WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air > Plein Air Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Lord of the Arts
canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Ultimate PA Easel (hopefully)

Les... That set-up looks like a winner for sure. Quick.. get a patent on it!! I have a french companion that I use in studio and love it for the same reason as you.. it is a great flat space to lay everything on. The only thing I would caution you on is that the way you have attached the brace to the top cross piece of the mistress would seem to put a lot of stress on the side joints?! I have a Richeson model.. and I can say 100% that the dovetail joints they use to hold the sides and back together are crapola.. I've had to reinforce them both already (just from the stress of laying my turp jar on one of the side wings!). Your model looks to be a bit sturdier somehow though, so maybe it doesn't matter.

great little set-up ya gots! cheers, Mike

webpage.... www.michaelpieczonka.com
paintblog.... PAINTBLOG
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Lord of the Arts
Phoenix

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by James (or Jimmy Jim)
Les, very impressive. I also tried to figure out a way to use my French companion in a similar way, but didn't follow through.

You might like this one, also made by a WC member (where is he?).

http://www.outsideshore.com/school/a...l/pictures.htm

That is an ingenous little setup.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Lord of the Arts
Phoenix

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySeiler
dang a virtuoso with wood as well!

neat stuff...

well suited for sitting I was thinking, and the last photo seems to confirm that. What about standing, as I'm a stander?? Are you finding you have to hunch over to mix and grab paint?

I'm stink'n impressed!!!!

Thanks Larry. Sometimes I buy a stack of wood and end up with someting more that Sawdust.

This is my fourth kit Larry. I am a stander as well. The photo I posted was at the end of a long day and I was trying to get one more and I was so wasted that I could not stand anymore. This is the first set up where I felt like I was not fighting equipment, trying to find which cubby has that tube of paint I wanted, or feeling like the hunchback of Notre Dame. The pallet is waist level with the tripod extended and I am right at six feet tall. I believe you would find it quite comfortable.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Lord of the Arts
Phoenix

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipstah70
Les... That set-up looks like a winner for sure. Quick.. get a patent on it!! I have a french companion that I use in studio and love it for the same reason as you.. it is a great flat space to lay everything on. The only thing I would caution you on is that the way you have attached the brace to the top cross piece of the mistress would seem to put a lot of stress on the side joints?! I have a Richeson model.. and I can say 100% that the dovetail joints they use to hold the sides and back together are crapola.. I've had to reinforce them both already (just from the stress of laying my turp jar on one of the side wings!). Your model looks to be a bit sturdier somehow though, so maybe it doesn't matter.

great little set-up ya gots! cheers, Mike

I have a Richeson in my studio as well. That is what initiated this whole ordeal. The one that I built and the one that James Coulter markets are fairly bullett proof. The wings are quite solid. No issues there.

In my opinion, this is hands down the best setup I have come across. I endorse it fully if your interest is on painting and not wrestling with equipment.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Lord of the Arts
canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by les lull
I have a Richeson in my studio as well. That is what initiated this whole ordeal. The one that I built and the one that James Coulter markets are fairly bullett proof. The wings are quite solid. No issues there.

In my opinion, this is hands down the best setup I have come across. I endorse it fully if your interest is on painting and not wrestling with equipment.
Very nice Les, Wanna sell me the cut plans? I'd love to make one!

M

webpage.... www.michaelpieczonka.com
paintblog.... PAINTBLOG
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Lord of the Arts
Phoenix

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipstah70
Very nice Les, Wanna sell me the cut plans? I'd love to make one!

M

If you are serious Skip I would be happy to help with measurements or whatever you need.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Idaho, USA

Hails from United States

Les, I liked the simple way you support your palette on the tripod. I did something similar here http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497289. And the plastic one is not really the same...it has to legs underneath. Too complicated!
Bob Bissett - http://www.buildart.com/rare.htm Paint America, Top 100 Winner; Am. Art Collector, Sep 08, page 96-97. http://www.buildart.com/blog.htm For now: Acrylics with Nova Slow Dry Matte Liquid or Golden Open or Old Holland; Artisan or Oils with Liquin; Canon G9 & Nikon D70. http://www.buildart.com/secret_of_wa...xable_oils.htm Review & Youtube demos. http://www.buildart.com/ice_free_earth_now.htm
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Tucson, Arizona

Hails from United States

Wow Les that really folds up there. iii great photo of superstition mountain, love that place. Doing a plein air in goldfield with that in the background in a few weeks.

Les how heavy is it? I only ask because sometimes I hike with my gear upwards to about 45 minutes to an hour till I find that sweet spot sometimes.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2008, 11:29 PM
ClearLake , California

Hails from United States
Re: Les- Ultimate PA Easel design

those are all so cool better than sitting in the back of my truck . the back of the truck can get a little messey . or shall i say the suv... thanks for sharing i have good ideas now. for transporting my wet paintings.i usually use a garbage bag and put my painting on it.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 PM

I, too, have a French Mistress that I love. Often wondered if there was a way to mount it to the tripod. Then I found the setup made by Art Box & Panel. His box is much lighter than the French Mistress and I love the tripod that comes with it. A great setup and not much weight. Freedom at last!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Enthusiast
Kansas

Hails from United States

Looking at this again I can't help but think that if the upper part, the panel holder, was not adjustable it could be smaller. A painter could have at home several in different sizes and only take out one that say was for 9x12 panels. This would only have to accept and clamp a 9" tall panel. Then if the tripod threaded mount was on the bottom edge the thing would be shorter still. This would make the thing smaller and lighter. Now, anyone up to make one with two thin panels or laminates and a 1/2" core of closed cell foam such as Gator board?
Have fun, Dave