WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Black River Falls, Wisconsin

Hails from United States
Re: Purple Leaves - WIP

Ali - I think this piece is wonderful! The colors you chose are very nice and I love the painterly feel. If you decide to walk away from this piece and declare it finished then you should feel proud!

"Soli Deo Gloria"
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

In this painting Purple Leaves by Jazz, my observations are this. I see four main points of interest, four different colored leaves, white, lighter hue of blue, violet and red violet, color scheme appearing to be analogous with the key color being violet. It appears to be that the viewer is looking down at the leaves and they are in very close proximity to the leaves as they are setting upon each other and have no depth to be distinguished. It looks to be that the time is daytime but is not clear, but the light source seems to be coming from above. A secondary element to this piece, is the veins in the leaves and the background.

As I view this piece the movement of the piece keeps leading my eye in a clockwise motion always leading back to bottom third of the piece where the violet and red violet meet. It is the vein in the dominant leaf that leads my eye back to the light blue leaf and the intense white hue that stops me from going off the edge. The highlight and reflection draws my eye back to the red violet leaf and it is the strength of color that keeps my vision there for a moment. The balance between the white and the red violet balances the piece out forcing the eye to the back and forth motion of our eyes. The blue of the bottom left leaf are very intense and bright highly saturated, and its resistance with each other also contributes to the back and forth motion of our eyes as we view the painting

Purple Leaves, gives me a sense of darkness that comes with life and still gives me hope that there is a light and the end of the tunnel. Reminds me of a road-map that it has many ways to go but still always leads to nowhere….or in circles. I feel a conflict of warm and cool color that is progressive movement towards the radial balance.

Using the golden thirds rule, I find that this piece has a fair balance in composition. At first glance I really did not know exactly what the COI was and still have reservations about what it is; there are no distinctive factors of pointing directly to a COI. I thought the white leaf at first was a distraction but after looking more into this piece I found that it really balances the piece out. The lack of depth between the elements seem to flatten the piece, I would have liked to seen more shadows and maybe some overlapping of the leaves to achieve this depth. The analogous color scheme is a very nice touch and I like that it is not true to nature. When I first looked at this piece I was disturbed with it, I thought the continuity was struggling. It was only after I really looked at the piece I found the fundamentals of the composition and dominant path of movement. I would have liked to seen more of the veins to play a bigger role of the piece…like the white and the blue leaf is showing. One part of the piece that bothers me is in the lower right hand corner, I did not know if that was a signature or a highlight. The values of the colors are in pretty good balance, maybe could have been a bit more difference between the mid-range values but are good the way they are. In all I like the piece and find it to be very pleasing and would call it a success.

Portraity

Last edited by George924 : 04-12-2012 at 03:18 PM.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast
Germany

WOW, George, that is really a great contemplation of this piece. I know this is for Ali, but I have to say that I find it very interesting!
Ali, is this piece finished or are you still working on it?
--------------------
Angela
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bib
WOW, George, that is really a great contemplation of this piece. I know this is for Ali, but I have to say that I find it very interesting!
Ali, is this piece finished or are you still working on it?
--------------------
Angela

Ali and I had a little discussion about critiquing and what we should do to be helpful while critiquing. When we ask for C&C's most of the time we find ourselves looking more for cheers and praise rather than the opinions of our peers.

On my next post I'll be going into this with more detail...call it a learning experience.

Portraity
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Enthusiast
Germany

Yes, that's quite an interesting theme! Thanks for the explanation!
------------
Angela
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Hails from United Kingdom

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE! I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and comment .

I am learning and in that process I appreciate honest and considered feedback -I can except criticism especially when it is constructive as I am very keen to improve. Not for the purpose of monetary gain but my own personal journey.
Thank you so much Rob for taking the time to comment I appreciate your thoughts and do understand that it is difficult to critique this piece as it doesn't seem to follow a given path or depict any developing goal.....well...not that is obvious . The reason why I have struggled with this is not only because it started so long ago but because I was attempting to follow a project set up on this forum yrs ago and the concept has indeed been an extreme challenge for me. My reference is a black and white image and I am attempting to transfer what I see in black and white to colour. It may have been easier if I had stuck with the true colours of nature. I think that is why I am unwilling to let go of this just yet, I'm like a dog with a bone, lol

Moolane - thank you for your positive feedback -I don't feel that it is finished and I am at the moment in a good place to continue with it so for now I will .

