WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Oregon

Hails from United States
Boy With Balloons - Structured Critiques please

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Boy With Balloons - Structured Critiques please
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a picture of my grandson with his birthday balloons on a sunny day. I think I could have done better on the values,but am not sure how since this picture will hang in his room and I didn't want it to be too dark. Any comments on what I could do better , anything ! Your advice helps me to improve !!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything ! I am trying to loosen up my brushstrokes,but I was tight with his face , somewhat with his hands and shorts . Any suggestions to improve this picture are appreciated !! I am going to also attach the photo I used for reference .
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 10:59 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Boy With Balloons - Structured Critiques please

ha!
love this!
his head got a little bit too tall

otherwise, love the effect

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 02:29 AM
Oregon

Hails from United States

La,

You are right ! I kept trying to fluff his hair a bit ! LOL I shall fix that ! I am very flattered that you like much of the painting ! Thank you !
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 02:16 AM

What I like:

- I like how you painted your grandson. The face, the skin tones, the shading shows the form.

- The clothes complement the balloon colors nicely.

Places for improvement:

- The long thick strokes going in all directions of the foreground and background are a bit distracting. Also they are too close in value to the center of the painting. I think you should simulate softer colors and random short grassy strokes in the foreground fading slowly as you go to the background. Just ease the pressure and color value going back in the horizon.

- Let the sky be windy curvy lines showing direction to the right, think like van goh skies. That will go nicely with the balloons.

- The balloon in the photo are going to the right, but in the painting seem to be going everywhere and that balloon at the bottom is defying the laws of physics no :-) If all the other ones are up, why is this down? I would take it out or paint the bucket.

Summary:

I think your grandson will be very pleased. This is beautiful.

Last edited by FarisBermamet : 04-17-2012 at 02:56 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 03:47 AM
Oregon

Hails from United States

FarisBermamet ,

Thank you for taking the time for suggestions. I rather gave up ! After a while I went ahead and finished the painting , so I am filing your suggestions for next time. Next time I will work to have more direction to my strokes ! I can see where the groundwork is a bit wild . The sky? I shall take another look at VanGogh ! Yeah, probably should have done the bucket . I was afraid it would not translate well into the painting, so I had one balloon lose some of its umph and drop into that position. I was afraid that the balloons were too much the same. I am starting another one of my other grandson shortly, and shall keep your suggestions in mind ! I am changing my style and need the critiques to keep me straightened out ! Thank you !!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 05:27 AM

No problem, anytime. Send me a message about it if you can please or I might miss the post though.

Good luck on the next one.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 02:19 AM
Texas

Hails from United States

Made me smile right off! Love it!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2012, 03:03 AM
Oregon

Hails from United States

Thank you for your comments ! Bertie, I am glad that you got a good feeling from this painting ! LA , this second photo shows his head shortened a bit ! I do tend to fluff hair ! Must be from all the years of backcombing ! LOL FarisBermamet , even though I said the picture was finished, I have not varnished it yet , so last night I spent a bit of time trying to punch up some of the values and then started messing with the ground on the viewer's left and then totally repainted the viewer's left and then fooled with the extreme background and then decided that since I fooled with a highlight on the shirt that I messed up some balloon strings and then finally, in a frenzy, turned the picture to the wall and went to bed and have not looked at it all day as my brain is fried with the imprint of this painting !! I don't want to think of how long it is possible to pick at a picture - maybe forever ?? So now it is finished for better or for worse , because I still don't like the left hand ground and if I don't stop myself, I am going to end up repainting the painting !! No wonder famous artists were frequently considered to be a bit mentally " off " !! Neurotic and obsessive compulsive come to mind ! LOL Thank you all for your help !! I love this site !!

I am having problems uploading the slightly revised picture. So will send this and try later with the picture !
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2012, 03:11 AM
Oregon

Hails from United States

One more try to upload the revised picture tonight ! Nope, not going to work tonight. I tried both medium size and small size . I will try again tomorrow !
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Oregon

Hails from United States

Ok, another day to try to upload the revised picture !
Attached Images

Last edited by she1122 : 04-20-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Try for bigger picture
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2012, 06:26 PM

I understand the feeling of the artist who went kookoo trust me :-)

Well... this is... great... I don't know what you did to the values but the whole thing looks a lot better.

The face is beaming. The foreground is better, looks like tall grass now.

I have no correction comments whatsoever.

Wow, very nice, this will be memorable for sure. Congrats.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Minnesota

Hails from United States

I think his head looks a little like a bobblehead...too dark of a shadow under his chin. Soften that nearly black shadow to allow his head to be a part of his body a little more.
JMHO>
Sandybells
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Oregon

Hails from United States

Sandybells - ok, I can lighten that line under his chin . At one point I decided his chin was too large, so I took some dark and stroked it along clipping off tiny bits of chin , almost like carving bits off of wood ! It will be easy to lighten it ! Yes, I can see the Bobblehead inclination. Thanks !

FarrisBermamet , thanks for your help ! I am learning that if I look at a picture of my painting, I can often see details to change or use to enhance, better than when I am staring at the painting ! Interesting ! I have no idea why,but it seems to work ! I am also suspicious that the lighting was a bit better on this photo than on the original and thus the picture looks a bit better . I did do a little glazing with burnt umber plus ultramarine to lower the background values a bit and I punched up a few spots with white . I am still learning about values and how to look at colors to see their values . I am honored that you like it !