WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States
Re: David's "Sketching Utah" thread.

I'm not displeased when I get daily blog updates. James Gurney sometimes does 3 or 4 posts a day, and I read them all. This is a beautiful sketch and I can't imagine why you shouldn't post it and others like it. Just my 2 cents.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 07:53 AM
A Local Legend
england

Hails from England

I find it interesting to see more work and not just the best. I read blogs via google reader so they don't clog up my in box.

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 04:06 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

I saw the mansion on your blog, but I really like the house sketch too. I think you should post these kinds of sketches too. They have a lot of value, and even if you don't think they are perfect, it is good to show them. I have a separate email address that all the blog updates go to. I visit most of the blogs I like all the time anyway, so I don't need to be notified. Once in a while I go to the other email address and quickly check it and delete everything.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

The pen and wash is fabulous. As to the blog, I don't know what the answer is, but sounds like the majority don't mind seeing all your work and posting even more than once a day is fine.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 02:05 AM
A Local Legend
Utah

Hails from United States

Thanks John, I'm just about back to normal now.

Thanks Margo. I have to wonder though, if I posted ten or more of these little sketches every week across several posts if it might become boring, you know, too much of the same all the time.

Vivien, I can understand that from an artist's POV, but I wonder that if I use the blog somehow in the future as a professional artist if so many posts of quickies might turn off potential customers? I'm not saying I'm using this blog that way right now, but I do have the goal of some day becoming a professional artist, or at least semi-pro, so maybe I should act as professional as possible in all I do right now?

Thanks Joan

Thanks Debby. I know other artists don't mind seeing all kinds of sketches but I'm not sure it's smart to present myself to the world at large that way. I do hope I eventually attract non-artists to the blog as well.

I think for now I'll try a compromise. I'll plan on doing two posts per week. One will be the major post that's in keeping with the theme of the blog, sketches of Utah landmarks and the other blog will be a select few misc. sketches.

David
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

That sounds good too David. I think it's difficult to know what to post in the beginning, and you should do what makes you feel most comfortable. I don't have a blog and some of it for this very reason, though I feel like it might be a good idea to start one soon. I'm just really enjoying one of the first periods of my life that is relatively obligation free and am very hesitant to take up something that could take up so much time. Good luck however you decide to go, I think you are off to a good start.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 07:21 AM
A Local Legend
england

Hails from England

I wouldn't ever use my blog in a professional capacity David - the website is for that. The blog is just personal musings

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 10:41 AM
A Local Legend
Utah

Hails from United States

I don't mean to say that I'm using this blog professionally, though there are many artists that do use blogs to sell their art and services quite successfully. What I mean is I don't want this blog to come off as too amateur. I actually view this as a test blog really, something I'm using as a learning tool, a stepping stone towards eventually becoming a professional, I hope.

David
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

V has a very valid point, I see lots of artists who utilize both, and as use the blog for newsletters to the customers too, and very successfully I might add.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 01:54 PM
A Local Legend
england

Hails from England

Yes I understand David - you are simply thinking of if they look it up.

I follow several blogs where professionals show their thought processes and subsequent improvements on work they decide isn't up to standard - I really like to see that.

I think it's about showing judgement and self crit. I showed work (life drawing) in a local gallery before and at the start of my degree and the gallery owner gave me an excellent piece of advice - 'never sign your name to something substandard that will come back to haunt you'! At that stage I would have shown anything just for the sake of being in the gallery! So in that sense I never ever sign and sell work that I don't think is adequate - but I will show work in process and sometimes dire results with improvement as it's about judgement and thought processes which don't contradict that advice. Hope that makes sense He gave me lots of other useful good advice over the years - 'Frank by name and frank by nature' as he said about himself including 'are you safe let out on your own' on one scatty occasion!

#71   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 04:22 PM
A Local Legend
Utah

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhere

- 'never sign your name to something substandard that will come back to haunt you'! At that stage I would have shown anything just for the sake of being in the gallery! So in that sense I never ever sign and sell work that I don't think is adequate

I wholeheartedly agree with that one. I've only produced a handful of paintings I was willing to sign and put a frame around. So far I've only put two paintings in a show with a price, (pastels). I plan on stepping it up this year though. Oil painting is finally starting to click for me and in fact already this year I've produced four oil paintings I am signing and framing and will put up for sale whereas last year out of 40-50 paintings I didn't produce a single one I was proud of. I may even participate in a big plein air show this summer.

I probably will keep the sketching blog a little "loose" since sketching is a loose form of art anyway, I want to be careful to not let the blog become too amateurish however. It's almost a bit scary. I am no longer anonymous already. If you do a google search for "sketching utah" I come up right at the top of the first page, my blog and this thread! And even on a slightly more generic search such as "David King Utah" I come up on the 2nd or 3rd page. In fact I've been moving up on that search. After a couple weeks the blog was coming up on the middle of the 3rd page now it just came up at the bottom of the 2nd. (thank you to all who visit my blog. ) I am out there now, no hiding!

BTW, I finally got back out sketching again today and will post later.

David
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 05:56 PM
A Local Legend
Utah

Hails from United States

As promised here are today's sketches;

Check my blog for the details. I'm probably going to go out and do one more this afternoon, probably a watercolor sketch.

David
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Some good sketches. I have a horse across from the end of my driveway, I have to admit I haven't managed one good sketch of her yet. My dog is so thrilled by the horse, city dog never seen such a creature, that she wants to go along, sometimes holding her leash and sketching doesn't work too well! She is good when I'm just doing the landscape but she wants the horse to talk to her, so she does all sorts of silly things, amusing really so I always take her.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 06:13 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

From horse to architecture, you have some nice subjects to sketch.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 06:39 PM
A Local Legend
Utah

Hails from United States

Thanks Margo, Debby. I guess I should mention these were both done with a Twist-Erase .9 pencil in my 5x7 Strathmore bristol smooth sketchbook.

David