WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 02:17 PM
A Local Legend
San Diego, California

Hails from India
Re: Attempt at composition - 2 - Painting

Thanks John for the encouragement! I'll pursue this, although my pace will be slow, given how busy am these days.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

I agree with Cathy (Mayberry)...this WILL work, it is a good idea, but you will need to make one painter the center of interest through color, contrast, etc. Since the mural will be large (bright?), etc., possibly it would be that area...and make the second painter secondary. I love the idea, I love the complexity of the idea...kind of like the old masters, who showed themselves at the easel painting royal families and the like...sometimes even showing themselves painting in a mirror...if the concept would work for them, it would definitely work for you...even if it is more complex than the one painter with the easel! It will great thought! But I'm sure you can do it! AND complex, demanding, pushing oneself to the limit is what it is all about...as someone said on WetCanvas "watercolor is not for the timid!"

Margarete
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 12:52 PM
A Local Legend
San Diego, California

Hails from India

Hi Margarete, thanks for an added perspective of renaissance painters. That thought never came to me, but now I can see parallels. I'll give your points some thought. It appears, after completing this drawing, I have to come up with a few color sketches to experiment with color-contrasts and see how it goes before I start the real thing.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2012, 03:44 PM
A Local Legend
San Diego, California

Hails from India

Thank you all for the encouragement and critiques. I have tried to fix some, but my unfamiliarity with colors and watercolors makes me skeptical going forward without doing a color study.

So, this is a color sketch done with color pencils to get a feel for how this whole thing would look like and also to analyze color harmony etc. As I said, am not too familiar with color theory, so am limping my way through. Kind of using color complements , like orange-purple, yellow-blues. Also attaching the same image in grey-scale to understand how the values are coming across.

Comments and critiques welcomed and will be of lot of use for me as I proceed further. Thanks I messed up shadow shapes for the man on the ladder cast on the wall. So that is surely one thing I have to revisit.

Color study:

Grey-scale image:
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 02:48 AM
A Local Legend
San Diego, California

Hails from India

Hi all, thank you very much for the encouragement and support as I worked through this. I finished this today and have posted the finished work in the gallery. You can click here.