WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 03:28 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Portrait study Of ~Elle~ in Charcoal

Hey there Kiran , I gota say, Ive always ment to say ~ (incase I never get the chance ) I love your Name its so groovy .... ok now thats off my chest , sorry Im not myself of late .... but yes your right this is most impressive, I have great teachers here as you can see , and really its funny how much you/me start to notice these things ~well almost notice (Ive still a path to tread do we ever stop , , meaning I am a emotive person , I want to make beautifully soft classical paintings one day of my daughter a series of her i guess , I have them in my head as we speck and its not hard to be inspired by her shes quite striking as you know ...I think this means I am really growing inside as an Artist with Vision and for saying to me this is more then just a Portrait, well ' you just climbed into my heart Kiran , and there you will remain ...
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 04:34 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Portrait study Of ~Elle~ in Charcoal

Sandra, this is much more realistic of Nell than I've ever seen you do before -- you are really growing by leaps and bounds at the atelier. I generally love the eyes you do the best, but with this one, I love the way you've captured her lips. As for the lighting, it looks like you were working in indirect light, so the masses of light and dark were not as obvious. It's easier work to draw from a model you've set up with a strong light source, so I congratulate you heartily on what you've achieved here. It really shows the essence of your daughter's beauty!

Greater and greater Trochants for all your horses!

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 05:51 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Yep Nance the realism is starting to set in on my work , just not in my head sometimes ... Im for the most part a dizzy blonde , but I do like to think I have the guts to stand up for what I believe in and Working from Life is just that , it shows a hundred% in my work , and for me its getting to a point when I can tell if my heart is in the work and thats mostly from the real life in front of me ,

I am Willing to even goes as far to say I am liken to Joan of Arc crusader of Men and her beliefs she died for them , I am that same heretic for Life working, drawing /painting all of it , I just dont want to be burned at the stake for it ... but seriouly Im just that passionate about it and if its turning me into a greater artist I say bring on the Life no matter what ... Umm Alex on her white horse and her armor ~yes I say Great trochanter horses to us all
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 12:50 AM
Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: Portrait study Of ~Elle~ in Charcoal

Sandra, Ive been around forever, dont post ofter but I check in quite a bit to see the work people are doing. To see your progress amazes me. I love the portrait, keep it up!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 01:06 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Sweden

Hey, nice! Good job on identifying the range of values.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 08:34 AM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Sandra -- You have really captured a lot of your sweet Elle here -- Bravo! esp. Impressed that you were doing this from life!

You've already gotten a lot of good imput here. One little thing from me: am thinking that the line of her neck was probably not as straight as you have it. The delicate curve that might have been there would add a bit more -- if you caught it as is. I know that my drawing teacher was forever telling us to not draw what we THINK we see, but draw what we really ARE seeing. That's one of the reasons that we are encouraged to look at some of the shapes we see as other things they might look like (like you do with clouds). For example -- the eye socket shadow might look like a fish or bird... Drawing the shape or line that way often helps one get it more right-on.

Still -- I am mightily impressed with your growth, my dear! Leaps and bounds!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 10:22 AM
A Local Legend
Co Wexford, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Hi Sandra. Some people who know what they're talking about, have found some minor nitpicks here, but all I can see is confident drawing and that always does it for me, regardless of the medium.

Michael

My Website www.michaelmcguireart.com My Blog http://www.michaelmcguireart.blogspot.com
C&C welcome
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 06:08 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Quote:
To see your progress amazes me. I love the portrait, keep it up!
Thanks Dustin , I amaze myself sometimes ... what a feeling ! thanks for enjoying my progress, for that can only be a groovy thing !

Hey Thanks Oliver....

Dear L .... Great thoughts on this , Elle has a pretty Longish neck , but of course you could be right... I wont go back into this anymore ... its not that I dont want to , but Id rather have her in front of me when and if I did , -and then the same tilt and look of her head may not be the same .. So all learning but thankyou Humbly for seeing my growth , Im not quite sure of it yet , but I know its there ... Much like the underlying Tide that shows its self when ready thats mE!...

Hiya mICK , Im mostly confident , but never sure . ...now theres a oxymoron for you ... Im so pleased you honestly Love this .. . Lets shoot the breeze Mick and put out all the stars !

Last edited by lovin art : 04-12-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: cant spell !
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Enthusiast

This is a very nice drawing. I like the strength of the chin and lips -- lot of character. And it's impressive how you've integrated the portrait with the surrounding curtains and light. No halo effect. I do feel like the pupil of the near side eye is looking in a different direction from that of the far side eye. But it doesn't take away from the strength of the larger drawing.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 04:47 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Hey felix the cat ... I guess theres an old saying here , you can please some of them some of the time and none of them ~ all of the time .... Im touched at your kind words , and Im sorry you see the eye as not right, I dont , but then im just a artist struggling her way along like everyone else ~will I ever do a work of Art where someone looks and sighssss and says Arrhhh yes thats enough ~i dont know , but still I keep on tiring -its all one can do ...
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 10:58 AM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

Well lady- your work is just growing so much. I see a confident hand here, and no less about that eye- as you said and its true, we cant please them all. I find that in my work also.
But this is a great work from life and I admire your talent and commitment.Im loving your work !Your values are superb, and your handling of the charcoal is so good.

Just home from caribbean cruise, where I went to some artists studios !Not that , it has anything to do with this.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 03:11 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Well Carol , I think for the most part , people are afraid to admit to something they see and fall in love with it for all the obvious reasons , and my work is much like me , its full of Life and bubbly and can even be explosive and very vibrant , Iv never hid the fact , its how I am if talk to someone on here , or to a complete stranger in the street .... Im a smiley fun loving Girl type and I guess that spills over into my art ... so maybe I need to get off here and see if art is really me or is it all just Bull.... sTRONG SELF DOUBTS HERE , I know, I just keep drawing and what for I really dont know atm ...., all my best to you lady and your art always ....you have Loads of talent and drive and really you are a brilliant artist in my eyes xxx.... as are Lots on here Ive come to admire ... but there comes a time as they say in all our lives when one must make choices I guess ~ Merci !!!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 03:56 PM
WC! Guide
near Auvers sur Oise

Hails from France

Great job Sandra your skills are really growing DD is growing too
Robert

Robert loves arts animals and CATS...
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast
Dayton, OH

Hails from United States

This is just right. I see what others are pointing out about the eyes, but I don't think you need to change that - it adds mystery.