WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Newark, New York

Hails from United States
Antique Shop

This is the very 1st painting I did with a photo as a reference a few years ago. I found it in the reference library on this site. It's oil on a 20 x 24" canvas. Let me know what you all think...
Todd
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia
Re: Antique Shop

There is a lot of work in this Todd, and I think working from a reference was a good idea! It is good to work along with and follow others paintings on the tutorials etc to get experience, but I do like this one better than your others, it shows your style and technique which I think is very good! like this painting very much. =)) Cheers Debs.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
S.E. Missouri

Hails from United States

I agree with Dezby -- in this painting we see your own interpretation coming through, your brush strokes, etc. You're on the right track, trust your instinct even as you learn by watching demonstrations by other artists. One can learn a lot from demonstrations but you have demonstrated the talent to use your own vision of what you see shine through your work.
Happy painting!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 09:55 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Boones Mill, VA

Hails from United States

Without looking at your ref photo I am guessing you have done a very nice job of copying the photo. While this is technically well done it lacks excitement because there is no variance in hues and values within each of your major planes. Other than the shadow of the light post there is little indication of the sunlight coming into this square. I'd take it into photoshop and play with it. Add some strong oranges or purples and blues or whatever colors speak to you and see if you can bring some life into this. Think about reflected color and where you might add more of the pink of the walls into the grey cement and the red from the jacket and green from the leaves.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Huntington Beach, California

Hails from United States

your brick work is amazing. are you a free mason?
the shadow is throwing me off. Does the building have a big hole in it to let the sun come through to make the shadow of the poll? the building would be casting a shadow too. in fact everything should be casting a shadow or be grounded with some type of shadow. great start, now just keep it going and you will have a masterpiece in no time.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Newark, New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark brazney
your brick work is amazing. are you a free mason?
the shadow is throwing me off. Does the building have a big hole in it to let the sun come through to make the shadow of the poll? the building would be casting a shadow too. in fact everything should be casting a shadow or be grounded with some type of shadow. great start, now just keep it going and you will have a masterpiece in no time.

About that pole shadow. It wasn't in the photo but I just threw it in there to make the painting look a little better. I hope it didn't ruin it by doing that. I do see what you're saying though. Thanks for the compliments too....

Todd
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Enthusiast
Lilliput

Hails from United States

subject is pleasing...composition is well done...
perhaps shadows are confusing to some,,,but these little side streets are such...and everybody knows the best deals are on the sidestreets....
shop looks empty...s'pose all the stuff is at my house...yd
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 02:16 AM
Pune, India

Hails from India

Overall the work is lovely. I would put some more shadows so that there will be some excitement. Just the shadow of the pole is not doing justice. Also I would take up the shadows on the wall of the shop too...

Ajit