WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#181   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 12:55 AM
Lord of the Arts
McCook, NE

Hails from United States
Re: The Spotlight - April 2012 - Spring!

Hi linettalee. Welcome to the Spotlight! You must have read my mind. My first thought when I saw this ref was...."nap time!" lol

I really like what you've added and really does imply nap time!

I finished the cardinal, just haven't had time to take a pic and upload. But the trike is next! Great work!

And I just noticed you're in Denver also! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by linettalee
Lucy, Wow, I love how you handled this little vignette! It is terrific and I am happy you did not post it any earlier because I was almost ready to put mine on and I saw your beauty. I may have not done this at all with your version popping at me.

But, here goes with my rendition of this wonderful little tricycle, which I think maybe should be called "NAP TIME". It morphed into more of a still life maybe. Got my daily pastel practice and this is definitely out of my zone. 10x12 AS colorfix

Christine Neidhofer
  #182   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Santa Clara, CA

Hails from United States

Muffin...love your cardinal...its so beautiful...

Chuas..thanks for your kind comments on my cardinal though I was personally not too happy with it...your cardinal is absolutely gorgeous and so striking against that black background...

Tuscanni...you echoed my thoughts when you asked that question about seeing your painting in parts...I face that almost all of the time...especially areas where I feel it differs from the reference pic....I need to consciously tell myself to look at it objectively and not in comparison with a reference pic or someone else painting...I struggle with this a lot...

Linetta....lovely tricycle painting...perfect piece for a kiddie bedroom...

and yes Wetcanvas is one of the best things that happened to me last year....

Prashanti.
  #183   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 08:02 AM
East Coast

Hails from United States

Hi All!
Lucylove, your tricycle looks like it's ready to go!! I loved your pastel application throughout; there's so much movement in your work. It's a fitting tribute to active toddlers and trikes cycling up and down the sidewalks!
Linet, I agree with Robert...great depiction, edges, and it has that 1950s-60s vibe. Great primary colors! Good choices in adding the other items, which enhance the composition.

Regarding formal art classes - I've taken several college courses during the years, mostly focusing on drawing and composition. However, that was during the time art profs just handed us the charcoal, and said start drawing! Information, approaches, techniques, etc. were not taught. I've learned more from WC and Johannes Vloothius' webinars in the past 4-5 months than I've learned from my "formal" classes. And like some of you, I've read or referenced close to 80-90 art technique books over the years. I should post a photo of my studio...I've got two floor to ceiling bookshelves just filled with art books. (Wondering if there's such a thing as an art book hoarder !)

We've touched upon some Art History discussions here, which brought to mind one of my reference books that was required in my formal art history classes that may help y'all. It's called, "
The Annotated Mona Lisa: A Crash Course in Art History from Prehistoric to Post-Modern by

Carol Strickland

This is a basic primer on Art History from the stone age to the 1950-60s. It's a great resource that is very readable, and an invaluable chronology of art through the ages. It's on Amazon for around $11 used, and $15 new. Some of you may find this helpful.
  #184   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 09:57 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Jess (Lucylove) - A very nice painting of the tricycle and surrounding scene! And very painterly! I almost didn't include this ref because the tricycle is very linear and I thought - How can this be painted in a painterly way? But you did it!

Linetta - I like your take on the tricycle, too! Nice additions to the composition! It does have a nostalgic feel to it!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #185   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Denver-metro Colorado

Hails from United States

Robert, Ann, Christine, Prashanti, Artcat, Don: thanks to you all for your comments on my tryke piece. I thought this was a more playful and fun approach for an item that I spent years of seeing in my backyard (4 kids). I purposefully tried to get my memory to recall the retro-type items that always were there with it, like no self-respecting tryke went outside without putting on their streamers first. And, I definitely think that it was a bit nostalgic for me, Don.

And, Prashanti, you got it - - - just a few days ago, a beautiful baby boy great-grandson was added to my family ! So, maybe this will grace his room for a few years.

Christine, Howdy, neighbor ... love meeting local artists!

Last edited by linettalee : 04-15-2012 at 10:16 AM.
  #186   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Jess and Linnettalee, I love both your renditions of the tricycle. Very nostalgic and would be wonderful framed in a child's room!
  #187   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Immortalized
sometimes Texas/sometimes Colorado

Hails from United States
Red face Re: The Spotlight - April 2012 - Spring!

