WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#76   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 09:37 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States
Re: Round the Campfire ~ April

Hi everyone,

Well, I hope you had a great Sunday. We are under a tornado watch tonight, but it looks like the worst of the bad weather might slip past us to the north. Even so, we've been keeping an eye on the sky. We'll probably get some much needed rain though.

Hi Catherine. Thanks! I'm happy you like this as is. How exciting that your getting the staining done! It sounds like you're really making progress in that studio! Reading is such fun; I get cranky if I'm not reading a great novel!

Hi Don. It sounds like such a fun day! It sounds like you both did a great job.

Hi Ron. Congratulations to Ashley on doing so well! Great news! Have fun making some art.

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #77   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 01:29 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Hi everybody! Our weekends are usually pretty busy, so just stopping by to say hi!
Jenna, I think the cat looks awesome!
ron, congrats to Ashley!
Don - same for you guys... the shoot sounds like some of our races (the knee deep water part)
Lisa.. I just pictured the horses racing across the pasture.. what a nice thought it was...
Catherine.. instead of "rockin' robin" you have "knockin' robin." Please feel free to quote me on that.
Kate... thanks for breakfast. Do you have decaf too?

Saturdays are usually our long training day, but we have a tough race coming up so we're starting to back off the mileage. So we decided to do a little explore up a canyon in search of the remnants of an old ranch where Al Capone used to hide out. It was a beautiful place, with a small river running through it and beaver dams and lush and green. Lots of elk sign, so I kept my eyes open, and sure enough, we found a pair of sheds - not huge, maybe 4 feet long, but it was still cool to get them. We did find an old stone foundation so figured that was the ranch house. Weather, which was sunny and cool when we left the house, suddenly turned nasty. Temperatures dropped dramatically and it started blowing and snowing - we were in shorts (fortunately, I always bring a jacket in the mountains) so we turned around to head back, having to lug the elk sheds with us, which slowed us down a bit.. were pretty darn cold by the time we got back to the truck, but incredibly, we ran across some nut FISHING... go figure!
got to work in the garden a little this afternoon - I' don't really HAVE a garden yet, but am terracing a slope on the south side of the house. Have been going out foraging for rocks and have a pretty good pile of them to build walls.. Filled up some of the beds with horse manure, so when the weather is warm enough to actually plant outside, they're just about ready. My neighbor has the manure, and I needed more than just a bucket or two, so I traded him his favorite cherry pie for several tractor scoops of poop. I decorated his pie with a little pile of (chocolate) horse poop.
both my entries into the Albuquerque show have sold, which is always a nice thing. tomorrow I work at the gallery and it should be a slow day - so I'll bring my paints to work, and maybe the violin to practice (if nobody is around)... no internet there (hate that) so I'll catch up tomorrow night....
happy day!
my blog
  #78   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast
West Michigan

Hails from United States

The Coffee this am is Indonesian Sumatra roasted dark.

Lisa, love the that colt. The decompression I am doing is not a home gizmo but it is a therapy I do at the chiro. It has been little rough. They have it turned up pretty high as they said my x-rays show I am a 9 on a 10 scale. It is supposed to pull the vertebrae and create a vacuum to suck the disk back in. They have me on tons of vitamins and supplements to heal the disc tissue. In the mean time I have the back pain and the soreness and spasms from the therapy. No pain meds are allowed so I don't overdue any activity. It all makes sense and most people are greatly helped. In the mean time I am not doing much.

Jenna, beautiful work on your cat scratch art. The reference is a beautiful photo. You and Lisa can tease me all you want. I will take the attention any way I can get it. Just remember cats eat cute little innocent birds.

Donald, So who had more fun at the archery event? Wet boots and all your still a good dad. I am going with my oldest daughter to the Frederick Meijer Garden and Sculpture Park today. They have a live butterfly room, a horse sculpture exhibit and a sculpture of a horse DaVinci had planned to create but never did.

Catherine, Rachel says they are still have the bird problem like yours at her office. They have tried lots of the same things.

Ron, So good to hear about Ashley's accomplishment.

Kate, Keep the good food coming. Yesterday we made burgers stuffed with blue cheese and bacon and my friend brought some of his home made salsa.

Deb, good to hear about your show.

Hi to the rest. Thinking of Don and hope he is doing well.
  #79   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States

Good morning gang!

Jim, thanks for the coffee! I brought the decaf for Deb too. Your dinner sounded yummy!! Never had burgers stuffed with blue cheese before, that's interesting. Hope your decompression therapy works for you. It probably would have done my sis a lot of good too, but I seriously think it's too late now for her. She's had 4 back surgeries, and now is a legal drug addict. Heartbreaking.

Breakfast this morning is going to be watermelon, poached eggs, yogurt and granola. Yum!!

Donald, when I was a kid growing up I remember all the cowboys around me just kept their boots on their feet until they dried. That would form them to their feet, and they wouldn't shrink so bad. Glad you and your daughter had a good time.

