WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Little Rock

Hails from United States
Re: The filbert brush

I think bristle filberts can make some nice marks and I use them in underpaintings. For most all the rest of the work I use synthetic flats. I won't use synthetic filberts.

"All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence." -Martin Luther King Jr.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 06:27 PM
A Local Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

I use synthetic brushes almost exclusively for my work. Early on, I noticed that my flats somehow seemed to become more useful as they became older, and I realized that it was because the corners of the flat brush were becoming less pronounced, and more rounded like a filbert.

I therefore concluded that I should buy filberts new, rather than waiting for my flats to become so used as to have rounded corners, so lately I've been doing that.

Although I find large flats be be very useful for roughing in my underpaintings, and for painting large, flat areas such as skies and water, I use my filberts for nearly everything else.

Clouds, flower petals, large leaves, the facial features of portraits, are some of the uses to which I put my filbert brushes.

I paint details with various sizes of rounds.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 03:09 AM
Enthusiast
The O.C., SoCal

Hails from United States

I second the aforementioned comment, my reasons for buying more filberts. Also, I like how filberts load-up and the textures left. I really appreciate the durability & quality of Robt Simmons Signet bristles for my pein air work ..They really last!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 09:57 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from United States

Glad to hear from all the filbertists
I see that people can use the filbert without leaving the characteristic filbert stroke (which I dislike)
Perhaps I should play with one again at some point. But I seem to get the results I want without using one.
So we will see.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Tacoma, WA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad M.
Glad to hear from all the filbertists
I see that people can use the filbert without leaving the characteristic filbert stroke (which I dislike)
Perhaps I should play with one again at some point. But I seem to get the results I want without using one.
So we will see.

I'm not sure which of the great philosophers coined this one, but I agree with it: "If it aint broke, don't fix it." Maybe it's in the book of Proverbs. In any case... even though there are many of us who like filberts, you won't find a one of us who thinks your art suffers for the lack of filberts, so I see no reason for you to break your routine!

If a painting goes terribly awry, just call it a "study" and don't sweat it.
www.rastarts.com
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Enthusiast
United States

Hails from United States

I really enjoy my filbert brushes because I can use it for so many different styles of application, using all of the edges. Of course, maybe that is because I started out with filberts and round brushes! Anyway, just my few cents worth.