Really amazing the different approaches to the references this month, learning quite a bit by this; Great paintings by all; appreciate the info and various techniques on pastels!!!

I did the female cardinal, still needs some tweaking, so may go back to it in next couple days to fix certain areas. Thanks for the great refs! Done on uart 600 with mount vision, and nupastels. Oh, and underpainting with pastels and alcohol...
  #188   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Dania,
Beautiful Cardinal! The warm orange colors in the bird contrast so nicely against the cool background greens. She looks very realistic. You've shown a great deal of skill in interpreting the bird so well.

Hi Ann,
I'm delighted that you're participating in the group. Thanks for your commentary, compliments, and continued contributions to the forum.

In my humble opinion, you can't learn to be an artist from books, classes, or from others. Although, you can learn ABOUT art that way. Becoming an artist is something you must distill from your own soul. Paint, paint, paint, and don't stop painting… Each time you paint, examine your soul--as represented by the work--and constantly ask yourself: Is this the message I wanted to convey? If not-- get mad. Throw it in the trash. Burn it. Flush it. Whatever… start over. Do it again until YOUR message is on the canvas. Putting someone else's message there (by learning from a text book or "mentor) will only make you a good copyist, not an artist. This opinion comes from me--and I don't sell art--so take that caveat to heart.

As for ingesting paints…or any other mind-altering drug…and it's effect on creativity: I won't advocate drug use. Never. But, whether virtuous or not, I can't deny that many artists who have changed the world, did so in an altered state-of-mind, whether induced (by stimulants), or not (just plain crazy). I think there are plenty of ways to alter your state-of-mind (or…FREE…your mind), without using artificial means.

Chuas,
Dramatic Cardinal on black! I agree with Don--it sings, and I can hear it. Lovely!

LinettaLee,
So glad to have you with us! I'm learning with you and hoping to travel further along similar paths!

Lucy,
Excellent trike. I wanted to try this as well. Your impressionist take on it is inspiring. Very well done!

Dave

#189   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 04:00 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from England

OMG! I go away overnight and when I come back so much has happened here!

Ann, I am really touched by your opinion of my ability as an artist! My "natural ability" is to be able to copy, pure and simple, what is in front of me in life or in a photo. At the other end of the scale, for example, Dave's (Greenbrier) natural ability seems to be to express on paper how he views things from within, not just with his eyes. Everyone IMHO has some form of "artistic" ability. The thing is to build on that and diversify from it. My way of doing this has been to do as much drawing and painting as possible. I'm not one for books and theory. Hands on is my way of learning (and often a more convoluted way....how can one learn by experience until one appreciates that there is something to be learned?)
When I caught the bug, over 4 years ago now, I copied photos and the work was, to me, only good if it closely resembled the photo as much as possible. I was not a good enough copyist to call myself a photorealist but that was what I was striving for. On wet canvas people would helpfully suggest that I tried to make the subject look more rounded (less flat they meant) or that I put less emphasis on background elements. I would thank them graciously yet go on my merry way, afterall, the photo was king!
I don't remember when I started to realise that there was more to art than copying religiously. But it gradually filtered through and, by the time I attended Johannes' first free webinars, my brain was receptive to his teaching. Thinking back those webinars could not have come at a better time for me. Almost as if it were planned somehow!
Add to that the Spotlights, threads in the studio and stuff I have picked up on other websites and little lights start coming on in my head. Thing is, the more I learn the more I realise just how much more there is to learn and how much further I have to go.
Thank goodness it's still fun

check out the Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #190   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 04:29 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from England

....And in case the above sounded arrogant, I'm having computer problems and wanted to get that posted before it disappeared!

Artcat, thanks! It's amazing what a few minor changes can do for the feel of a painting isn't it. I also appreciate your thoughts on how artists can go about moving forward with their work and taking it to new levels!

Chuas, thank you also! I love your Bird! It's a very impressive piece with that dark BG and, whether or not the colours were as you envisaged, they make for a very exciting portrait!

