WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2012, 01:55 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States
Any takers for a forum CHALLENGE?

It has been some time since we did a themed Challenge here in Fiber Art. Many members either did not have time, were not inspired, or working with materials not lending themselves to the Challenges. But there have been some others joining us since then, so I thought I would check in!

Anyone interested?
Open to any creative process - knitting, sewing, dolls, sculpture, quilting. And yes, paper does qualify as fiber, depending on how you use it.

Open-ended or timed ie for a specific month?

Topics?
- a color
- something seasonal
- nature or plants

For example, create something that is RED, or where red is the dominate color.

Or FOOD -- create something, from a wall hanging of veggies to something you use in the kitchen, like pot holders, that has something to do with food. (we do this as a white elephant exchange at the holidays, and the food theme ALWAYS gives a wide range of fun choices).

Even if just one other joined me in this, I would enjoy it. Challenges and structured opportunities to stretch my thinking, well, stretch my thinking. Even doing studies, rather than finished work, would be fine. For example to knit or crochet a swatch or make a postcard-size quilted piece.

Thoughts?
Jen
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2012, 04:06 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Re: Any takers for a forum CHALLENGE?

I find, with forum challenges, I look at them, and say, ooh, I want to try ____. The next thing I know the end of the week or month is here and I've barely started or not started at all.

The other thing I will point out is that unlike painting or sketching, many fiber arts are long term projects, they take months. Is that because of busy lives, or only being able to knit or whatever for so long before the hands and eyes get tired?

Somewhere, buried on this forum is a thread where people made suggestions for challenges.

Now, all that being said, I wouldn't mind having a challenge posted regularly, whether that is once a month or every other month. I'll certainly think about it and might even manage to do something.

Food sounds like fun. I'll bring the candy.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2012, 04:25 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Sounds like fun and depending on the time limits I will be willing to try for a challenge.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

I love this idea. I think the way this medium works (these media?) it would make sense to have regular monthly/bimonthly challenges, but only restrict the start time rather than the end time limits. Then, if you get done with February's challenge in July, you can post it to the Feb thread or the July thread.

My favorite part about the challenges in the watercolor forum are the WIPs anyway. I mean finished is great and all, but seeing a work come together is really cool. The buyers never see that part, that part is the artists

I submit "water" as a topic for future challenges
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2012, 07:13 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

I love the idea of a starting time, but not an ending time. I agree that the hurdle often with fiber projects is the time they take. Painting do, too, of course, but not necessarily.

and candy is on the agenda....and Water as a topic sounds intriguing.

well, let's see what other opinions are out there. Maybe we can do something with Water for March. Fitting for Pisces, eh?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2012, 07:59 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

March is also shamrocks for St Patricks day.
April is Easter with ducks, bunnies, spring flowers.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Enthusiast
Reykjavik

Hails from Iceland

I am so busy with the new company that I am not sure when I can relax enough to have play-time.... I will look out for anything I can fit in though....
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast
Rural Manitoba

Hails from Canada

Sounds like so much fun Jen, but I'm Like Sigrun... working on a new proposal and a couple dozen new projects, prepping for a bunch o' classes, plus playing in a round robin with our local guild.

Maybe when a theme is picked (I like the water idea!), I can twist a current project to incorporate it (I have a snowflake pattern in the works... frozen water )!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 11:53 AM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Hey, frozen water works in my book....

So we have a theme going for March. Post other ideas t hat we can use other months!

Jen
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast
Northeast Tennessee

Hails from United States

Sorry I didn't see this thread till now. I so enjoyed the paperdoll challenge we had awhile back. I did the crocheted paperdoll set and felt very creative with what I did, making up the outfits as I went, etc. Even a bed (mat) and pillow and a sleeping face and awake face to the doll. I went on to make another set and was going to send them to our little dgd's in Calif but that didn't work out.

Anyway, start time and no finish time is good I think. I need to be stretched in my thinking. It's just that my craft room is such a mess that I can't do nearly what I would like to do till I can get it organized. I am still in the long, slow process of doing this from the move last year!!

Just wanted to weigh in and let you know I think challenges are good.

I am made in God's image so I create.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 11:19 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

and I have been again so involved in other things to even think about challenges! But am still interested, as they give me focus. Yes, I really enjoyed the paper doll inspired challenge.
Jen
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 03:05 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Did y'all want a new challenge in, say, May, since there is a challenge for March and we whizzed right on by April?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 06:59 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Yep, I think so....
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Enthusiast
Northeast Tennessee

Hails from United States