WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 06:58 PM

Color Mixing with Ink?

Hi, everyone. I cannot seem to find the color of ink that I want for one of my new projects. So I'm wondering, can ink be mixed like paint? I am looking for
a sky blue or baby blue. If I add white ink to indigo, will that lighten it? To darken ink, I just stipple more in one area with the blue, or use black stippling under the blue. Now I need to lighten it.

Thanks so much for your help.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 09:55 PM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Color Mixing with Ink?

try F W process cyan........ [assuming ye meaning ink from bottles]...
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieErica
Hi, everyone. I cannot seem to find the color of ink that I want for one of my new projects. So I'm wondering, can ink be mixed like paint? I am looking for
a sky blue or baby blue. If I add white ink to indigo, will that lighten it? To darken ink, I just stipple more in one area with the blue, or use black stippling under the blue. Now I need to lighten it.

Thanks so much for your help.
I've tried mixing with white ink to lighten other inks and it doesn't work out well for me. While most inks are translucent the white seems more opaque and the mixed ink color appears to be more of a swirled mess.

Sheila
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 01:33 AM
Veteran Member

It depends on what kind of pen you are using and therefore what inks you can accomodate. But for Acrylic inks I'd either go with the aorementioned FW Ink Process Cyan or Liquitex Acrylic Ink Phthalocyanine Blue (GS). Both are transparent and can be thinned with water to make them lighter. If you mix with white, you've basically made it opaque, so you have to decide if that is the effect you want. Some acrylic inks are translucent or opaque, so read the label carefully (both mentioned lines list that on the label).

Inks can be mixed like paint - acrylics are usually reasonably lightfast, dye based color inks tend not to be. Always test the mix before you commit it to the final piece if you aren't familiar with the results.

Last edited by Hoplite : 04-15-2012 at 01:36 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 07:24 AM

Thanks for all of your replies. I am using a dip pen, and my ink is F&W. So thanks a lot. I have taken notes from this post and I'll be off to the art supply store when it opens.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 06:06 PM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

if you look at my thread of The Overflowing Cup - http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=989372 - you will have some idea of how the cyan looks........
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 12:48 AM

Okay, thank you, Objectivistartist. I'm going there now.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 12:50 AM

Yes, that is exactly the color I'm looking for. Love your work, by the way.
Thanks again.