WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Enthusiast
Eureka, California

Hails from United States
Discussing - Pegwell Bay, Kent by William Dyce 1858

William Dyce
Pegwell Bay, Kent - a Recollection of October 5th 1858
25" x 35" 63 × 89 cm
oil on canvas - Tate Britain

I just came across this piece online and it is really hitting home for me. As I was looking for more information on it I came this really brilliant short video, where two art historians discuss the piece.

The interpretation in this video really hits home for me. I have always thought that there was something lovely about making art that depicts your family and the passage of time. I love the sense of quietude and contemplation as these people take time out of there daily life to be in relationship with nature and each other. This piece is like a time capsule that will continue to speak to us about the universal experience of humanity for centuries to come.

The piece is inviting me to attempt a large multi-figural landscape. Something I have been meaning to do for a long time. Now I look at this and see how time slips away and I better get to work on these ideas I have been playing with.

What are your thoughts on this work and the themes brought up in the video?
Does it make you think of other works that inspire you? Post them here!

Last edited by ArtofAndrewDaniel : 04-16-2012 at 02:28 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Enthusiast
Eureka, California

Hails from United States
Re: Discussing - Pegwell Bay, Kent by William Dyce 1858

I think the direction and intent are really intriguing to me. I also like the mixing of the themes of family and nature.

Here is an artist who does mostly pictures of his family, I have always been impressed by the depth of emotional relationship that comes through. His name is Brett Bigbee.