Jenna, hope the weather doesn't get too bad for you. Tornadoes aren't something we have to deal with here in AZ but we do have massive thunderstorms.

Hey to the rest of the campfire, enjoy breakfast and Jim's coffee, and have a great Monday!

Kate
  #80   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hello everybody!

Hi Deb. Thanks for the nice comments! Wow, what a beautiful area it sounds like where you ran Saturday. I don't suppose you got any pictures...? What a great day, and you even found elk sheds. What will you do with them? My dad found a pair of white tail deer antlers a few weeks ago. Very nice, big ones. He's going to mount them somehow.

Hi Jim. Thanks very much! Yes...the food chain can be cruel, can't it? But remember, cute little birds eat beautiful butterflies sometimes...Where does it end? I hope you get some help with the new therapy. It sounds like you're feeling pretty miserable with it all right now. Hang in there. Thanks for the coffee.

Hi Kate. Mmm, thanks for breakfast! Well, we cancelled some plans yesterday for the danger of the storm, but it completely fizzled. We didn't even get any thunder...It's good that we made it safely through, but I always do enjoy a thunderstorm. Got some rain though, and a bit of snow today, which is a surprise! It won't last, of course...it's far too warm for it to stick.

Hello to everyone else. Hope you're having a good Monday! Talk to you later!

#81   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Enthusiast
West Michigan

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaboo88
Yes...the food chain can be cruel, can't it? But remember, cute little birds eat beautiful butterflies sometimes...Where does it end?

Jenna, Funny you should mention butterflies. At our trip to the garden and sculpture park my daughter and I experienced the butterfly room. Hundreds of butterflies and a couple dozen species. We saw these beautiful orange ones and then we saw 3 of them eating, killing or at least beating up another butterfly. Here is the evidence.

So what do a couple of creative types do a sculpture park? Stuff like this.

We had a good time!
  #82   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States

Awh Jim, you messed up!!! You left your shoes on!!!! HA!!

thanks for sharing the photos, looks like it was a lot of fun.

Kate
  #83   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Jim, that first photo was so dramatic. That poor butterfly!

Those other photos, on the other hand...Fantastic! I laughed out loud! You and your daughter posed very well. Very funny and clever. I love them! Thanks for sharing. I've never been to a sculpture garden, but it would be fun to go to one sometime. You're a great dad to go there with your daughter!

#84   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Enthusiast
West Michigan

Hails from United States

Kate, remember my back. I would not have been able to tie my shoes back up. It took me a couple minutes to get in that position and twice as long to get up. But it was too fun top pass up.

Jenna, I did not have time to post these earlier but I thought you might like them.

This is the horse Da Vinci's never finished (I think it was destroyed before it was cast) but was recently recreated by Nina Akamu.

This is the work of Deborah Butterfield. She does all horses out of found materials. This is actually a cast bronze from her original drift wood. She actually paints the bronze to look like driftwood. You should google her work. We saw an exhibit of her work indoors as well.

#85   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Jim
So let me get this straight. ... You were the one with shoes on?
What a hoot- looks like fun .
Killer butterflies- who knew?

My thrill for the day was getting an email through my website from Nancy Guzik- for those who might not know she is Richard Schmid's wife. When I pulled up the message and saw the name I thought "wow, that's strange. She has the same name as the "real" Nancy guzik". Bur then I realized it WAS the real Nancy guzik. It had to do with a benefit show for a fellow artist that I had been a part of but it sure was cool to get a personal message. She's a very gracious person.

So here's a question...
What is a better way to market oneself?
Enter contests and juried exhibits? Or knock on gallery doors? Santa fe is the second largest art market in the country. I've been told I should seek representation there. But galleries are closing everywhere even here- and I hate rejection. Selling online is becoming the norm except fir perhaps very high end artwork.
Anyway just thinking out loud. What are your thoughts?
my blog
  #86   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 07:08 AM
Immortalized
Heart of Missouri's Outback!

Hails from United States

Great phtos Jim! Which one had more fun? Tough question, probably me, because Ojuanna got in trouble for not putting on her rain boots like her mother told her to. Was that horse really so BIG your daughter could stand under it? That is one BIG bronze.

Kate I was thinking the same thing about the shoes. Jim, that's why they make slip on shoes...

Well time to go drill holes in concrete. I'm helping to replace bad sections of the highway for the next two weeks. I think the cement truck driver yesterday was texting or something. He kept not seeing the hand signals and putting WAY too much concrete in the holes. I bet he wasted close to half a yard between all 4 holes we filled. I would have loved to have that in my drive way...

Donald
  #87   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 AM
WC! Guide
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

Jim- great bunch of photos. Great day you guys had. You have quite a resemblence to the sculpture

Deb- good question. I have no idea. I have had quite a bit of interest in some of my more abstract type western art from places back east. They found me through my blog. But, Im always leary of web stuff, afraid of scams and such. I do have one thing (over the web) in the works at the moment, I will let you know after everything has been confirmed how it went. Perhaps a little of everything.... diversify.... the ole "dont put all your eggs in one basket" type thing.

Come join us in the Southwest/Western forum
My art blog
  #88   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast
West Michigan

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrunner
So here's a question...
What is a better way to market oneself?
Enter contests and juried exhibits? Or knock on gallery doors? Santa fe is the second largest art market in the country. I've been told I should seek representation there. But galleries are closing everywhere even here- and I hate rejection.

This is just my personal opinion
I am no expert at marketing myself even though I have years experience helping others market things like books, non profit capital campaigns and manufactured goods. Mostly by doing the art and print design but have worked with some real experts. The problem with marketing my fine art is that it is so personal. It is like being your own Dr. or lawyer. Even a Dr. needs a Dr.

On the other hand no one else will have your best interest in mind like you. So I guess we are stuck with ourselves to market ourselves to some degree.

Almost everything I have read about market art is by an artist that was not really a top level artist. (Sorry if I missed the book DaVinci wrote about marketing your art.) You will not find a marketing book by Richard Schmid or Howard Terpning or will you? Actually their books are all about marketing in the sense that if you learn to paint at their level you will be successful. I think that is why they do not write those kinds of books. They worked for years at being the best they could be and in the process also became successful at selling their work. But it was because the work was so sellable.

I know there are artist that make good money and are not really top level painters because they have become very skilled at marketing. Usually by teaching, writing articles and books on selling art. Nothing against this group but I am not interested in that. They have to spend a lot of time and energy selling the stuff and less time painting what they want. They have to paint what the public wants.

So yes you have to approach galleries and enter competitions but I have tried to concentrate on getting better as an artist. The "BEST MARKETING TOOL IS A GREAT PRODUCT." I do the marketing as I have time but the painting comes first.

If I spend 90% of my time trying to get as good as Terpning and I fail I will probably be a much better painter than if I spend 90% of my time trying to "market" myself. Most artist try "making a living" at it before they are good enough to sell their work at a high enough level to make a living and get very frustrated and mad at the "stupid public" for not recognizing their genus.

Deb, I don't think you are one of those artists. You have the skills so go to those galleries. You don't have to sell or be rejected. Go in the off season when they are not waiting on 5 people. Have 1 printed sample to leave them. As you look at the gallery and engage in conversation with the sales person about how nice the work in the gallery is, give them the sample (a large post card is good. It will fit in your purse) and say you are in town and just want people to know who you are and what you do.

Let them make the next move. Have an original in the car and a good portfolio. They may have time to see it or set up a time later in the day or tomorrow. Or they may say we review artist during the month of June. You do not have to push them at all. Some may take the card and that is it. Some may do an interview and tell you to go get the portfolio.

Galleries are closing all the time but the ones that will stay open are looking for something new. They are open to new things and people because what they have been doing may not be working.

I may have opened a can or worms but that is my opinion.

Last edited by jim56 : 04-17-2012 at 09:56 AM.
  #89   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Jim,
Thanks for that thoughtful reply. You are right, of course. A good product is what sells. And that's where our focus MUST be. but I was afraid you'd say that... the thought of dropping by galleries gives me hives. (the same reason I did not make a good salesperson EVER in my working career) I guess though, that your suggested approach is less threatening than some... And I probably should spend a day and walk through the galleries to see who might be a good "fit".. ie, the galleries who might love Kort Duce's whimsical fantastic creations would probably not be interested in western art or still life....
So.... better finish up some pieces to have on hand. I don't want this to come off wrong, or sound boastful in any way, but I have had a hard time keeping anything around long enough to build up an inventory. probably because so many of them are small and very affordable... I'm working on some bigger things now.

And, this week I can go pick up my BEEHIVE!!!! yay!!! It is my newest project (one which my husband has said he will have no part of). I don't get the bees yet, just the hive to get it painted and "move-in ready" for my little flock of buzzies.....

Thanks again, Jim...
my blog
  #90   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hello everyone,

Hi Jim. Wow, that is one massive horse! Amazing! I can't imagine sculpting on such a huge scale. What a feat! The driftwood horse is amazing, too! I've seen her work before. Not in person, but in photos. It's truly amazing what she does. How interesting that she makes the bronze casts and paints them to look like driftwood. I suppose she has to if she wants the sculptures to last. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Hi Deb. I'm no expert on where to start as far as marketing artwork...I've been trying to figure that out myself. I hope the doors open for you and the way is clear, because you've earned it with your work.

Have fun with the bees!

Hi Donald. Hope the work on the highway goes well.

Hi Ron. What's on your easel these days? I miss your work!

Hi to everyone else! Hope you're having a good day!