WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from France
Re: Spring Contemplation - a WIP

It is becoming beautiful !We'll keep watching Mary.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 03:48 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Interesting WIP! Definitely a spiritual theme. I like the innocence of your demure little nude, an allegorical Spring figure that's lovely. Good foliage and interesting treatment of the waterfall. Looking forward to more progress!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Hails from United Kingdom

This is looking fabulous Marie, I think you may have been right previously when you wrote that the values would all come good when you added warmth to the foreground -I can already see the difference with that warmer green added for the grass.

This is going to be a winner!!

Hugs,

Ali
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Enthusiast
Germany

Very, very nice, Marie. It has a beautiful atmosphere!
----------------
Angela
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Enthusiast
Narbonne, France

Hails from France

Very beautiful so far, I admire your foliage and trees in the background, they are superbly done! it will be a nice interpretation of springl
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Enthusiast
Nottinghamshire, UK

Hails from England

Thanks to Robert, Peggy, Johanne, Mado, Robert Sloan, Ali, Angela and Agnes. I am so that you like it. I have lived with it for so long in my head, I'm still waiting for it all to go wrong. Hopefully I will be able to do another up date tomorrow
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast
Nottinghamshire, UK

Hails from England

As promised, todays update. I'm so excited, I've finally started adding bunnies, 2 so far.
I have been waiting to give these little guys a home since I photographed them all having
a great time in Scotland 3 years ago. I have put up some close ups.
I can see the finish line now so I'm going to take my time, back to work tomorrow.
Let me know what you all think

#68   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 AM
A WC! Legend
New Bedford, MA

Hails from United States

Your background looks crisper and more defined on the left side than it does on the right. Will you be carrying that over as you go? Love the bunnies, glad you're finding this a joyous success.

Rob
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Lake Tapps, WA

Hails from United States

It has been so good seeing this progression. You are doing a wonderful job!
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 02:07 PM

The background is great!
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast
Nottinghamshire, UK

Hails from England

Thanks for commenting Rob, Lizzydo and Pencilmadness, I really do value your opinions.
For anyone thats interested I have put up a close up of my main figure

#72   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Your Bunnies are delightful and it was great to see, that close -up the side on one has real definition and detail.

Although I love your Spring lady I do still feel that her calf and foot still look a little odd -is there anything more you can do there? Have you a reference that you are working from for her?

All in all this has been brilliant to follow and I love the overall theme and look to this piece. Do you work in layers Marie and if so how many approx ? It's not easy to tell and I am very interested in your method -I hope you don't mind me asking?

Hugs,

Ali
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Enthusiast
Nottinghamshire, UK

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz
Your Bunnies are delightful and it was great to see, that close -up the side on one has real definition and detail.

Although I love your Spring lady I do still feel that her calf and foot still look a little odd -is there anything more you can do there? Have you a reference that you are working from for her?

All in all this has been brilliant to follow and I love the overall theme and look to this piece. Do you work in layers Marie and if so how many approx ? It's not easy to tell and I am very interested in your method -I hope you don't mind me asking?

Hugs,

Ali

Thanks Ali, I really appreciate the support. I know what you mean about my Spring lady but to make it work I had to pose her as if she is sitting with her feet pointing outwards. It looked very unnatural if her feet were tucked underneath her. I have no photo reference for her at all. I drew her after studying a lot of Andrew Loomis's lessons on drawing figures, which means I have had no help at all on doing her colouring but I do like a challenge.
I do work in layers, how many depends on the paper. This is a CP watercolour paper and quite textured and starts to object at around layer 6 or 7 so I've had to be very organised about what colours I want( I'm not usually). I tend to sort out which pencils for each section, check out how I think they will relate to the rest and then go for it. The battery eraser is my best friend.
Thanks so much for taking an interest, I hope I havent bored you.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Not at all Marie and thank you for sharing your process its very interesting.
I am in awe of how well you have captured your lady given she is not from a reference. I can see what your saying about her pose and the placement of her feet, in that case it may well be just a need to add a little more shadow contouring on her visible foot to get across the position .
Is Andrew Loomis from a book you have or is he on line?

Again thank you for sharing your secrets I am looking forward to seeing this completed .

Hugs,

Ali
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 AM
Enthusiast
Germany

Marie, I admire your approach. Very well considered and brave at the same time .
The bunnies are great! The lady has such a peaceful expression and her pose is nice. If you are unsecure about calf and foot perhaps some gras culms could help to integrate this part more? Maybe the calf could be a little bit "rounder"?
Angela