they are definitely NOT potatoes .
Anyway, you have achieved what I am still struggling with, I'm trying to avoid my colours becoming mud -How did you manage to avoid it -if you don't mind me asking?

Ali