WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Chicago

Hails from United States
Studio Lighting Temperature

Which is better - "daylight" lamps which do a better job of showing "true color", or "soft white" which is how the painting is most likely to be seen in someone's home?

Also, should I match the light temperature used to light my subject with the light temperature used on my easel?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
S.E. Missouri

Hails from United States
Re: Studio Lighting Temperature

Personally, I want to duplicate as nearly as possible natural light, especially for color mixing. I am most satisfied when I can come up with a situation where my palette of color mixes appears the same inside or out. It takes some doing for me since I don't have outside windows in my basement studio but it is possible to come up with a near replication of natural light with color corrected bulbs (both regular and flourescent) and even a mixture of light sources. I feel I've reached an acceptable situation when I can take my panting outside and see little to no difference.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2012, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member
Sacramento, CA

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Studio Lighting Temperature

I usually look for about 5300k. below 5000 gets a bit yellow over 5500k starts to go more blue.

In the end though, what your painting looks like in peoples homes depends on their own lighting which rarely takes the artwork into account. Though for us, we want to be able to see our colors and mix them accurately a lot of the people viewing the pieces aren't that picky.