WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Enthusiast
Carthage, MO

Hails from United States
A Route 66 Candy Shop

I tell you...I ended up craving chocolate and sodas doing this job in a small rural town on the Route 66 highway. On one side was a drive-thru window, and business was so good, I was dodging cars between brush strokes!
The building measured 7' x 50' long, and the paint was a semi-gloss yellow. There were previous signs painted a couple years ago by another artist that shows in the "before" pictures of the candy shop.

I was asked to come up with appealing images depicting the goods in the store, and I also had to include a "highway map" depicting the Route 66 highway from Chicago to Los Angeles.

Ooooooooooookay....

Sherry
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Enthusiast
Carthage, MO

Hails from United States
Re: A Route 66 Candy Shop

The first set of pictures was on the west side of the building, where the breezes blew my brushes into the bushes. Here is the east side, where I was dodging cars. Did you know that SUV's have HUGE mirrors that can make you become one with the wall?

Sherry
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 07:21 AM

Sherry,

This will boost their business 1000+ !
Beautiful work,... and ...oh that two-flavored slurpy!

Carmella
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Enthusiast
Carthage, MO

Hails from United States

I don't know how I missed your comment...but thank you, Carmella....LOL....you need to come by and get you one of those two-flavored slurppies....you can add any or all the flavors you want! (Unpaid advertising, folks)!

Sherry
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 PM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

WOw, Sherry, you sure can work fast and BIG! So glad you've been busy painting. Makes me crazy to think people wouldn't give you a wide berth though while you were working

Michele

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Enthusiast
Carthage, MO

Hails from United States

Michele: I think the hardest part is preparing the layout for the building...to make things jive with whatever unfortunate appendages may be in the way on the building, and to make things look appetizing...the painting comes much faster for me.

Yah..for the most part, people were very cautious when they came around that corner, but there were a few times when I was forced to do really close-up work when I wasn't planning on it. I don't imagine that a squished artist alongside the cold drink and ice cream boy would have provided any incentive to purchase anything inside if I had become part of the advertising!

Sherry
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:39 PM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

Sherry, did you say whether this wall is metal or not? Did you do the base coat? We have another thread going where someone is having some issues, didn't know if you could help out..?

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Enthusiast
Carthage, MO

Hails from United States

This is a regular wood board building, with annoying vertical cracks that prevented clean lines, and it was already painted with a yellow, semi-gloss latex base paint...and I would give advice if I had sound advice, I'm still a hobbyist and can't seem to get interested in the more technical aspects of mural work...sorry. I know a metal building requires to be clean, metal primer base...er, and then paint...and hope it isn't a metal building with "ribs".

Sherry
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:28 AM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

Looks like the stuff we call "T1-11" here. Yeah, that ribbed metal is the worst, I remember a muralist saying to bid with twice the paint you THINK it'll take, because each of those ribs, if pulled flat, use as much paint as the flat surfaces

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Enthusiast
Carthage, MO

Hails from United States

More meat on those ribs than a McRib sandwich. *shudder*!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 01:59 PM
A Local Legend
So. California

Hails from United States

Beautiful job! I think it should grab people attention as they drive by that's for sure!

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-70L &other Lenses, Speedlite 580EX, Alien Bee's lights, with wireless triggers and soft boxes umbrellas.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 12:01 AM
Enthusiast
Carthage, MO

Hails from United States

Deb....did you say *gasp*....drive by.....lol...and not stop and buy chocolates, cold drinks, beef jerky, sub sandwiches and the like?

Thank you for enjoying!

Sherry