WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2012, 04:17 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark
Artist Residences

Anyone done one? Useful? Did you learn a lot, grow? Did it cost a lot once you got there? I am thinking about applying for one, but it is in the states (which means I will be gone from my family including a 5 and 7 year old) for a month. So it has to be really beneficial for that kind of family upheaval.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 AM
artyczar

Re: Artist Residences

Very beneficial for me. Changed my life in many ways. I learned a lot, it changed my studio practice. I grew 10-fold. I went with a full fellowship so it only cost me a plane ticket and supplies. They fed me. I also applied for a secondary grant to help pay for my supplies. It wasn't too bad after all, financially. Well worth it. But I don't have kids. Made great friends as well. Good luck.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2012, 11:25 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom

I've done two, one organised and funded by myself, and both were extremely useful. One early in my career, one just this winter. For both I only had to pay for my travel there and my food and of course any art materials I needed. (so accommodation was covered, utilities, local transport) However, I would point out that they were only useful because I had already decided on experiments and my plan for the time. And both, oddly, were quite unsatisfying while I was there (I got bored and frustrated, and was eager to leave) and it was an aftereffect that lasted and made me realise the value. So just know it could be a slow-burn sort of benefit.

For both of them it was the isolation away from my usual studio practice that was valuable - giving me the time and space to not have to worry about the commercial viability of the work, to not worry about deadlines.

Your work is really interesting and fun! If you have the time and ideas to explore, it could be very valuable in the long term.

Like artyczar I also don't have kids or family to be away from though, that would make it harder!

Tina.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2012, 03:52 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

Thank you both. Boo-hoo, I've given up on the idea. And I am really depressed about it.

I have to be the grown-up you know, and with 2 small kids it isn't fair to just be gone a month in the school year. Why it really bums me is because I think I had a very good chance of getting in. The residence was sent to me by someone in the company, because of the fit. For example, they have this questionnaire you have to fill out - what type of work you do, how it would fit in, what you will learn from the residence.... and every single question I can fill out totally comfortably, no grabbing at straws, in a way that works perfect to the benefit of this company. NOT because I am trying to benefit the company, or even trying to write it in a way to get in, but because my art really does fit in there. I can't explain it. It just works, naturally. And it's like someone is handing something wonderful to me, and yet I can't take it.

http://www.artallison.com/