WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > The Darkroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Jacksonville, FL

Hails from United States
St. Johns upset

Hi again. Please C&C this photo I shot on the St. Johns River in Jacksonville, FL. It was an overcast blustery day and the river was wild! Edits include some exposure and sharpness adjustment
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States
Re: St. Johns upset

Although this photo successfullly displays the crashing and swirling of waves, I am looking for the focal point of this image and can't find it. What is the point of interest here? I am not sure if it has to do with your cropping or subject. You are successful at showing movement but I keep looking for something more. I do like the wooden seawall, especially its texture, color, and detail.

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are. " - George Eastman
Nikon D5100, 16-300mm Tamron lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Wow, St. Johns is upset!
I don't know enough to offer a critique but I like the wall and the green docks too.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Jacksonville, FL

Hails from United States

Thanks Luv2shhot. The main focus was the splash on the seawall but I see how I did not crop enough to draw the viewer in. Check this version;is the subject better?

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
USA, on the edge of an atom

Hails from United States

I don't know......

I love the full expanse of the churning turbulent waves. I thought that was the focus. I am thinking get rid of the top third of the photo, cutting out down to the base of the block wall. That would make it more of a panorama. JMO.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Arkansas

Hails from United States

I thought the focal was the choppy sea. I love to see all those choppy waves in what looks like an otherwise sunny and serene weather day. I think it's a neat contrast in that regard and one not often depicted.

It's unfortunate that your waves aren't more in focus, but in the same token those waves lend a painterly affect to the image. I like it.
Thanks to all of you at WC I am now addicted to pastels
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States

I agree with Dudley,
It is the top third of the photo that seems to be distracting. The wild stormy waves are so natural. But the cinder block wall is not rustic enough for the wild waves. I think leaving the width as is looks good. Try cropping away the top third.

And by all means, don't be afraid to disagree with me. I know others will disagree with me. They are just ideas that we throw out there.

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are. " - George Eastman
Nikon D5100, 16-300mm Tamron lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Arkansas

Hails from United States

It seems like if the top third was cropped, it would become even more evident that the choppy waves in foreground are not as sharp as they could have been. Also, when I initially looked at the picture, my eye traveled beyond to the distant sea and it helped my mind assess the overall feel.

But like Luv said, all are ideas, and Lord knows I've displayed photos to the public and they'll surprise me every time by complimenting something I either didn't really care for about it, or pointing out something they see that I didn't. It truly is in the mind's eye of the viewer!
Thanks to all of you at WC I am now addicted to pastels
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 03:44 PM
A Local Legend
Edmonton AB Canada

Hails from Canada

It is amazing how each person see's different things in the photograph, my eye always goes to the top right of the photo. It was shot at f 13 so there is a deep depth of field to this shot, that I feel is good. I have to say I do not feel I am the best person to critique anything and there was something in this picture that I liked and but couldn't put my finger on it. Personally, even though I crop for composition etc. in my shots, it is the whole shot that has the attraction in this picture. After viewing it a few times I finally discovered what it was I liked it was the greens and the browns in the shot that compliment each other.
BTW I agree with the next poster, I really am nuts
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Jacksonville, FL

Hails from United States

Wow! Thanks to everyone for your comments. I agree that the block wall distracts from the image of the waves. I also liked the green dock posts for the contrast and the seawall for the texture. Unfortunately I can't loos one without losing the other. Here are two versions that attempt to capture the suggestions.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 09:58 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
USA, on the edge of an atom

Hails from United States

Personally I like the loss of sharpness on some of the waves. They show movement and action that rough water have.
My eyes go right to the focal point at the wall but the waves further out make my eyes linger as I explore it. I found my eyes resting in the lower right. IMO it now has a obvious focal point with good negative space that is interesting and keeps me looking. JMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by djszen
Wow! Thanks to everyone for your comments. I agree that the block wall distracts from the image of the waves. I also liked the green dock posts for the contrast and the seawall for the texture. Unfortunately I can't loos one without losing the other. Here are two versions that attempt to capture the suggestions.

Last edited by dudley_d : 04-13-2012 at 10:02 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 07:11 AM
A Local Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

I love the feeling of chaos and power in the waves. Also love that green.

Can't decide between the 2 recent crops. The first is, IMHO, a slightly better composition and contains the sharpest of the waves. The second shows more of the waves and includes more of the green-topped posts, which to my eye has a unifying effect on the image.

Either way you've got a strong image. Well done.
snilloRs.com
camera: Canon PowerShot SX40HS - photo editing: Photoshop CS5
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 11:47 PM
Jacksonville, FL

Hails from United States

Thanks Dave. This was a difficult shot to compose due to the uninteresting backdrop of the brick wall and tree trunk. These were items that did not crop out well. This is another shot that had less water movement but more overall interest.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 02:25 AM
Lord of the Arts
hong kong

Hails from Philippines

So much going on here...

Janet
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Jacksonville, FL

Hails from United States