WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Atlanta

Montana Field - WIP

Hi everyone. I would like to get some feedback on my painting. In particular, how to get the midground grass to sing. I also feel like my mountains are lacking a little definition. I am struggling with adding too much color because I want to portay the distance. There are a few items to be add which will be the focal point of the painting - barbed wire fence and two posts in foreground and haybales lines up along the far side of the field. One hay bale will be promenant and closer than the others at about 1/3 on the right side of the field. Any and all commentary is great. Im learning so please dont hesitate to highlight my flaws!!
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Toronto, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Montana Field - WIP

I like it so far! I am no expert, but I think the middle ground grass are good the way they are, don't need to sing too much since you're adding the focal points soon. Also the mountains are fine, they are in the distance so they probably don't need too much definition? Do you happen to have a reference photo to show? Anyway this is looking really good, hope to see more of the progress!! Thanks for sharing.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Atlanta

I have a reference photo I am working with. This is an Alfalfa farm in Montana. If you have never been there are spectacular and this doesnt really do it justice. I cant wait to add the hayrolls because it will add a bit of interest. and the barbed wire. Im a bit scared of doing that...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 06:03 PM
A Local Legend

I can't advise on how to make the mid ground grass sing. I can tell you I'll watch your progress because I like where it's going.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Atlanta

Re: Montana Field - WIP - now for the scary part

Here is an update to this. Now I am at the phase where I dont know what to do. I can go in two directions here. There are two areas of the painting I like - the foreground and the area in between the mountains and field. My problem is I am painting in two different styles and I am having a hard time figuring out how to marry the two. One one hand I really like the way the bushes and such on the mid ground look. I wanted to highlight that area because it connects the mountains to the field. I did most of that with a pallet knife. So one way I can think of to make the rest of the painting have that same feel is to go over the entire painting with a much thicker layer. Ugggghh that seems like starting over. On the other hand, I could tone down that area of the painting to make it stand out less and try to blend it more into the feel of all the other aspects of the painting. Also on the hay bales, I am just getting started there. They need some work. Need to be darker in my opinion and the shadow needs to be more prevalent. Also not sure if I should add a much larger hay bale on the right hand side to continue providing some depth to the field. I feel like that side of the painting is rather muted. Still need to add barbed wire to the fence too... What do you think? I am to the scary part and hesitant to do "too much" to it - ie over work it... Feedback please!!!
Attached Images

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Atlanta

Here is an update. Pretty much done with it. Might add some highlights to the field of grass. What do you think? Need anything in your eyes?
Attached Images

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Long Island NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopper
Here is an update. Pretty much done with it. Might add some highlights to the field of grass. What do you think? Need anything in your eyes?
Yes. A frame! Nice painting.
If you were going to change anything I would eliminate some of the far off bails of hay and put a couple (1-2 at most) at varying distance on the right side but none closer than midway. They are lined up across the far edge of the field and not balanced as to placement of the bails in the foreground. Maybe even have one go off the canvas out of view to add to the feeling of space. You don't want them to look like bowling pins in a pyramid pattern either however. I do like it the way it is though. Your eye does get drawn deep into the painting. The sky is excellent as are the colors and perspective. If you have a program like photoshop you could experiment with that before changing the painting to see how you would like any changes.

Last edited by Newb : 04-19-2012 at 12:45 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Enthusiast
Hudson Valley, NY

Hails from United States

The mountain tops started getting pointer and pointer, maybe that's the way it's suppose to be? and shadows in hay bails especially closest to us, a little darker. Like the perspective.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Atlanta

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with the mountains getting too pointy. THey are abit like that but it almost feels a little surreal because of that. Thanks for the feedback on the bails I will make those shadows a bit darker. Really appreciate the comments thanks!!