WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Immortalized

Good Instructional Book?

Any one know of any good instruction, tutorial type books for a beginner in colored pencil? Similar to Jason Morgan's type books? Thank you

Paintings: http://www.flickr.com/photos/safari_jane/
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Re: Good Instructional Book?

The best info you will find anywhere, imo, is the colored pencil library here. Lots of demos and different ways to work.

(Ha, ha, I first typed "demons"...)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 12:03 PM
PA

Hails from United States

Yep. What Robin said. You will find lots of different styles and techniques in the library, as opposed to just one person's style and approach in a book. I'm not a big fan of 'how to' books. Check out some work. See how people do things. Then pick up the pencils and see what works for you. Oh yeah, and practice. Just my humble opinion. (I really would like a dog emoticon! )

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

How about this one, Elaine?

Right. Back on topic...
Books-- so gonna agree with Robin & Elaine. But, if you're really wanting a book to read through & work out of, just keep this in mind: Books teach what works for the author. They're style, manner of working, and technique examples may not work for your style, manner of working, and artistic vision. So. Books, just like the threads here, should be considered a *starting* place for your own experiments and explorations.

That being said-- my fave book suggestion for absolute beginners is:
The Colored Pencil by Bet Borgeson (isbn-13: 9780823007493). It's a good introduction to the basics. Walks you through the idea of layers, paper selection, transferring sketches, and lots of other techniques.

But. Check it out (or any book!) from your library before you buy. 'Cause you may discover it isn't a good fit for you.

There is no substitute for experience. So play and experiment and practice and make wildly awful mistakes. That's the fun part. That's the heartbreak. And the exhilaration. And where learning and inspiration come from, too.

Rosemary

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Canada

Hails from Canada

HI,
I personally read a lot so of course, I started with our ref library but I also bought a bunch of books, from Gary Greene to Alyona Nickelsen : )

I love them all ! most of them are mainly "step-by-step" books and funny enough, I haven't done any of the demos in the books ! LOL... I had purchased one cat demo that I did. I just use them as reference now.

Mind you, I don't have any kind of art background and there are no CP teachers in my area so I use the books as my "teachers" .... I read what they have to say, I try it , and then I evaluate if it fits me or not.

For example, the burnishing technique. I love to burnish , lots of experts like Ann Kullberg never burnish. That's ok.

Anyway, here are my favorite books:
Bet Borgeson, she's a classic !
for portrait: Ann Kullberg
for pet portrait: Ann De Mille Flood
to help achieve luminosity and layer with complements: Cecile Baird
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Immortalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinZ
The best info you will find anywhere, imo, is the colored pencil library here. Lots of demos and different ways to work.

(Ha, ha, I first typed "demons"...)

Where do I go to get to the colored pencil library? I guess I'm too addicted to looking at everybody else's work to find much else around here

Thanks everyone else for your tips on books and I will be looking into many of them, thanks a bunch

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast
Nottinghamshire, UK

Hails from England

There you go Karen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98

I'd take some coffee and plenty of snacks we may not see you again for a while
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast
N.S.W

Hails from Australia

Hi, I agree with johanneL, but would also add Janie Gildow in there. I also don't have an art background or any teachers in my area. I used books to try to learn what everything was. In some way's I found it helpful. But now that I'm trying to break away from books and tutorials I find it very difficult and confusing it's like the books and tute's paralysis you and I've enjoyed drawing more just by trying things myself.

I also used online lesson's by Janie Gildow and found these to be filled with more info about techniques then what was written in books.

http://www.janiegildow.com/html/catalog.html

Janie is very helpful and she will answer's any questions you have, she is lovely. The only thing I'm not sure about them is that Janie uses tiny circular strokes to draw everything, I really want to learn to draw animals so now trying to get use to more of line type stroke is difficult, as I got so use to the circular strokes.

But really I need to say. I don't think you need how to books, your work has been extremely good. If I was able to come up with the stuff you have done I'd be stoked, I think you would figure it out through trail and error very quickly.

Forgot to add I also agree that the cp library is extremely helpful also.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado Rockies

Hails from United States

My favorite book thus far is "The Colored Pencil Bible" by Alyona Nickelsen.
And I agree that the cp library here on WC is good.
I don't follow anyone else's method in an identical way, but I do like to read books to get new and varied ideas on how to approach things. Then I experiment to find which methods work best for me.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 09:30 PM
PA

Hails from United States

Just so you can find it again, the CP Library is at the very top of the forum page. There's also a link in my sig line! When you get there, look for the INDEX near the top of the page. (My link takes you right to the index.)

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Immortalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocmd123
Just so you can find it again, the CP Library is at the very top of the forum page. There's also a link in my sig line! When you get there, look for the INDEX near the top of the page. (My link takes you right to the index.)

I found it and now I am completely overwhelmed LOL
Still trying to understand what the heck 'solvent' does at the moment
Thanks again every one for your replies

What does Light fastness mean? Lots of discussion but no initial explanation, maybe I'll go google it.

Last edited by KarenESP : 04-14-2012 at 09:28 AM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 09:28 AM
PA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenESP
I found it and now I am completely overwhelmed LOL

You were warned to grab a snack and a beverage before going in there!

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Immortalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocmd123
You were warned to grab a snack and a beverage before going in there!

I wish there were more pictures with everybody's notes

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle
My favorite book thus far is "The Colored Pencil Bible" by Alyona Nickelsen.

That would be my first choice too.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Immortalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by salemskye
That would be my first choice too.

Your not gonna' believe this but I was just looking at that online. I think I'll go for it. Might try the other suggestion for an animal reference book I was given as well

So I just ordered the Pet Portrait Book by Ann De Mille Flood
and next will be the Colored P. Bible. I need some books to sit and look at - at work. I get too distracted on line, wind up going in every direction, get easily distracted by artists' galleries... on and on. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by KarenESP : 04-14-2012 at 11:15 AM.