WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Enthusiast

loose brush handles

Most of my brushes are old, many handles are loose in the ferrules. How can I repair them without breaking anything?
Thanks in advance.
Crafor
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Cleveland Ohio area

Hails from United States
Re: loose brush handles

Do the handles pull out of the ferrells? With the handle out apply some hot melt glue around the handle then quickly reinsert the handle with a twisting motion and then cool in cold water. Always works for me. Hope this helps.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast
Framingham (Boston) MA

Hails from United States

This is why the art gods invented epoxy.

Handles loosen usually because water has soaked into the wood, swelling it. It applies pressure to the ferrule and to the wood, and the latter compresses a bit. When it dries and shinks, it pulls away from its original, pressed-in-place grip.

I use epoxy gel. Gel is important because it won't run. If you use ordinary 5-minute or 2-hour epoxies, they can run down into the bristles, and you don't want that.

If the handles can turn, even a little, you're especially in luck. You (wearing your painting gloves) hold the brush handle up, deposit a little gel epoxy around the gap between handle and ferrule. I use a pointed round toothpick.

You then work it in by stroking down across the gap with your finger, only a little way along the ferrule. The idea is to work epoxy into the gap. At the same time, if you can, you twist the handle gently. This works more epoxy in, filling the gap even better.

When the gap is filled, wipe off the excess with stiff (cheap) paper towel or lintless fabric, being careful not to wipe down into the bristles.

Invert the brush and let the epoxy cure with the bristles up... maybe dropping it into a tall glass, or poking a hole in a small box and inserting the brush handle end.

EDIT: steveoreno's idea is a good one if the handles come out of the ferrules.

Last edited by DaveGhmn : 04-07-2012 at 07:32 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast

The handles do not come out, most don't even turn, just wiggle.
Thanks. I'll get epoxy gel. Any recommendations on brand? Glues and I don't get on well...I'm more of a duct tape kinda gal!
Crafor
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Enthusiast
Framingham (Boston) MA

Hails from United States

Both ITW DevCon and LocTite make carded types in double-syringe packages. They're pretty much the same same.

Should be around $4-6 at any hardware or home improvement shop. They set up in 5 minutes.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast
Framingham (Boston) MA

Hails from United States

So - did it work?

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Northern CA

Hails from United States

Epoxy is good. Another couple of options that I have used and feel are easier to use would be "Goo" made by William K. Walthers (available at most hobby stores) or "Gorilla Glue" which is available at Target, Home Depot and about any store that has sells glue. Either of these glues should be a permanent fix for any brush.
I just push the paint around while the painting pushes me.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Minnesota

Duct tape works fine for most jobs. Sure it's not pretty, but who cares?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 07:07 PM
A Local Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

I'd pull the ferrule off, and epoxy it. I've done that with great success. Loose, wobbly ferrules drive me nuts. I have a couple now, in need of this treatment.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 03:55 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Virginia, US

Hails from Norway

Any ideas for a fix when the hair is loose in the ferrule? I have one brush where the entire wad of hair (probaby highly unprofessional term ) is loose - it moves about 1/8" in the ferrule. Not a very reliable tool... Of course, now I can't remember if it's supposed to be in or out...
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Enthusiast
Framingham (Boston) MA

Hails from United States

That's a bit more challenging. If you can pull the handle out, and you probably can with enough wiggling and pulling, you could glue the wad from the back. It sounds as though its potting glue (the stuff gluing it all together at the opposite of the business end) is still holding.

Again, I'd use gel epoxy that won't run... you don't want whatever glue you use to wick into the bristles. Epoxy seems best because it's impervious to hydrocarbon solvents.

Then epoxy the handle back into the ferrule.

The in or out question is tougher. If you want longer bristles, more paint holding capacity with maybe more flexibility or a bit less control, then out -- with the most hair showing. If you want a stiffer brush with perhaps more control, in.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Nijmegen / holland

Hails from Netherlands

Tape. I like a certain type of hog brushes because of their particular type of flexibility and length of the hair. But because their are a cheaper type, the ferrules loosen all the time. No reason not to do this with some tape. I don't care how it looks or if it seems unprofessional as long as they get the job done. I think the only way to go about painting is to do what is necessary to get the job done (as long as the law permits it). No need to keep up appearances and use pretty brushes or something..
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 09:13 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Virginia, US

Hails from Norway

I feel sort of stupid not thinking of it to begin with... I just had my hubby squeeze the ferrule with pliers where it was already crimped to fasten the hair (what is this anatomical part of the brush called??) and it worked perfectly.