Ali
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

I second Angela in this -WOW George -that is indeed a detailed analysis Thank you so very very much for taking the time to give my piece your full focus, I do so appreciate ALL that you have to say . I was hoping for a more in depth critique of my work -positive and negative but you have gone further than I could imagine -thank you for being so very kind.
Yes, when I ask for c & c I am asking for a critical eye to be cast over what I am working on -be it positive or negative opinion. I will always take onboard everything that is said as long as I feel it is constructive criticism. I know from my own messages to others that the temptation is huge to only point out the positives and I want only to be encouraging to my fellow CPers. Plus sometimes it is difficult to discern whether someone is asking for a 'true' critique of their work -do they want to know ALL that we see or just the positive elements -the favourable?
In that vein I asked George to give me a FULL critique of my piece as it is very important too me. The reason is that due to my mental health problems some years ago I recognised that I had lost ALL my ability to judge my own work and I mean completely. As such I am unable to see if I am doing a good job or bad, I couldn't place myself in a line with other CPers and judge where I stood -am I as good as this artist? do I have more to learn than that artist? I truly cannot say Hence my need for an experienced eye to give me an honest critical assessment.

I really respect George and have witnessed his previous critiques of others work where he attempts to give a true assessment without meaning to offend -just to help . So I knew he would be able to help me. Although I have to say George that as detailed and comprehensive as you have been I don't detect much negative critical judgement -is that because there is none?
I don't believe that to be the case but I do appreciate what you have said and I think I need to read over it some more whilst studying my work so I can follow every bit of gold you have imparted .

Thank you , thank you and thank you, I am going to go away and study some more of what you have written and absorb it.

For Angela -thank you for following me on my journey and supporting me, I really appreciate your thoughts. to answer your question -No, I don't feel that I have finished with this piece but I am trying not to give myself a hard time. As Rob so kindly mentioned I do have to try and let go of my perfectionist tendencies and in that vein I have taken on one of the references in the monthly challenge thread and in a small piece I am trying to divert my attention away from my leaves for at least part of my time.

Hugs,

Ali

Sorry if I have waffled on for too long here -I just wanted to make sure everyone and especially George realise how much I appreciate the support and how much I need to be guided .

Last edited by Jazz : 04-12-2012 at 08:00 PM.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

Ali, I am so glad I could be of help...and I have to say that in my opinion your piece is structurally sound, it's not an overwhelmingly great but it is a great success. While studying Purple Leaves I forced myself to look beyond the first emotions and wanted to look for what was wrong with piece and figure out what I may have done differently. In doing this study it has helped me look further into my work and learn from your achievements and also your weakness's. Sometimes a piece is just good and not much is wrong with it, sometimes a piece is perfectly great and there is plenty wrong with it. It is up to us to execute the perfect balance to make the piece perfectly great.

Portraity
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

OK -I have been working on this on and off all day and so feel ready to share my progress with everyone - I have taken care of some problem areas but I am not finished. here is the image then I will explain more -

Instead of working one leaf right up to almost complete I have felt compelled to progress the other leaves along side the original I was working on. I have worked on every leaf -some more than others -3 of the leaves have received more layers.
I think I am finally getting to grips with this and feel that I can at least finish it PHEW!!!

All critiques whatever form they may take more than welcome.

OOPS! it is showing with too much light -I wish it looked as good as the image that George magicked into being sharp and full of colour -it is difficult to see some of my changes with it like this.......

Thank you for looking -although now I'm not sure its even worth bothering

Ali

Last edited by Jazz : 04-13-2012 at 06:03 PM.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Enthusiast
Nottinghamshire, UK

Hails from England

Hi Ali, I'm not sure that I've understood your post right.....are you saying your not happy with the way the work has photographed. Thats a problem I get a lot. From what I can see, if it were mine I would be thrilled. I think your rain drops are wonderful and I have no criticisms at all, I mean that honestly. To me it has a very modern feel and I think if you were marketing it, it would sell very well. I think if you've been working on it all day you probably need to give yourself a break....take it from me I've been battling with mine all evening and have just made myself set it aside.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Thanks so much Marie -you have been very sweet with your comments, I appreciate you trying to give me a boost I think you may be right -I think I have invested so much of myself in this that I am struggling when its not looking like I want because I have to use my damn scanner!
I am having a bad day today -so I am probably just feeling sorry for myself I'm being stupidly tearful

I'm sorry that you have been struggling with your artwork -it looked to me that it was working beautifully and showing some real skill. As I have said before I can't do what you do and I envy you your ability .

I still have quite a lot to do -a few more layers at least before I can play around with the final detail. I've put about 10- 16 layers over the whole thing -more in some areas. I still dont knnow if its worth going on with this -I feel totally disillusioned. I just can't tell!!! -Is it crap or not!!

Hugs,

Ali

Last edited by Jazz : 04-14-2012 at 05:03 PM.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Enthusiast
Germany

Ali, I like your progress! Don't worry too much, enjoy your beautiful piece, it has an unique style. That's great!
Hopefully you will have a better day tomorrow!
-----------------
Angela
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Thank you so very much Angela I truly appreciate your support and kind words, I am trying to drag myself up by my boot straps but it is difficult so I do really need this place and you guys.

Ali
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 03:10 PM

I like the style.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado Rockies

Hails from United States

Let's see, you could just mail this to ME and then I could critique it for you (aka hang it on my wall and never send it back!).
Then you wouldn't have to worry about it any more!