WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Enthusiast
Finland

Hails from Finland
What i think is weakest area coloured pencils colour ranges ?

What i think is weakest area coloured pencils colour ranges ? to me i think coloured greys and super lights but lightfast hues. i know there is blending etc but still. ps. i want more single pigment coloured pencils.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 01:38 AM
Enthusiast
Colorado Rockies

Hails from United States
Re: What i think is weakest area coloured pencils colour ranges ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPQ
What i think is weakest area coloured pencils colour ranges ? to me i think coloured greys and super lights but lightfast hues. i know there is blending etc but still. ps. i want more single pigment coloured pencils.

I think the strength of color range depends on the brand. I am using Prismacolors, and they currently produce 150 colors, including lots of grays and blues.
And since each brand has some unique colors, you can expand your collection even more if you use multiple brands.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Canada

Hails from Canada

I also use prismas but branched out to some faber castell.
having said that, I don't think any single color can match the depth of color that can be achieved by layering multiple colors, whether they are analogous or complimentary.

I've been reading on color theory and practicing with the primary colors and I'm "finding" so many new colors that were "hidden" in my pencil box...lol....it's opened my eyes to the "color" aspect of our art.

still fun to have hundreds of colors to choose from though : ))
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Hails from United Kingdom

I am with you Johanne -all those lovely colours.....I admit that sometimes I just sit and stare at the diferent draws of pencils in my set, mine are Karisma's/Prismacolor 120, I don't have any other brands though.
I have been worrying about replacing my colours given that so many ppl are less than impressed with the quality that Prismacolor are producing now? I really don't know which brand to go for instead -I love my Prisma's .

I also agree with you with regards layering your colours they are much more blendable and playful than is sometimes acknowledged by non CP users.

Ali
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 02:46 AM

Faber Castell is a bit light on skin tone colours. I mean yes there is light, medium and dark flesh plus cinnamon but there's no peaches or salmon colours- I use Caran d'Ache to fill that gap.

And don't talk to me about Prismacolors Black grape/Cherry or Raspberry- I haven't managed to find any other brand that matches those colours!

The other color I have trouble with is a true tan - a light brown. Yes Caran d'Ache has Beige and Light Beige but these are greyish in hue and indeed I often use them as a type of grey. The other tan I have found Creatacolor is actually a equivalent to light flesh, so is pink toned.

And realistic greens- you often have to mix to get these to actual plant colours and that's in all brands.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 07:56 AM
PA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Girl
The other color I have trouble with is a true tan - a light brown. Yes Caran d'Ache has Beige and Light Beige but these are greyish in hue and indeed I often use them as a type of grey. The other tan I have found Creatacolor is actually a equivalent to light flesh, so is pink toned.

Tan is a frustrating color. I use Prisma Ginger Root, but it's not a true tan. And I haven't found a really effective way to make tan with other colors. Some combination of Ginger Root, Peach Beige and Sand can work.

Last edited by ocmd123 : 04-15-2012 at 08:03 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado Rockies

Hails from United States

Cream is the color I have trouble with. The Prismacolor cream is really a pale yellow, in my opinion.

I do agree with JohanneL that mixing colors is the way to go. You get much richer, lifelike colors that way.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Florida

Hails from United States

I find a paucity in yellow-greens.
All brands, and the same for pastel. No true yellow green.