WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

Question Question on mixing pencils

Hi all,
I need your wisdom on the following topic- I have CPs from different brands, some of them very soft (Derwent Drawing), and some of them very hard (CD Pablos). Do they work together? Which should go over which? So far it seems that trying to draw with Pablos over the Derwents isn't working, but since the Derwents are much more opaque, it doesn't seem to make sense to draw with the Derwents over the Pablos. Any insight?
Thanks,
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Enthusiast
Nottinghamshire, UK

Hails from England
Re: Question on mixing pencils

Hi, I use different brands and I find they will all play nice together but you are right some ways of layering work better than others. I find the Pablos and Lyras will go over Derwent drawing as long as the layer of derwents is light. Mostly I use Derwents as a top layer for various accents because they will go over most things and still allow the layers underneath to show through enough. Pablos and Lyras are brilliant for layering and Derwent drawing are great for blending and for some burnishing type techniques. Just experiment and you will find they all have their place
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 06:58 PM
PA

Hails from United States

Generally, they all work and play well together. I find I like to use the harder pencils in the early layers. As Marie said, play around. You'll find the combination that works for your style.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Australia

Are Derwent Drawing really good for burnishing? They seem too matte to me. I haven't tried it yet, but Drawing are different from other CPs, being more like a cross between a pastel and a CP; drier, crumbly, matte (but lovely and velvety).
I could imagine that no, they wouldn't play well with other CPs. Derwent Coloursoft, yes, but don't know about Drawing. Marie says she's had success with it, so I can't argue with that, however I can see why you may be frustrated and not achieving results. To me, they seem like they might matte out the glossiness of CP.
cheer
Donna
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Donna, Elaine and Marie- thanks for your comments. I haven't played around yet (I got a bit frustrated and decided to take a break from CPs for a while), bit will try going one on top of the other and vice versa.
Thanks,