WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Johannes Vloothuis
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1501   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Johannes - Student Question, Answer thread

If you go to the link http://improvemypaintings.com/ and click on watch free live class --top left there is a link to the reference images....
  #1502   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 10:22 AM

Thank you Carol Lee.
  #1503   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Los Angeles, California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Instructor
Just log in at 11:30 AM EDT. No need to register. Just go to http://improvemypaintings.com and click on "Watch Free Live Class"

Thank you Jo !
EDGAR DEGAS
"If you ignore beauty you will soon find yourself without it.But, if you invest in beauty it will remain with you all the days of your life"
FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT
  #1504   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 01:46 AM
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Instructor
I have personal students that come to my studio for classes. I came up with the idea that because I am painting and teaching why not let everyone in on these live classes. They are informal in relaxed social atmosphere. But you will feel you are in the studio with me and my students. The classes are 6 hours. So it you are an obsessive artist, this is for you. The one on April 15 will be free. The other neat thing about this is because of the time length you can paint along with us. Just put your monitor next to your painting. I will provide the reference photo before the class. April 15 is free. After that the idea is to charge a decent fee to continue visiting these classes. Let's see if you like it. Here is the link again:
http://improvemypaintings.com/UstreamFeed.html
April 15 at 11:30 AM EDT

Hi Johannes, Question? you have two conflicting times...
I might as well give you the link now.
1st - The broadcast will be Sunday April 22 at 11:30 PM EDT. - You are all welcome to take this free class.
I know its on 15 April...
2nd - Then next message you say April 15 at 11:30 AM EDT
[/u][/b]
Is it 11.30am or 11.30pm - EDT - as I live in New Zealand it mean I get up at either 3.30am Monday morning or - 3.30pm Monday afternoon... ~ Barbara

Last edited by Obion : 04-14-2012 at 01:49 AM.
  #1505   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 02:08 AM
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obion
1st - The broadcast will be Sunday April 22 at 11:30 PM EDT. - You are all welcome to take this free class.
[/u][/b]
Is it 11.30am or 11.30pm - EDT - as I live in New Zealand it mean I get up at either 3.30am Monday morning or - 3.30pm Monday afternoon... ~ Barbara

It will be on two dates, both April 15 and April 22 (different class, different ref photo; NOT just a repeat). On each of those dates it will be at 11:30 am EDT. (I am sure that's a horrible time for you!)

"All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific." --[The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, by Jane Wagner]
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." --[Gandalf, The Fellowship of the Ring, J.R.R. Tolkien]
  #1506   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Pinellas Park, Florida

Hails from United States

Hi Jo! I hope you are having a great week. I am so excited about the open-studio class tomorrow. The paints are lined up (your palette) and ready to squeeze onto my palette, and a canvas is on the easel. See you in the AM!

Micki
  #1507   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 04:42 PM
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Smile Re: Johannes - Student Question, Answer thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrysherman
It will be on two dates, both April 15 and April 22 (different class, different ref photo; NOT just a repeat). On each of those dates it will be at 11:30 am EDT. (I am sure that's a horrible time for you!)

Hello Sherrysherman, Thank you
Yes it very early 3.30am NZ time -but well worth it, I'm looking forward to tomorrows class... ~ Barbara
  #1508   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Palmerston North, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Quote:
Hello Sherrysherman, Thank you
Yes it very early 3.30am NZ time -but well worth it, I'm looking forward to tomorrows class... ~ Barbara

I'll be joining you at 3.30 am Barbara and agree - it will be well worth it.
  #1509   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Hemet, California

Hails from United States

Johannes,
I couldn't join the Sunday paint-along until it was over and you were painting on someone's picture. I saw the photo for the class. Would you please post YOUR version of it so I could see what you did with the photo in your art work?
Thanks, Kathy
  #1510   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I've got two questions.

1) Can I use concave indentations on the front surface of a rock?

Throughout "Essentials of Painting Rocks" and earlier in Trees and other courses you've insisted on avoiding concave edges on abstract shapes. I kept thinking about flint, chert and other rocks, some of them beautiful, that naturally fracture along a graceful curve. It occurred to me today that if I turn the bit of flint so the concave section is facing me, it's an indentation that gives 3D depth - described only by the shading of the modeling shadows.

Is that what you mean by "No concave lines"? Just watch for them in the outline of the abstract shapes, not avoid them in creating depressions and projections in the front surface of the rock?

2) Can I use reflected colors from sky, foliage, nearby flowers and warm ground to paint 'concrete gray' or other neutral color rocks (black, white) without making them dull and monochrome?"

The simple answer to dull rocks seems to be to paint them all with the warm earths - yellow ochre, iron oxide reds, burnt sienna and so on. But I've painted a lot of white and black cats, gray cats, other neutral color objects. If I heighten the reflected colors is that another effective way to break up the monotony of boring looking rocks?

Thank you for doing a streaming demo again on the 22nd. I made it to this one but didn't feel up to painting along, had the shakes from pain and my hands ached. Hopefully next week I can paint. This might beat up my Internet bill but it might be worth it too. I should probably check online to find out how much access I used.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #1511   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Brecksville, OH

Hails from United States

Johannes, thank you for the wonderful class Sunday. I painted along with you but did not get finished. I got behind with the grass foreground and did not finish. (Really looking forward to your next session on painting Grass and Snow! It is quite a trouble-spot for me with larger areas of grass.)
Did I hear you correctly that you plan to post the video somewhere to be viewed? I hope so, but if not could you post your finished painting for those of us who got behind? Thanks for all of the wonderful instruction! Joanne Cook
  #1512   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
[/u][/b]

11:30 AM EDT
  #1513   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsloan2
I've got two questions.

1) Can I use concave indentations on the front surface of a rock?

Throughout "Essentials of Painting Rocks" and earlier in Trees and other courses you've insisted on avoiding concave edges on abstract shapes. I kept thinking about flint, chert and other rocks, some of them beautiful, that naturally fracture along a graceful curve. It occurred to me today that if I turn the bit of flint so the concave section is facing me, it's an indentation that gives 3D depth - described only by the shading of the modeling shadows.

Is that what you mean by "No concave lines"? Just watch for them in the outline of the abstract shapes, not avoid them in creating depressions and projections in the front surface of the rock?

2) Can I use reflected colors from sky, foliage, nearby flowers and warm ground to paint 'concrete gray' or other neutral color rocks (black, white) without making them dull and monochrome?"

The simple answer to dull rocks seems to be to paint them all with the warm earths - yellow ochre, iron oxide reds, burnt sienna and so on. But I've painted a lot of white and black cats, gray cats, other neutral color objects. If I heighten the reflected colors is that another effective way to break up the monotony of boring looking rocks?

Thank you for doing a streaming demo again on the 22nd. I made it to this one but didn't feel up to painting along, had the shakes from pain and my hands ached. Hopefully next week I can paint. This might beat up my Internet bill but it might be worth it too. I should probably check online to find out how much access I used.

Answer to first question
As long as you don't show a happy smile in the rock unless it is angled by straight lines rather than curved ones.
Answer to second question
I would not relfect a gray sky. I would reflect a blue sky.
  #1514   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Hemet, California

Hails from United States

Johannes,
I was told that last Sunday's paint along would be made available to us as a free download. I couldn't attend and would love to get that download. Is it true that it will be made available, and, if so, when and where?
Kathy
  #1515   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 11:10 AM

Hails from United States

Hi Jo. I've read through this thread, but I am still not sure: Will there be a charge for the class on April 22? I wasn't able to attend April 15. if so, how much will it be?