WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Winnipeg, Canada

Hails from Canada
gel pen

I need to paint long thin lines on my painting I was wondering if a gel pen would work ?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Enthusiast
Framingham (Boston) MA

Hails from United States
Re: gel pen

Without knowing the formulation of the gel, there's no way to tell except by experimentation.

A paint marker might take (that is, adhere to the surface enough to stay put), once the surface of the painting has cured, but paint markers are not well-known for their elegant or thin lines, or for their elegant color.

With practice, a script liner or rigger brush can make deliciously fine lines using thinned oil paint. I think I've seen these down to 10/0, or about 3 hairs. A size 1 rigger / liner makes quite a thin line.

If you need straight lines, a bridge or mahl stick or (a la Richard Schmid) cheap hospital cane can be useful. Freehand curvilinear lines require practice.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Long Island NY

Hails from United States

I've read on this forum that credit card edges or mono-filament fishing line are good for thin lines but I have no experience with either. I would shy away from ink as it may bleed or run if you varnish over it. You should find an answer in this search link.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/sear...earchid=726942

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 05:12 AM
Lord of the Arts
East Coast USA

Hails from United States

I have also used a pizza cutter wheel.

Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Long Island NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail
I have also used a pizza cutter wheel.

That's a great idea. I have to remember that one.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Lord of the Arts
S.E. Missouri

Hails from United States

Another option: Two companies make oil paint pens, look for solvent based oil paint pens. They come in a wide range of tip sizes, from rather large down to extra fine and in many colors. I found them an easy and excellent answer to doing very fine scroll work in metallic. I could never have done a consistant repeat pattern around the entire circle wih a brush. Also useful to sign paintings, especially if ones name is not short! If you don't have an art supply store nearby, Dick Blick carries them.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Winnipeg, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aires
Another option: Two companies make oil paint pens, look for solvent based oil paint pens. They come in a wide range of tip sizes, from rather large down to extra fine and in many colors. I found them an easy and excellent answer to doing very fine scroll work in metallic. I could never have done a consistant repeat pattern around the entire circle wih a brush. Also useful to sign paintings, especially if ones name is not short! If you don't have an art supply store nearby, Dick Blick carries them.

Aires : thats what i want i will chick at my art supply store thanks
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 07:04 PM
New Jersey

Hails from United States

On my first couple of paintings
I used the paint pens to sign
Don't like the way they look for signature