WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Winter Park, FL

Hails from United States
Re: WIP...new attempt

I thank you all for the encouragement....as I now lift my head up off the drawing table!
The image size is 28"x30"...what was I thinking???!!! Probably because my graphite portraits are usually large.....
I do feel better....the stockings on the 2nd figure actually look like nylons (I think!).
THANK GOD there is no deadline except my own self imposed one....I'm headed to DC the last week of April and wanted to take it with me.....maybe not.

One question that I probably should have asked sooner....what is the best type of paper to use (especially doing portraits)? This is on Strathmore Bristol smooth but it is still difficult to get the skin to look smooth.This one is wayyyy better than the 1st CP portrait I did....I like the portrait but the skin looked "pebbly" or something (I posted that one sometime ago...still haven't figured out to get my cp skin to looked like Anne Kuhlberg's! LOL! (I know, I know, I know....got many, many, many more years of practice before that happens!)
But thanks for the help and encouragement...I worked a couple more hours on today and will post again tomorrow maybe. (My phone doesn't take very clear pictures..or maybe it's me! but I'll see if I can get someone else to take a photo and post it)
Woman, Creative, Intuitive, Mystical, Magical - I am the Ark of the Spirit, I am a Person of Color, I am an Artist! "Paint what is in your heart. It's never too late to be what you should have always been".
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

There will be many different opinions on that but I use Canson Mi-Teintes and Stonehenge...it is looking great

Portraity
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Winter Park, FL

Hails from United States

Do you use the smooth side of Canson's??
Woman, Creative, Intuitive, Mystical, Magical - I am the Ark of the Spirit, I am a Person of Color, I am an Artist! "Paint what is in your heart. It's never too late to be what you should have always been".
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannet
Do you use the smooth side of Canson's??
Yes, makes for a really nice piece

Portraity
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Lord of the Arts
The Oregon outback....

Hails from United States

Looking fabulous! I admire your perseverance...especially with the pattern in the dress! The most I have ever done is three and yes it was tedious...but as others have said it will be well worth the effort in the end.

Sean
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Winter Park, FL

Hails from United States

I've spent approximately 18 more hours in the past week on the drawing and I do get frustrated, want to "throw in the towel" but I keep picking up the pencils and going forward.
I think I probably need (I want to) to see a "real" colored pencil drawing...or maybe not. (No I've never seen the work of a colored pencil artist except in books)
Again I apologize if the image looks fuzzy and the original photo being in the first post!
but, oh well here is what I have so far....:

Help needed:
I penciled in the background with graphite (my intent was to combine graphite and colored pencils) but as I have moved forward with the drawing my dilemma is the solid block of "black" formed by the 3rd & 4th figures next to each other and the 4th figure has a black scarf which will be against the black background! Any suggestions on how I can resolve this dilemma?
I've thought of changing the color of the 3rd figures dress (artistic license?) and making the scarf another color (navy blue?)

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Hails from United Kingdom

This is looking fantastic and really worth all those hours you have put in .

Of course you can use artistic license I just love the patterns and colours in the outfits of the first two figures. Is there any reason why you couldn't change the other figures outfits even slightly? If you do decide to change the scarf colour I would suggest something a little lighter than navy blue only because as you have already realised you need them to stand out from the background.

Keep going its looking really amazing

Ali
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannet
Help needed:
I penciled in the background with graphite (my intent was to combine graphite and colored pencils) but as I have moved forward with the drawing my dilemma is the solid block of "black" formed by the 3rd & 4th figures next to each other and the 4th figure has a black scarf which will be against the black background! Any suggestions on how I can resolve this dilemma?
I've thought of changing the color of the 3rd figures dress (artistic license?) and making the scarf another color (navy blue?)

My blacks are never used for a black color I pretty much never use black, I mostly use tuscan red and indigo blue, I would suggest keeping with your background as you have it and if you do use the Tuscan red laid down first and then the indigo blue it will result in a nice deep rich black that is different from the background. Very nice coloring...you are picking up speed on this piece and is coming together very nicely.

Portraity
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Quebec

Hails from Canada

Ouhh this is comnig along great! Your family is gonna be so pleased..
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from France

Your family will surely love it ! It is great and WOW ,what a size !
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Immortalized

It's looking wonderful, what a surprise this is going to be (:

Paintings: http://www.flickr.com/photos/safari_jane/
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Winter Park, FL

Hails from United States

George924, thank you for the idea to use tuscan red and indigo blue to create a different "black"!!! I did use them and added "expresso (brown)" on top to make the sweater an even different shade of "black"!! I think it works..
Sooo another two days of consistent working (still not finished) and I've got the fourth figure's face, flower & shirt to complete but I'm getting to like what I have done!
I've added some indigo blue into the background also.....
Any suggestions? Also I've read that you should rub a soft cloth over colored pencil to get rid of "wax bloom".....I don't see any (don't know what it is exactly) but should I use a soft cloth and rub over the entire drawing?? Won't it smear?
Here's what I now have done....... (again apologies for the camera phone "fuzzyness")
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

I really don't worry about wax bloom until the end of the painting..but if you start to see the color get a white cloud then I just use a cotton ball or tissue and rub in circles, like waxing a car. No it won't smear it will get a nice shiny surface to it.

This piece is turning out better and better every time you post the updates...I really like the expresso, It gives the piece a deeper and nicely richer color...I'll have to play with this combination of colors...

Portraity
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 05:39 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

Wow, just stunning so far. I am watching this with delight.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
My website: chammi-kaiser.de
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Winter Park, FL

Hails from United States

Well, I've finally finished the drawing! I've learned a lot of what not to do using colored pencils so maybe the next project will be simpler!! I used different pencils on the fourth figure...I had read in some book about Verithins and Colorerase pencils but I didn't read any where where it said those pencils incised the paper like a knife!! So the face of the fourth figure has incised lines running through it...which would be ok if I meant for them to be where they are....it was quite difficult trying to "fill them" in with color. Don't know if I succeeded. I'm just glad I'm done. Won't do anything in colored pencil that size (28x30) again!!!! LOL! Whew...i'm done!
(Again I apologize for the fuzziness of my phone camera picture taking skills!)