WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 03:16 AM
Shenandoah Valley Virginia

Hails from United States
First Time Post in Forum...Shih Tzu dog

hi everyone...this is the first time that I have ever posted in this forum. I am usually in the pastel, acrylic or landscape forum.
I am thinking about doing a series of these dog illustrations to sell. I did this piece with art markers, so I thought that I should post it in the Illustration forum instead of the Pen & Ink forum.
I would appreciate any thoughts that you have about the piece, critique etc. Also, I would like to find out if I have a good concept here or am I just working on a project that I am wasteing my time on. Last year I wasted alot of time on a project, a series of pieces that didnt sell and people had no interest in.
Thanks from a first time poster.
I didnt see a monthly challenge in this forum, I love monthly challenges.
Thanks for the input.
ANN

this is size 9 x 12 on sketch paper done in all markers
there are bright spots near the eyes which is the reflection of the camera flash

Member PSV Pastel Society of Virginia.....Dogs, Horses, Nature & Art, thats what I love!
MY ART WEBSITE...... http://ann-becker.fineartamerica.com
MY HANDCRAFTED WEBSITE...... http://www.twocorgisstudio.etsy.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 08:19 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States
Re: First Time Post in Forum...Shih Tzu dog

I went to your website and thoroughly enjoyed your 'style'.

I find your "mat" to be distracting from the dog, the pieces on your website, in particular "Bright Eyes" and "Fiona" are very attractive as they are. If I was to suggest anything at all as a drawn border, it would be a Celtic style interlace in a soft effect. Your work is certainly more than good enough to sell with a 'gimmick'.

Wish you luck , greg
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

I really love the dog, excellent job on that! I would definitely second birdhs in saying that the border is just a little too distracting from the dog, as the main subject. Maybe using a softer color, like a shade of brown or blue, and simple swirls or a celtic knot. Perhaps sort of a "frame" with a wood effect would be neat too. :-) Anyway, great work, and I think art of this sort is definitely sellable!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Shenandoah Valley Virginia

Hails from United States

joanna....thanks for your response. I think you are right, maybe I should use another color pen, blue possibly like you have suggested.
I was trying to do a border piece and not do the typical dog in the yard or dog on the bed or sofa. I am trying to appeal to a larger crowd by not putting the dog in a situation where someone cant relate to the dog. ie, dog on the beach, dog in the park, dog hiking with owner, dog biking with owner etc
My thoughts on the border were in lines with Zentagle drawings and also of those art boards from the early 1970s where artists would color them in with color pen, I used to do that as a pre-teenager. I think Michaels sells these art posters for coloring. They were not coloring books for kids, but coloring posters for adults. In the 70s they were groovy to do hehehehe
I know that I made the lines way too thick, the cheap paper made the ink lines bleed. I will definately use your idea and make the lines navy or purple, that way it wont interfere with the dogs coloring.
ANN

Quote:
Originally Posted by theemeraldskull
I really love the dog, excellent job on that! I would definitely second birdhs in saying that the border is just a little too distracting from the dog, as the main subject. Maybe using a softer color, like a shade of brown or blue, and simple swirls or a celtic knot. Perhaps sort of a "frame" with a wood effect would be neat too. :-) Anyway, great work, and I think art of this sort is definitely sellable!

Member PSV Pastel Society of Virginia.....Dogs, Horses, Nature & Art, thats what I love!
MY ART WEBSITE...... http://ann-becker.fineartamerica.com
MY HANDCRAFTED WEBSITE...... http://www.twocorgisstudio.etsy.com