WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 02:57 AM
Pune, India

Hails from India
Alone

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Alone
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Was feeling lonely at that time ;-)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Have I added too much detail in the face?
Colour
Composition
All and any other critiques. Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Denver, CO

Hails from United States
Re: Alone

I love the way her clothes fall on her and the position of her body. The colors are balanced and nice. I would change the position of her hand, seems a little awkward. I like the face but might soften the yellow in the cheeks a little. This is a lovely painting
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Lord of the Arts
S.E. Missouri

Hails from United States

Very expressive work! I enjoyed this painting and the only critique I would offer would be the hand... the fingers are not quite right and that catches the eye. Lovely work that tells a story.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Lord of the Arts
East Coast USA

Hails from United States

I really like this expressive work, but I do agree that the hands need work.

Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 08:58 AM
A Local Legend
Hill Country, Texas, y'all

Hails from United States

While I agree with the other crits, this is fundamentally terrific. It's great the way you deploy confident, loose watercolor technique. One suggestion: there's rather an outline around the figure below her face. This produces hard edges. Use a scrubber brush to blur and soften the edges between her body and the background and I believe you'll see an improvement.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast
Boynton Beach, Fl. 33437

Hails from United States

Very nice. I like the way you played with the complements, the reds against the greens and the puples against the yellows. Nice balance. As mentioned above, that hand isn't right. You can leave it there but you should fix it. It looks distorted.

Boynton Beach, Fl.FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2008834&id=1336767036&l=a57d27ae4c[/font]
/
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Pune, India

Hails from India

Thank you all.... Inspiring comments...

Ajit
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 12:33 AM
Pune, IN

Hails from India

Very nice work....loved the colors.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Pune, India

Hails from India

Thanks tavs ;-)
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2012, 09:51 PM

Wow, very nice drawing...
Nice handling of watercolor wash.
Your rendering of form just sucks though.

- The hand is just too small. Put your own hand up to your face with the bottom of your palm on your chin. Your middle finger will tap just above your eyebrows. If you do that with the measurements in your drawing, you will see the hand is too small. Take the length of her hand and put it up to her face. The hand you drew is not foreshortened, so it should be as big as most of her face.

- The rectangle in the upper left does not help your image, and could be removed. Same with the ocean waves at her feet.

- Your light source is ambiguous, so your shadows are kind of random. And you lose track of your hard and soft edges on your shadows. That is not such a big deal in this kind of a watercolor, but it would be interesting to see you render this again with a strong light coming from one side or the other.

- To answer your question, no you didn't put too much detail in the face. I do think more carefully thought out shading would model the form better though. As it is, you are relying on your drawing, and ignoring the form rendering.

- Your green background is very intense color. Graying it back with a red wash would make it recede into the background more, and hence it would flatten the figure less. Intense colors come FORWARD. Gray colors RECEDE BACKWARD. So you don't ever want intense background colors.

- You have hard sharp edges on your round forms. (shoulders, legs, face) Sharp edges flatten form, soft edges make forms appear more round. Google "atmospheric perspective" and read up on the rules about this. You draw too well to not understand these concepts, so please do learn it. It will help your modeling of form a LOT.