WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity > The Book Club
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#466   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Harley Brown's eternal truths....

ASIDE. WHERE ARE WE?

Thank you for dropping by. Because this thread is hidden here in the massive WetCanvas, please let your friends know where we are.

Sorry I ramble on but this isn't like a tweet, (that will be something else.) It's my way. Let's look at all the words said by all artists....billions. I remember one instructor going on for hours; my brain was going into freeze-dry. Suddenly he came out with a couple of sentences that I happened to grasp..... important notes on color. Marvelous. At the end of the day I told him how terrific his lecture was. I meant it.

It's the same as digging and digging and finally getting a gold nugget. We must keep our eyes and ears and all our senses open and ready. Our lives are
worth the input. Rembrandt, Chagall, Picasso, Rothko depended on Input.

It becomes Output. Take my word because it took me a while to Get It. We can't waste our time, even in seemingly casual moments. You would be amazed what I visually learned recently during one extended elevator ride. It makes an interesting life even more interesting. Yow!
-Harley-

Last edited by makinart : 04-12-2012 at 03:42 PM.
  #467   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

A portrait painter friend of mine who belongs to WC lamented elsewhere just yesterday that she wished you, Harley, had a blog somewhere. I replied right away to come on down to this thread! She lives in South Africa and has loved your book for years, which she acquired with some difficulty where she is. I expect she will soon be popping in.

(Sorry to steer away from the art-content for a moment).
  #468   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

ASIDE. WHERE ARE WE?......ADD ON

I was just interviewed this AM and ask "what inspires me."

The answer, I feel, is why we're artists. Our very existence is inspired.
FROM MY EXISTENCE........

I'm somehow "tuned into" life in my own unique, developed way. Meaning when I look at things, hear or smell, somehow that fuels the inner engine; even if in a minuscule manner. But if we understand the mind, the smallest of experiences have an effect.

Those tiny bits that happen throughout the day have their effect. Often in such
a subtle way, I (we) don't notice.

What does all this mean; why do I bring it up? No time is really wasted if we realize who we are. Know ourselves; enjoy and drink in our particular world.

Example: I'm totally involved with the long waits in the Doctor's office......it's loaded with life: people chatting intimately; looks of concern, maybe relief; changes of expressions; eyes darting about.

All this goes into my brain cells for safe keeping. These and thousands of other
moments pour into that voracious, receiving bucket attached to my neck. And
no matter how much goes in to the head, it's ready for so much more.

As I work on my technique and approach, those endless images DO influence the way my subconscious guides my brush and pencil. Now, before you think I'm getting thick here, I'll lay down how this has meaning.

We choose how we guide our lives, (mostly.) The important part is allowing it to work with our art. We open ourselves even wider to our world. That "input" is our spirit allowing us to visually express our subjects even more deeply, UNIQUELY in our art. That's what makes each of us......ONE OF A KIND. LIVING our lives with all parts completely aware and in full throttle.

Sounds like a pep rally talk. It's not. It's real life artist talk.

Bottom line here.......today is more import than first thought. You'll see what I mean when you live it.
-Harley-

Last edited by makinart : 04-13-2012 at 06:13 PM.
  #469   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

AN ANSWER FOR SARAH. PT 3

There are ways of teaching and and learning. I'll get in to that deeper and let you know the details.

In the meantime a moment to tell you of revelations that struck home. This is in answer to Sarah's question of "how do we find our own fulfilling pathway?"

First I will tell you that I never for a moment allowed money to be a factor in my life choices. "WHAT?" you say! "We have to live, don't we!?" Yes, but because we're all under different circumstances, I can better relate my own "guide to a life in art."

If I'd been interested in money, I would have continued an early urge of
angling in to architecture, (luckily I was a dope in the maths and geometry.)
Or when "discharged" from art college, gone out and joined the "work force."

I had enough sense in those days to realize when we go in to the art world we
had better be prepared to either have a job, part time job or live hand to
mouth. Remember now, I was young and wonderfully naive, which in certain ways is a blessing:

"I'M GOING TO BE AN ARTIST FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE." Simple as that.

"When you finally have a one track mind, it simplifies the options." Put that
sentence away for safe keeping and go back to it once in a while.

