WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 03:35 PM
A WC! Legend
New Bedford, MA

Hails from United States
Re: Backgrounds!! My Ruination...

I'm with Candle. Only recently have I begun to treat the background with any great thought and while I recognize its importance the background still isn't where my enthusiam lies. If I'm working on a portrait it's the little girl's phiz that captures my attention, not the park bench she's sitting on, so I do the background first to, in the broadest sense, get it out of the way.

If you remember to draw what you see and not what you think you see this will be a winner.

Rob
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast
Nottinghamshire, UK

Hails from England

First of all I wanted to say I think your flowers are beautiful and your background is off to a good start. I'm one of those that has made myself love doing the background. I try to look at the whole thing and put a lot of effort into the right background and work on the connections between each element in my work. A good background can lift a good painting to a great painting. If I work it all out in the beginning I don't have to worry about ruining what I've done.....well not anymore than I do anyway Good luck, I'm sure it'll be fine
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Lincolnshire, UK

Hails from England

Thank you Douglass, salemskye, candle, Rob and MarieUK!! I've taken on board all you guy's have suggested. NEXT project, I'll force myself to tackle the background first. I'll also make a point to NOT USE GRAPHITE for the first outlines!! Even though I used a very light touch, I have STILL found it's marked the paper. It's one hell of a job to get any colour in the ridge it's left. I'll use the colour pencil relevant for the line next time.

I think I'll also use a darker green, and will post the piece so far tomorrow.

G'night all,

Ange
x

Northern Lass
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Enthusiast
Narbonne, France

Hails from France

Ange, the flower is beautiful so far and your background already in place seems to work well with it! I think, as others have said before me, you could go on, strengthening the colors of the flower and by continuing a blurred background still light touch. The background often seem boring to do, after a few setbacks I reversed the process starting with that. Now, I integrates as I go, around the drawing to better see the colors that go with the motif by creating a harmony.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Black River Falls, Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Lass

Hi Michelle, many thanks. Yes, I can push the darks a bit more maybe. NOT on that background though. It's such a horrible day here in Lincolnshire, drizzly rain all day so far - but boy, do we need it!! Officially in drought conditions, with a ban on using a hose pipe to water garden/wash vehicles etc. STILL, my gain, this weather..... I CAN carry on colouring without feeling GUILTY!!!

Ange
x
Send some of that rain our way! We are currently on high alert for fires since we had such a mild winter (very little snow) and hardly any rain this spring. When the weather is bad, I definitely don't feel as guilty staying inside working on my art! However, I get really grumpy on days that I can't spend time in my studio.

"Soli Deo Gloria"
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Lincolnshire, UK

Hails from England
Re: Backgrounds!! My Ruination... UPDATE

Well, been plodding on today, got a bit more done. Also added to background, bottom left of picture. Don't know whether to just darken it up a bit.

Ange
x

Attached Images

Northern Lass
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Burnsville, MN

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSewell

If you remember to draw what you see and not what you think you see this will be a winner.

Rob

I say this to myself all the time. Excellent advise as it relates to backgrounds. But just excellent advise in general.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 07:44 PM
A WC! Legend
New Bedford, MA

Hails from United States

What a gorgeous piece. The colors on the petals are so delicate.

Rob
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 02:25 AM
Enthusiast
Nottinghamshire, UK

Hails from England

Excellent flowers and I think the background is coming on well too
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 PM
PA

Hails from United States

I like the purple you've got in the upper corner. You're really doing a very nice job with the mottled/blurred background.

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi! Neighbour ,

I think this is turning into a lovely flower piece -Keep going! Don't let your fear get the better of you it can be paralysing - I know I've been there.

I love the softness of this and I really love your water droplets and also the colours you have used in the underside of the petals -it works beautifully As for the background, I really think the colours you are using are complimenting the flower colours really well.

Just keep doing what your doing -its working .

I am looking forward to seeing the finished piece -no pressure

Ali
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Lincolnshire, UK

Hails from England
Well, I've finished it,

Following my thread some days ago about backgrounds, I did as was suggested by some and it's finished. I've used a LITTLE zest-it as I'm very new to this type of blending. I know the background is **busy** and probably ruins it a bit, but not got the courage to 'zest-it' all of it Anyway, here it is. Quite pleased, after a 4-year break the very first thing I've done.

Thank you for looking,

Ange
x
Attached Images

Northern Lass

Last edited by Northern Lass : 04-17-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Add image!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Enthusiast
Grass Valley, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Well, I've finished it,

very pretty! I dont think the background is busy. I agree it is very intimidating to do something new like use a solvent on something you have put hours and hours into getting it this far. Anyway, very nice piece!
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast
Germany

Re: Backgrounds!! My Ruination... - Finished

Very nice, lovely and soft. I like the background. Beautiful!
-----------
Angela
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States
Re: Backgrounds!! My Ruination... - Finished

Regardless if the background is busy or not, it is the manner of the flow of the design you have achieved. It is pleasing to the eye and helps direct your vision throughout the piece. Me personally, I like the darker start at the upper left corner. I think it would have made the piece fulminate and really made the piece stand out.

Portraity