WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Stouffville, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Latest Gelatin Prints

Here's mine (I'll add as I go along). Feel free to add yours. It's fun to scroll down and see what everyone's up to.

done with stencils. The pattern in orange is an inscribed foam plate pressed onto the inked gelatin.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 11:37 AM

Hails from Canada
Re: Latest Gelatin Prints

And two more. Thank back to the drawing board.

And can never resist picking out abstract elements in the details (someday, I'll may go all abstract, I keep leaning that direction)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 12:05 PM

INgrid: As always, the freedom in your work is inspiring. I can study all I want but can't quite figure it out... which is good. I love the guitar. As a guitar player, I *might* have to borrow this idea (which I guess we've all borrowed from Picasso and on down the line).

Questions: How did you make the thin blue guitar shaped outline, overlaying the shape? Drawn? Some sort of string ghost?

Also, refresh my memory: what ink/colors are you using these days? Relief inks or Akua?
I have some new dogs and cats that are near the end of the series. I will post a couple today.

Mark
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 01:02 PM

Hails from Canada

Thanks Mark, and I would think guitars and any other basic shape are fair game. I wouldn't call that 'borrowing', I was thinking of you when I did it. I recall you have some pretty cool musical themed prints on your blog.
As for the thin blue line--I wish I knew. Honest. It's one of those uncontrollable things, where I put the guitar stencil down, and then lifted all the ink I could with newsprint, then lifted the guitar. The mystery is, why did the guitar stencil lift almost as much ink as multiple presses of newsprint? Because I would love to use this as a technique, but I think it's one that works sometimes, like when the moon is full and the breeze is from the north and jupiter is aligned with mars. Must try it again today.
I'm using speedball waterbased, which is frustrating. I bought the large 1 lb jars, as I was getting good results with the small tubes, but the jars seem to be not so good. Especially the red, which was as runny as silkscreen ink. I had to leave the jar open for three weeks to get it thick enough to print with. Someday, when I am rich and famous I will buy myself vats of the good stuff, Daniel Smith or whatever. But right now, if I see $$$ in my head, I just cramp up creatively.
And, completely off topic, what style of guitar? I play classical--rather badly.
Forgot to add, speaking of string ghosts. The curly 'strings' on the raven prints are my hair! (on purpose, this time)

Last edited by kaslkaos : 04-12-2012 at 01:09 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 01:57 PM

aha! I *think* I might know how you got that string guitar line. I've actually thought about doing this when I am doing a newsprint lift and notice the 'stringy' ink impressions on the 2nd and 3rd lifts (if I want a really clean ghost).
Perhaps if you do the lift but DON'T take the stencil off, then reprint. It will print that little ghost line that remains around the edge of the stencil (?)

A guy who does rather sterile but effective reduction lino block prints of neon signs and buildings in LA told me he always uses Daniel Smith inks and ALWAYS uses tubes because he always has issues with the cans of inks (too runny/drying up/getting crusty/ick). I realize as much as any (because I've been unemployed for months) that $$ is an issue, but DS inks are just richer, deeper, and stay 'open' a bit longer than Speedball... so I can fart around placing stencils or ideas longer. Some things - like using a better olive oil or buying locally produced meats and veggies or a nicer spirit to sip on or a tastier local beer - are just worth paying for. Life is meant for the senses and sometimes you have to make the senses happier. The colors with DS make my eyes and brain happier so I don't even think about the $ any more... besides, I have a secret cheap paper source where I cut costs a bit. (get on the Daniel SMith email list. They offer free shipping every couple months - a great way to save)

Okay here are a couple new, hot off the gelatin prints (I may actually quick-mat a couple of these and stick them up for my art reception this friday. Apparently the folks in the gallery have been getting more comments about the dogs than my abstract stuff. Go figure.)

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 02:30 PM

Hails from Canada

Oh, these are great!
I'll take note of buying the potted ink. I think I can buy Caligo inks locally, may try those (also watersoluble, but oil based) and add to my growing collection.
but I came here to solve the thin blue line mystery. I'm a very messy print-maker, so the stencil was still on the table. It turns out that I just spontaneous cut out a guitar from a plane (un-sealed) file folder, so the cardboard was very absorbent and sucked up most of the ink. Something I'll try again soon, as it may be a little more predictable than I first thought.
Of course, now I have to get back downstairs and try out your theory. (note to self, take notes next time)
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaslkaos
Oh, these are great!
I'll take note of buying the potted ink. I think I can buy Caligo inks locally, may try those (also watersoluble, but oil based) and add to my growing collection.
but I came here to solve the thin blue line mystery. I'm a very messy print-maker, so the stencil was still on the table. It turns out that I just spontaneous cut out a guitar from a plane (un-sealed) file folder, so the cardboard was very absorbent and sucked up most of the ink. Something I'll try again soon, as it may be a little more predictable than I first thought.
Of course, now I have to get back downstairs and try out your theory. (note to self, take notes next time)

Oh i see what happened. Yeah, when I make the stencils I always seal them with gel medium. So the fresh stencil just wicked up the ink except for the very edge. I LOVE that line print effect. Will have to work on it.

Accidents are what Gelatin printing seems to be about, happy accidents.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 AM

Hails from Canada

So, I went further with the unsealed stencil, and here's some more, using that knowledge to add in some finer lined focal points. The paisley is an inscribed foam/polystyrene plate, and the blue 'ribs' are from some glassware.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 03:49 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Absolutely beautiful prints, how inspiring! I was making gelatin cubes to eat the other day, and nearly subverted them to experimentation with ink instead....maybe this summer I'll have time to do some printing.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 07:17 PM

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaslkaos
Oh, these are great!

Hi, I have tried Caligo inks and they do not work for me. You are getting great results anyway, as I always like the happenstance of gelatin plate printing.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 02:30 PM

Hails from Canada

Thanks so much Newday,
Just checked your blog, wow! You have some beautiful work there.
I would love to know what/how the caligo inks did not work. So far, it is the only other choice from speedball (for pick-up purchases). I've already ruled out Akua, as it doesn't sound great for gelatin prints.
Now I'll take another peak at your blog. ;-)