WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States
Re: April 2012 Journal Jabber - Chat Thread

I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled for a space pen refill for my Jotter. I do sometimes want to write on surfaces that other pens balk at, always good to find a new alternative. One plus to the allergy to latex and having to get rid of all of my cushy grip pens, is I've learned to loosen my grip considerably and now my hands don't complain when I draw.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 AM
A Local Legend
england

Hails from England

since writing the above I have done a drawing with the pen (in the S&B thread) and it's good for drawing with :>)

I think I bought the refill from Amazon as the cheapest place to get one. I'll be interested to see what you think.

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Munich, Germany

I think I've just landed myself with a new project --sending sketch postcards to my grandmother (who's 84 and frail and on another continent) on a regular basis. It kind of fits here under journaling, I think, since they'll be an extension of my journaling. What do you think?
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Yes Mercy, and what a wonderful project. I'm sure it will have your grandmother looking eagerly towards that mail box.

Vivien, I have some gift certificates for Amazon so I guess I need to order one of those space pen refills, I have several jotters so I can replace a pen in one of them. Always exciting to find an art supply that isn't really an art supply, they are always so much cheaper aren't they, then you can save your money for more important things like paint and paper.

I've been painting papers for journal covers, I found a way to incorporate the way Roz does them with the way I used to do them when I had more space, lots more water involved and it makes the most lovely rings as the water dries. I found the most wonderful little book about Monopoly yesterday that I'm going to gut and refill with watercolor paper to take to a pow wow I'm going to later this month, what a fun place to sketch and paint! Something you can't always do at Native ceremonials (and rightly so) but this is in the UNM arena and sketching and photography are allowed, big big deal dancers singers drummers from over 500 nations. Nirvana!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 03:51 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Mercy, you won't regret sending your grandmother postcards. And grandma's do enjoy hearing from people. Mine is 101. She and I communicate via e-mail, so I just send her photos attached.

Margo, sounds like fun times. I think I'd be overwhelmed with all the regalia and would stick to photos rather than sketching.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Well...to be sure photos will be taken until the card is full. The problem is I always take photos of things I want to sketch and then never do. I have years of photos from the Austin powwow, and Chinese New Year and I never use them. I love to sketch from life with all the passion and excitement. I really should try and paint some of my photos and I swear one of these days I will. There is always the possibility I'll take my sketchkit and not do one single picture, it's happened before. Fortunately this event goes for several days while the Austin was a one day event, so I'll get my fill, see my favorite dances then can settle down and sketch. The viewing crowd always makes for interesting sketches too, and if you are fortunate enough to sit close to the performers and their families then you can sketch from a closer viewpoint.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 06:31 AM
A Local Legend
england

Hails from England

Mercy definitely - a lovely project.

Margo that sounds an amazing event. I look forward to seeing the sketches/photos

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

I think it will be exciting Vivien, and I missed the Austin powwow last year because of my move so I'm even more pleased to have such a large event close, just an 80 mile drive, though I may be kind to myself and spend at least one night there.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Ottawa

Hails from Canada

I just got in a big shipment of cradled board and some bookbinding supplies. I also picked up a Petit Voyage by Semikolon cause it's kind of cute. I have lots of fun ahead of me once my exams are done.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

How exciting Tara. I hope I get to do some binding this weekend. The weather is so beautiful right now though and my paintbox is eager to go further than my front yard so it may not happen. Or maybe in stages, tear some paper one day stitch the next covers...well you get the picture. Good luck on your exams.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 05:08 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Good luck on your exams, Tara.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 08:52 AM
Ottawa

Hails from Canada

Thanks Margo and Debby.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2012, 06:06 AM
Munich, Germany

I filled my first journal last night! Yippee! Time to try a watercolor journal!
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Congratulations Mercy! It's exciting to fill every journal, but the first one filled is extra special. Have fun with the watercolors, they are great fun in journals.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Congrats Mercy. You'll have fun with the next one and the next one and the next one too.