Cali, I so agree with you about WC being a University in itself. For me the only way to build on that would be to actually meet the folks here, working together and talking about art face to face. Now wouldn't that be cool

Linetta, well said!

Don, You hit the nail on the head I think. Because my natural state is to copy it is hard for me to even try to be loose and expressive. The sloppiness creeps in, I recognise it as such and then I redress the balance by making it tighter and more detailed. I must allow myself the time and experience to get where I want to be and if I get there, what next???

Ann, about seeing your own work differently.....All you see of another's work is the finished product. You haven't shared the experience of getting there and know nothing of the grief which may have ensued! I think one lives ones own work and can never be as intimate with, or critical of, a finished piece done by someone else. Likewise, as Don says, it's hard to step back and see your own work in any sort of objective way. Time does help though as it distances you from the experience of the painting and you can begin to see the finished work for what it is.

Jess, love the trike! This is loose and expressive but still has the identity of the subject of the photo, a Tricycle on a path on a Spring day.

Linetta, I love your take on the Trike too. Imaginitive and relevant. It works! Big congrats on the Great grandson!

Tammy, Great effort on the Bird! The feathers are very well done and the drawing is pretty accurate too.

Dave, I agree with what you say about art. I would advocate keeping the stinkers which made you angry though. Sometimes they help you see how far you've got finding your vision!

Phew, did as much ctrl c as typing in this but looks like I got away with it!

check out the Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #191   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Bradenton, Florida

Hails from United States

Ruthie, I agree about coming together and talking about art face to face. Lets organize an online committee to see how we could figure that out. I've never done it, but Skype advertises group video calling. I'm up for it. Are you?
  #192   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Soulbro - love the cardinal! She's beautiful, and her eyes are really engaging.

Ruthie - lovely willows, beautiful reflections!

Dave - wow, I love the poster-like quality of your cardinal - very graphic and exciting!

Sherry - I love that you did a close-up, wonderful bold daffodil. ☺ You definitely mastered getting a yellow out of your colours, too!

Ruthie - your swans are stunning. Absolutely amazing.

Jim - gorgeous daffodil! Looks like an oil painting by an old master.

Christine - I love your bold fluid look to your daffodil - very exciting!

Irmaleo - wow, first time doing water? Beautiful!

Cali - I love the drama you put into your forsythia!

Ann - lovely close-up of the daffodil - perfect for your blooms event!

Prashanti - I always love seeing process shots - your cardinal is beautiful!

LinettaLee - wow - stunning! I am especially in love with her eye - so perfectly done.

Dave - psychedelic daffodil! I love your style.

Tammy - lovely! I especially love the cygnet. So cute!

Cali - I love the bold colours and the crisp detail on your daffodil.

Dania - lovely cardinal! I especially love her beak. ☺

Chuas2 - wow, so bold against the black! You did a great job getting the brights - beautiful!

Jess - I love the old-fashioned watery look to your trike. Lovely!

LinettaLee - wow! Bold colours really make the trike pop - reminds me of a '50s ad. ☺

Tammy - great start to the cardinal! I love the fluid green background and the beautiful plumage.
  #193   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuas2
I attended Oakland's CCAC for a while and have studied with three different teachers, but not long enough to call a "formal" art education. But I've studied on my own, read tons of books, gone to hundreds of galleries, talked to many people and feel that I know almost as much as if I had gone for a full MFA. Can't put all of it to use because I have more skill than talent, but it's a great journey!
Chuas

Correction to my own post after reading Dave's. Of course, drawing, painting, sculpting, hands on always always always. I didn't mean that studying is any substitute for the making art part!

And I think photos are fine, but only after you know how to draw from life and sight. Even if you're doing photorealism. And that's practice, practice, practice!

Last edited by chuas2 : 04-16-2012 at 10:14 AM.
  #194   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Denver-metro Colorado

Hails from United States

Tammy, have not had any exprience using pastel with alcohol - - very interesting effect for your cardinal's bg without detracting from the beauty of your bird.

Wow, was off most of yesterday and so much is going on... love perusing the 'art education/hands on learning' discussion, so many areas to ponder & go over in my head. And, thank you all for your comments and welcome.
  #195   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 11:45 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Tammy, beautiful accuracy on your female cardinal. Cool you experimented with washing the background, that was very effective.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting