WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 05:56 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Re: Stitch in Time - April 2012

Eva, the doll is divine. You do such a wonderful job on the clothing. It's no wonder people are throwing their dolls and money your way to have you work your magic. Great to get some really nice display items. Your hubby sounds like my DH. They get itchy feet and want to go.

Margo, you are so inspiring attending to all your clothing and embellishing them. We'd really like to see what you are up to. Happy sewing.

Well, DH and I think we figured out what my issue is. See, who needs doctors? With all my drastic dietary changes over the last 6 or 7 months, we suspect that I wiped out my gut flora. So, since I don't do yogurt and it's going to take time to make or find some non-dairy fermented food that I like (I'm really a very picky eater.) I'm taking some probiotic supplements. Unfortunately, I am exhibiting all the symptoms of the problem which means I'll be a couple of months getting back into balance. *sigh* In the mean time we soldier on. It's hard to focus when the belly is not happy. What really annoys me is that with all this and not eating a lot of anything, I'm not reducing my weight. Ok, enough of that. I'm off to work on sewing and art. (Or as much as I can given the circumstance.)
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast
Northeast Tennessee

Hails from United States

Busy day with church, out to eat at CB and then different things here at home. No, did not push myself to finish the baby blanket, but told her it was being worked on. She had quite a few gifts on the table when Sunday School was just starting today. The baby is due May instead of June. Guess I better get going. Another month or more I think. I did work on it yesterday but still have a lot of it to finish.

Margo, sounds like you have your hands full with sewing projects!! Glad you are finding some things too. I am still looking for our 45 yr old wedding album, our original marriage certificate and various other things.

Eva, the doll outfit is perfect. Are you going to make more outfits for her? I can see her in a tea-stained material with a tiny floral print and a high collar with lace around it too.

Debby, I hope your health issue is resolved soon. I have fought intestinal stuff a lot in my adult life, but I am better than I used to be.

Have a great evening, all.............

I am made in God's image so I create.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 12:54 AM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Hello all!

Eva, the doll is a treasure and the hair has such a 20's look.

Debby, yes, I can believe that the gut flora might be the issue. Have heard of this before. What a challenge.

Margo, this is a major spring clothing change out you are doing!

And Bonnie that blanket progress ?

A short hello. Am in the mountains skiing with my sister. Ah we are getting old! I am beat,and we hardly did anything.

Jen
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 04:09 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Bonnie, good luck finding your photos and documents. It's always a challenge after a move to remember where everything got tucked away. The only solution is to, of course, unpack absolutely everything. Hope the baby blanket is coming along.

Hi Jen. Glad you stopped by.

Don't you just love the weather guessers? There is 100% chance of rain today. Haven't seen a single drop. Tho' it is cloudy and cool.

Not a lot going on here. I seem to be continuing my personal energy crisis. Tho' the stomach seems a little better today.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Debby, hope you get your tummy pains cleared up and like the rest it probably is the flora in the gut. It does have to be balanced

Jen, good to hear from you and that you are getting a little more skiing in.

Bonnie, how you doing on the blanket?

I am just working on the second dress for that big doll. It has pleats on the bottom and I just ripped the whole thing out because they didn't look right. It would be easier to just gather it but won't look as nice. I will get them right before the day is out. Then I will be button holes and buttons all the way down the back. Those are easy with the button hole making on the machine but I sure hate sewing on buttons.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Debby, sorry about the tummy, hopefully the probiotics will get you straightened out soon. Remember how much fiber is in the granola bars too! I always seem to forget that when I make something with oats in it.

The rehabbing clothes saga continues, I spent who knows how long putting a patch in the knee of my absolute favorite blue jeans. Lots of fussy sewing, with fancy stitches and using up the tail ends of spools of rayon thread. I have several other pairs of pants that need a mend or two. Then shortening those stupid curtains. Eva is probably right, I'll probably want to sew a new skirt or three after all of this boring sewing. I did rip the inseams out of some of those cargo pants so I can turn them into art bags, they are laying atop the pile too. Have to put new buttons on some of those white shirts, ick they buttons are too ugly, guess they expect men to wear ties to cover them up. When there is a tidy spot in the house to use my camera, I'll take photos of anything worthy. Right now I'm just too into my assembly line of sewing.

Eva that doll is really cute now that you've styled her hair and dressed her.

Jen have fun skiing with your sister, it makes me tired just thinking about it, you must be beat.

Bonnie good luck with the baby blanket. Don't feel bad that it isn't done, some of us refuse to gift a baby till it's born, I for one.

Back to my Swiss task master!
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Pictures are not very good but thought you might like to see the bonnet for the first outfit and the the whole outfit I finished up tonight. The lighting is so back this time of day but I had to have some quick pictures before the lady came to get the doll. The second dress is long waisted with cotton lace and pleats on the bottom.

Right now I am tired so I hope I make sense. All I know is that I am done. Buttons down the back of this dress and I hate sewing buttons. But the dress called for them.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Eva, you have achieved perfection on this doll, well worth the effort. Pat yourself on the back and put your feet up.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 01:52 AM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

I thank all of you for the nice compliments. I appreciate it. I have some great customers who always love what I do for them. I know there are mistakes in everything that I do but I guess I am the only one who sees them.

Tomorrow I start on some clothes for a 22 inch Betsy Wetsy doll from the 60's. I have the pattern but not the doll so I hope I can get it right the first time.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 07:02 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Eva, the doll outfits are fantastic. I certainly hope the woman who owns the doll was pleased. As Margo said, put your feet up for a bit.

Wow, Margo, you sound like you are in a sewing frenzy getting all that done. Sounds like the jeans were embellished rather than just mended.

I'm afraid the tummy and probiotic solution are going to take more than a few days. But, early indications are a slight improvement overall. Thank you all for your concern.

The sun came out this morning. It's supposed to rain again tonight and tomorrow. DH is off of work today and I suggested we go for a drive. (He's bored. We don't need to go shopping. We can't start the bathroom renovation. And, there is still too much snow and ice on the mountain to go get next winter's fire wood.) He readily agreed when I said I wanted to get out of the house. We drove down to the river and along the river road south. The river isn't clear right now (It is called the Clearwater river. ) but that's because of the spring run-off. It's full of silt. Anyway, it was a lovely drive. We stopped a few times along the way to get out and admire the scenery. Missed lunch, but got some much needed sunshine and natural energy feeling. We are even talking about going to the movies tonight. We've not been to see a movie for a couple of years. Going to see "Mirror, Mirror". (If DH wakes up from his nap in time. )
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Debby, glad you had a nice drive. Going to see a movie will be great for both of you. We haven't been to one in years.

Today was clean kitchen, do laundry and then clean up all the dolls I had stacked up. I have a lot of dolls that now need clothes. I can't start the next customer outfit until I get some measurements from her. The newer patterns say what size everything is but not the old pattern I got. So I guess I had better work on my own dolls and see if I can't get some stuff listed for sale. I think my energy for today though has got up and went. I did get in the sewing room long enough to get my lace all sorted in the new totes that I washed up this morning.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 03:20 AM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Debby sometimes a nice little drive is just the ticket. I'll take an interesting drive over lunch any day.

Eva sounds like you got in a good day even without the sewing room.

Well yes I guess the jeans ended up being embellished, I think they really needed all those stitches to stabilize them, plus once I get started, too much is usually just the beginning!

No sewing today, we needed to go to Costco, so loaded the car with coolers and ice packs and off we went to Albuquerque. No exotic destinations today, just shopping then an interesting drive back, we drove along a portion of Route 66, it follows the same path as the freeway but is much more interesting, lots of cool old adobes of all different styles. Then we stopped in Bernalillo for...what do you call a meal that is breakfast, lunch and dinner? That's what we had! It was quite delicious, a very cool place called the Range Cafe, for decoration they had these amazing looking old wood burning ranges, one was the most ornate wood stove I've ever seen, truly a work of art. A lot of restaurants around here use those old stoves for heat in the winter which is kind of fun. My friend Kata has two in her gallery, which is an old house and the huge kitchen has 2 wood burning stoves, one of which heats the gallery.

I'm utterly beat, not sure why, up and down the mountain maybe, also my fevered pitch sewing the last 3 days may have something to do with it. I did manage to fill several pages in my large journal with group sketches in the restuarant with my trusty PPBP. Okay I'm having to type and retype cause my brain quit working 20 minutes ago. Nighty night all.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Yesterday when I cleaned up 10 dolls, John said "no more dolls" and then this morning he said lets go to Goodwill. Funny how men can change. We ended up with 3 dolls and a big bag of pink and white yarn that will make a wonderful baby blanket. One of the dolls talks and it talked to us all the way home from it's bag in the back seat. Every time we hit a bump or turned it would start talking again. It must have had something sitting on top of it.

Margo, how far is Albuquerque from you that you have to pack a cooler? Sounds like you had a nice trip and a good lunch.

Debby, you feeling better today?

Bonnie, how is your blanket coming along?

Well it is sewing the customer 4th of July outfit today. She sent me the measurements I needed last night so can't put it off any longer. I pulled the fabric yesterday so now it will be cutting out time.

Later............
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

It's 80 miles to the Duke City, also known as Albuquerque. So if you are planning any stops on the way back anything frozen will thaw. You know how hot cars get in the Southwest even in spring. We always stop somewhere on the way back, get a bite to eat, sketch, someplace.

Today I get to tidy where I've been sewing, the kitchen table area, and clear the actual sewing table in the studio to continue on with the voyage of sewing, maybe bind a book or two, catch up on my Fake Journal. I slept so hard last night, I can't seem to wake up enough to do anything other than type. Coffee should remedy that though.

Have fun with the new dolls Eva, I'm off to rearrange the mess to another area!
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 05:53 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Thanks Eva, we did have a fun time at the movie. It's nice because it was a very light movie for content and the local theater is quite reasonable with their ticket price. Funny how John has mentioned "no more dolls" then encourages you to get more dolls. He must either like what you are doing or wants to make you happy, or both. Sounds like a sweetheart.

Margo, sounds like an interesting trip even if it was "just" a shopping trip. I understand the ice chest saga from when I lived in Vegas. Even just going to Henderson (easier to get to than the one in Vegas proper) to shop at Whole Foods, we'd have to bring the ice chest.

I am feeling some better today. Stopped by the local health food store to pick up some more probiotics and the shop owner suggested a specific supplement that feeds the probiotics so they establish well and multiply. Sounded like a bit faster way to do this, so I got some, we'll see how that goes. Got some new books in the mail, so this is short, need to read. One on book making and one on botanical illustration.