WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#121   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 11:32 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States
Re: The Three Problems With Pencils In Pen And Ink

This thread has gotten to be so much fun since all posts by the "un-named one" are blocked. I can easily deduce what he has said by the other posts.

Recently we had a class-wide critique where each student had to present their work for the semester to the other students for peer review.

Every student asked lots of questions, many made some polite suggestions, but oddly enough not one person ever told another that they HAD to follow certain rules. It really was pleasant and informative 2 hours.

Civility is so much better a way to get a point across thatn fanaticism and intolerance.

life is good
  #122   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Birdhs,
While I can still read all the posts I choose not to.
I have taken the "premise" of the thread and applied it to other parts of my life. I look at ways where life would have been diminished had the "rules" been followed to the "T".
I consider the feedback which would be given had such statements been made without the anonimity of the internet.
I think about my right to say and the wisdom not to.
I think about what I do, love, crave, experience, support, embellish, learn, teach and I rejoice in the fact that I took the different road, I stood my ground, I stand firm in my beliefs and nothing can make me change who I am nor what I stand for.
I walk by those in Occupy Philly sitting outside a Wells Fargo branch free to comment how they want. I read different views of national and international news and search for truth, not what the media would feed to me. I relish being free in all I do and in all I create. And I know that tomorrow comes no matter what.
Sheila
  #123   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Enthusiast
Carthage, MO

Hails from United States

U-AH-T, Sir. I posted pictures proving that I don't use anything but a pen on portraits, (the one thing that I could prove without a shadow of a doubt), and you never said anything, except to mention the slight little slip-up on your name. I feel as though the lead was kicked out of me by your lack of praise, and my self esteem has plummeted to the depths of the dark inky ocean. I feel like grabbing some color pencils.

Sherry
  #124   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 12:51 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

"Sherry Pettey" ran your name through the web and found out you are quite a fine artist indeed. I liked your works, and found the stuff about the mural quite entertaining.

Never be down over the ramblings of anyone else. Follow your dream and enjoy yourself - who cares whether 'the un-named' ever replies or acknowledges you.

life is good

greg
  #125   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 12:56 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

http://www.writersbeat.com/member.php?u=5849
Uath (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 11
I am very much a ghost hunter. This was an abandoned section of Virginia City. I was out at night deliberately taking pictures of ghosts.
Here are some of my top images:

http://ghastlydoor.com/ghost-hunting-top-photographs/
  #126   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 01:01 AM
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Description of Ad Hominem

Translated from Latin to English, "Ad Hominem" means "against the man" or "against the person."
An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First, an attack against the character of person making the claim, her circumstances, or her actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the following form:
  1. Person A makes claim X.
  2. Person B makes an attack on person A.
  3. Therefore A's claim is false.
The reason why an Ad Hominem (of any kind) is a fallacy is that the character, circumstances, or actions of a person do not (in most cases) have a bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim being made (or the quality of the argument being made).
  #127   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Enthusiast
Carthage, MO

Hails from United States

Greg:

Sherry

Someone I just did today, trying to be Clint Eastwood....LOL....(Not my 8 minute-type portrait...more like an hour...he paid extra $)!
Attached Images

#128   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 01:35 AM
Lord of the Arts
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBSullivan
Uath, I've been a successful pen & ink artist for many years, and i've also taught pen & ink courses at the college level, and I know a few things too.... if a customer wants a rendering of their home, they dont want a crooked version, they don't want a flat no-depth version.... they dont want a spontaneous human mistake hanging on their wall. I see the type of work you do and i suppose your way works fine for the "book illustration" kinda images you create.

Here is a drawing I did of a local scene here where I live. It's one of my most successful prints. This specific image CANNOT be taken with a camera due to the layout of trees and the way the buildings lie in relation to the scene in real life. I basically re-created this scene WITH PENCIL using perspective, straight edges, rulers, etc. Did I trace over my pencil lines with a pen?? NO! but I did create the placement of various objects using a pencil. It took me aprox 150 hours to create this... not 8 hrs!! I spend more than 8 hrs taking reference photos for my drawings. Perhaps you would do well to stop churning out these quickies of yours! Then maybe you would know what a REAL pen & ink artist endures!

I'll put my work up against yours all day long!! It seems that you couldnt let sleeping dogs lie from the thread from the other day when we both expressed our own personal views. gloves are off pal! bring it!

Of course, I do agree with one thing you said on that first thread.... you ARE old and cranky!!

And to all the beginners/novices.... please don't let this man confuse you... use your own discretion and know that it's perfectly FINE to use pencil to lay out your drawing/painting in ANY art form!

This is absolutely beautiful! Being a mere learner myself I get encouragement from posts such as yours DB. Great modern artists say there is no such thing as cheating if you get the result you want.
  #129   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Uath look at my truck thread and pay close attention to the progression pics no pencil there
  #130   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 AM

Hails from Netherlands

I see myself as an artist. Pen and ink is one of my favorite mediums for sketches and artwork. So in a way I am a pen and ink artist.
But I will use pencils for the stages in between.
Sketch in Ink, perspective study in pencil.maybe a few more studies in pencil or ink.
I usually use a few marks in pencil on the paper that's gonna be my pen and ink artwork, then work it out in pen.

To me pencil is just a tool, like my table top on which I'm drawing and the chair I'm sitting on. It helps me as an artist, yeah I can draw with my drawingpad while sitting on the floor. A chair and a tabletop are the tools to make it easier for me.

Being an artist is about your creative process.
The technic of how to apply your creations is quite irrelevant. As an artist you decide how and with what tools you craft your art.

I seen craftsmen make beautifull drawings of flowers.. for use on pottery etc.
But If they are asked to make something different , they cannot.
The have this craft of drawing beautifull stuff which they perfect, by doing it every day.
Are they artist? If they cannot make anything else... No, they are craftsmen maybe even master craftsmen...
If make other stuff as well, they are an artist with skill mastery on one thing..

After your creative phase you and everyone else is using his chosen crafting skills to create the final artwork.

If you make the decision to delete a tool for yourself during this phase, Power to you! It could make you a better pen and ink craftsman.

But to force your opinion onto other artist? Well that's not Ok in my book.
Calling people cheaters because they dare to use a pencil as a tool?

No thank you, you are tring to impose your will on others.

If you think somone is not a pen and ink artist because of his tools he is using that's just one opinion that is yours, not mine, not the opinion of a lot of other people.

You get it... I stongly disagree with your opinion!

Limiting yourself in your tools can make you a better craftsmen, but it doesn't make you a better artist.(I think you are an artist FWIW)

For most people, a pen and ink artwork is an artwork made with pen and ink, they don't care what exact tools are used.
  #131   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 08:12 PM

Hails from Canada

i think pencil is a tool in pen and ink, and an invaluable one at that. Each of us has their own style and you shouldn't disprespect that. It's your opinion and only that. It is certainly not law, or cast in stone, or published in a pen and ink technique book. If it is published in a book, it shouldn't be because it is up to the artist to execute a painting as he sees fit. It is just your opinion. get over it.