So in many ways, my life was uncomplicated. I did art, and looked for avenues to sell it. Often, I'd join the "pleasures of life" with my work........doing portraits in taverns and restaurants while enjoying endless revelry.

Seeking out galleries was endless. I can beat out many artists in the number of galleries I approached, and quickly being guided out their doors. Remember: that is not failure, that is part of "THE PROCESS."

All this while, I was learning about people and life and most importantly,
developing my art, (although the real learning came years later.)

Two important factors that I continue to repeat: my inquisitive eyes and ears were open wide like the Grand Canyon.

For example I studied artists' works through the ages......eg, the art of the Ashcan Group looked in many ways casual and easy in application. No! It might have looked slapped on with a brush, but in reality, great care was give the subjects. Those strokes were learned, skilled strokes made from years of study and work. Much like many artists we take for granted. Looking closely at a Rembrandt head, it has the feeling of a carefree approach. Look closer.

I would hear things like: keep the color simple until you really understand and are comfortable with color. As Whistler said, we're not born colorists, we have to learn the dynamics of hues. Once the Munsell Color Theory was thrown into my face, I had an absolute "battle plan" with color. (I love to play music, but I had to learn the scales.

I will make another comment here that needs continual repeating. I've always told my students that the "learning curve" is not work but pure fun. It is exciting to grab on to information in art, ideas, critiques, original thoughts, and apply them. My days of learning were, (and are,) monumentally exhilarating. That's why I'm an artist and have lasted these years.
-Harley-
(continued)

Last edited by makinart : 04-14-2012 at 01:35 PM.
  #470   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 01:38 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Harley, much enjoyed "An Answer For Sarah, Pt 3."
  #471   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 04:53 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Henderson, NV

Hails from United States

Me too! Especially:
"When you finally have a one track mind, it simplifies the options."

Perfect.
  #472   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 03:51 AM
Veteran Member

FOR SARAH AND ALL

It inspires me to know that my words are reaching out and coming home to many.

Let's broaden the family.
-Harley-
(to be continued)

Last edited by makinart : 04-15-2012 at 03:59 AM.
  #473   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

SPEAKING OF BROADENING

I'm off to hear a lecture on artist Mark Rothko. He was heavily implanted into our minds at art college. This will be a reunion of sorts.
-Harley-
  #474   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

BROADENING

So I went to the lecture on Rothko. It was a good talk but it was an introduction to the live play, "RED." An acclaimed play now on Broadway.

It was a two person performance about Rothko himself. I admired and enjoyed it for many reasons........ One and a half hours of two actors on stage before a full house and not a dull moment. Bravo!

I love to see talent from many aspects. It's inspiring to sit next to brilliant people and hear what they have to say. Oh, the human mind.
-Harley-

Last edited by makinart : 04-17-2012 at 10:40 PM.
  #475   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 06:20 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi Harley,
Just wanted to let you know Im still reading and always inspired by your words thank you for being here

www.sarahfoxfineart.co.uk
  #476   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

BROADENING 2. (Yes, we do live and learn.)

I've mentioned this before but the stage play, REDS, I saw recently about Mark Rothko, brings it back for a repeat.

I never quite "got it" with Rothko's works......I thought I understood them when going to art college. But I thought I understood a lot of things back then.

So Rothko became and remained obscure. Every once in a while I'd say a sarcastic remark about his paintings; how could those who owned one get close to figuring "what he was 'saying' in his works? Of course I'd have a smirk on my face that showed how clever I was. (I'd like to go back in time and wipe those smirks off my face. They are tiresome.)

A good friend of mine in the past 30 years, (who is no longer with us,) is Bob Kuhn. Phenomenal animal artist, (google his images.) Bob loved Rothko's art. He was ecstatic about Mark Rothko. He and I would go around and 'round about it which would get us no where. The years went on........

Then we were traveling and found our way to a major museum. In it happened to be some Rothkos. Well, Bob, true to form started to go on, with arms flailing, as to how we should all appreciate this genius.

My mouth started to open with my usual rebuttal. But something came into my mind that put it to a stop, (and in Bob's case, forever.) I finally dawned on me
as to why should I try to dull these grand moments that Bob was having with one of his idols? Who am I to tell Bob, "No, you don't; how dare you like these Rothko paintings!" I must add that Bob Kuhn is one of most brilliant people I've ever known.

