WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 07:28 PM
San Diego, California

Hails from United States
Which digital controller to use for glass annealing for my ceramic kiln?

Hi! I am brand new to the forum. I have spent a good deal hours reading all you and I am loving it!

Everybody is so helpful that I am so excited to start with lampworking!

My first class was Wednesday and I am totally in love.

I am planning on buying a HotHead for a starter and will mount all in the outdoors to start. I want to make sure when I upgrade, I do so the right way with the proper equipment.

The real question here...

I have my Paragon Ceramic Kiln A-1198:
PICTURES AT: www paragonkiln blogspot com
I cannot post pictures just yet since I am brand new to the forum

I don't have the resources to buy a glass kiln to anneal my beads. I have been reading a lot and I apparently I could use a ceramic kiln as long as either I babysit' or use a Digital controller.

I also read that the Barlett 3K is the one to go with.. but I am wondering what else is needed?

Let me mention that I bought this kiln planning on ceramics a while ago but never got into it.

If any of you would help on what should I buy to make my kiln work for annealing beads would be awesome!

Thank you so much for your help!

-Karla
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Near Bethlehem PA

Hails from United States
Re: Which digital controller to use for glass annealing for my ceramic kiln?

Hi Karla.

I looked at the kiln in the link that you provided. First off it is not ideal for bead work as it is a top loader. Usually beads are inserted into the kiln while still on the mandrel, with the "handle" end of the mandrel still outside of the kiln. That will be difficult with the kiln that you have. We have one similar to the one that you have at the studio, but it has a small door cut into the side to allow the beads to be inserted through the side of the kiln. My personal opinion is that the the Bartlett controller is overly difficult to install. If you want to use it here is a link to a site that shows how to wire it up http://www.bartinst.com/KILN/standal...ingsample.html

Now you can make your own bead annealer. Here is a link to a past post that has home made bead annealers. Mark shows how he made some nice units, and the instructions from Dudley at Joppa Glass spell out how to make a nice unit. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=972432

My preference are controllers that operate at line voltage and that can directly control the power relay or SSR without the need for the extra control transformer and pilot relay that the Bartlett requires. It simplifies the wiring and reduces the number of components that you need to purchase/service. Watlow makes nice controllers that are simple to use and install. If you want a cheap digital the Solo units from www automationdirect com are also easy to install. To make any of the controllers work you will need to select a controller, a thermocouple (usually type K), a power relay or SSR (solid state relay) and a fuse assembly for the controller. For the Bartlett you will need to add a 240 to 24 vac transformer and a 12 vac pilot relay to the list. Also with the Bartlett you need to use a power relay, not a SSR.

There are ways to make the unit that you have work, but it will always be a compromise.

Carlos
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 05:13 PM
San Diego, California

Hails from United States
Re: Which digital controller to use for glass annealing for my ceramic kiln?

thank you Carlos for taking the time to respond my query.

I have found a glass kiln at a good price. I got a good deal for an ArrowSprings kiln, oxigen concentrator, 10lb of glass, loads of tools for $600.00 altogether. Now, I am working on getting my self a torch

I will keep my ceramic kiln for my PMC jewelry making!

thanks again!

-Karla

Cheers!
Karla