WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Enthusiast
the Deep South!

Hails from United States
Question The perspective of an open door

Hi all! Having problems figuring out how much to foreshorten an open door. This is coming from my imagination, so I don't have any reference photos. I was going on the theory that the swing path is an elipses whose depth is dependent upon the perspective; however, I am wondering if there is not an easier method available?

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Alabama

Hails from United States
Re: The perspective of an open door

Got a door where you are at? If so open it to the approximate spot as in your painting and then position yourself in about the same spot as the point of view of the painting and see how the door looks. I do this all the time.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 03:03 PM

JWCarroll is right - the best way to figure it out is to see it. If you need a smaller perspective of a door, maybe use the cover of a hardcover book to see the angles.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtWench
Hi all! Having problems figuring out how much to foreshorten an open door. This is coming from my imagination, so I don't have any reference photos. I was going on the theory that the swing path is an elipses whose depth is dependent upon the perspective; however, I am wondering if there is not an easier method available?

I'm not sure if its easier, but there is a way. It's been a very long time and I don't think I can explain it like this.

image from:
http://www.khulsey.com/tutorialimage...grid-final.jpg

You have to draw a top view (Plan) of the door (shown at top, not a door in this case). If you drew your door swing in this view it would be a circle.

Connect your edges to the SP, (Station Point).
Where they intersect the picture plane, bring them straight down.
Heights are determined by the side elevation.

That's the basics...there's more rules on where to place vanishing points etc. etc. etc

Last edited by Basalt : 04-18-2012 at 12:30 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 02:27 AM

Just download google sketchup. It's free. You can easily draw the dimensions in meters or whatever you need then position the camera to get the perspective you need. Take a screenshot, done.

This program can help you in many other scenes from your imagination as well if simple structures is what you need.

I studied perspective and the best source I found was from a Gwen White book. I understand it now, but really after I understood how much calculation that thing needs some things are just not worth the hassle.