So here we are.......Rothko loved to paint them and Bob, and so many others love to look and experience them. I'm so happy we don't all have the same taste........what an interesting world in which we live.

It took me a few years to realize that not everyone has to think like me. Actually, not everyone is obliged to listen to me. I call it the BOB KUHN
EFFECT.
-Harley-

Last edited by makinart : 04-18-2012 at 07:47 PM.
  #477   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2012, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member

THANK YOU

Thank you Fritzie and Hal and Lola and Sarah for your recent kind and inspiring notes. There are other names as well; you know who you are and you know how much I appreciate your words. Including your Wisdom.

The art world can have the feel of community and we flow in and out of it. Only people in the arts "get" the strange/spirited and sometimes reclusive world in which we live. There are times I live in several places, the art studio being one. The other "trips" are wherever my wandering mind wants to take me. But my comfort zone is near the easel......it's always waiting for me, wondering what I'll do next.

I do somewhat isolate myself now in the last few years; but whenever I'm out seeing friends and artist pals, I automatically feel like I'm in my wonderfully eccentric early days. The Fountain of Youth.

So, being with you good people is another joy in my life.........
-Harley-

Last edited by makinart : 04-20-2012 at 12:13 AM.
  #478   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2012, 01:48 AM
Immortalized
In my studio--CA

Hails from United States

Hi Harley and gang!

I've been a bit behind in posting on this thread, but I have peeked in a couple times to see what was being said. The good news is I've been busy painting --for a show-- and I found I couldn't let myself get sidetracked--especially by a computer. One of the things I discovered is that I absolutely hated the pressure of painting to a deadline. The show has a theme to boot and that raised the level of anxiety. I kept feeling I had some outside expectations to meet and that it took me away from the painting process. I wonder if others have had this experience.

Anyway, that's the rant. Now I'll get back to reading Harley's notes, do some drawing, and maybe start feeling a lot better.,

Last edited by Sonni : 04-21-2012 at 02:03 AM.
  #479   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

LIFE OF THE ARTIST

Your words strike that oft heard chord, Sonni. Many of us get that feeling.

Way, way back it helped when I read the lives of the masters and found they didn't have it so easy. We think of Rembrand's and Michaelangelo's difficult commissions and deadlines. They had legitimate complaints, but such inspired art. You're in good company, Sonni! Your drawing will have that spirit.

Once in a while I like a "way out" project. The odd part is, I'm curious as to just what I'll end up doing. Strange, we artists can be.
-Harley-

Last edited by makinart : 04-21-2012 at 03:26 PM.
  #480   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 PM
Immortalized
In my studio--CA

Hails from United States

Thanks, Harley. I know it's not easy, on occasion it gets me down and I start wondering why I'm doing it. Sometimes I think we have pre-programmed ideas of what we should be doing and those ideas get into mystic altercations with what we want to do and at some level know we can do. Frustrating. But I guess you do your best to work through it and try to figure out what you learned in the process.

I did look at those wonderful Terpning paintings you gave us the link to. Downloaded them and studied them. I've been a long-time admirer and saw a huge painting of his at the Autry (think that's the name) in Pasadena a few years ago. You had a piece there as well and that's why I went. But I was blown away by the Terpning painting! I'd like just a fraction of his vision.

Rothko--never understood him either, but always felt he had such a good sense of color mood and could present it in a way that was comfortable (for me at least) unlike de Kooning whose work seemed anxiety ridden (or maybe he was having a good time on acid or coke, quien sabe). I used to think it was ridiculous to ask an artist why he or she painted something in a certain way. I no longer do. I was enchanted with Rauchenberg because the fellow had a fantastic sense of design. Still like his work.

Packing up this week to go back to Calif for the summer. Down here the volcano El Popo south of Mexico City is spewing steam and clastic particles-- and in my neck of the woods north of the border there seems to be some meteorite activity riling the natives with sonic booms and possible craters. Ma Nature at work. Makes my art problems seem small.

Last edited by Sonni : 04-22-2012 at 11:17 PM.