WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Nordland

Hails from Sweden
Re: Painter/Writer/Other

I am a published author of both fiction and nonfiction, but have given up writing except for very short non-fiction pieces for publication and poetry for myself. Part of the problem with writing for me is where it comes from in my brain, the powerful associations carried by words, and the ever-present and brutal "editor" that sits on my shoulder. Only poetry is close to the visual arts in its expressive nature.

Painting and drawing seem to come from somewhere else - a more creative, playful, almost childlike, non-verbal and physical form of expression. I have no plans to show my art except to my analyst (a Zurich-trained Jungian.) We make very good use of my art in exploring my personal unconscious, complexes, and the individuation process. I suppose you could say it is therapeutic and also mostly fun. I call it "play."
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 02:08 PM
artyczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking55803
my analyst (a Zurich-trained Jungian.) We make very good use of my art in exploring my personal unconscious, complexes, and the individuation process.

I want your analyst! Mine is an existentialist. We talk about Kant. I guess I should be grateful for that.

I too have had some of my writing published, but just small press stuff. Only poems so far. I'm working on a book of creative non-fiction.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 02:03 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

wouldn't it be grand to raise kids, or be raised in a local all inclusive atmosphere of learning ... everything ... all mediums, all access to all arts, musics, languages, literatures, prayers, philosophies, foods! sports, technologies, sciences, mechanicals and environmentals ... etc. a small city of learning within every city.

and shrinks, yes, to help everyone sort their variables

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2012, 08:36 PM
A WC! Legend
Lenexa, Kansas, USA

Hails from United States

Painter
Sculptor
Musician
Published Writer
Published Photographer
Professional Framer/Installer
Woodworker
Leatherworker
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Alexandria, VA

Hails from United States

Artist first.

Then writer, composer, vocalist, and aspiring actor.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Lord of the Arts
Pine Bush, NY-About 90 miles NW OF NYC

Hails from United States

My other creative outlet is microcontroller design and programming.

On my old job I did enjoy writing test procedures for some of the
equipment that was going to be sent to outside venders.

Sadly, after 15 years of oil painting, I now realize that I dont really have any talent for it....so I've kinda lost interest in it.

AJC DESIGN STUDIOS
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Fulltime RVer. We live in our 5th wheel, seeing the beautiful country, deserts, mountains, remote towns etc.

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mame
I'm learning the art of being old while continuing to try to paint with the eye of a newborn

Love your quote.
I have always painted somehow. My mother used to buy me little primary paints in a little tin. A little water or spit and I was painting everything I could. I have been taking Oil classes 6 months a year. I love landscapes, but can't find myself on canvas. What do you favor painting? I love moving water with shadows.
I am also an Author. I have written 5 books, and hoping my book will be finished this year. Do you write books, journals ??
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Fulltime RVer. We live in our 5th wheel, seeing the beautiful country, deserts, mountains, remote towns etc.

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking55803
I am a published author of both fiction and nonfiction, but have given up writing except for very short non-fiction pieces for publication and poetry for myself. Part of the problem with writing for me is where it comes from in my brain, the powerful associations carried by words, and the ever-present and brutal "editor" that sits on my shoulder. Only poetry is close to the visual arts in its expressive nature.

Painting and drawing seem to come from somewhere else - a more creative, playful, almost childlike, non-verbal and physical form of expression. I have no plans to show my art except to my analyst (a Zurich-trained Jungian.) We make very good use of my art in exploring my personal unconscious, complexes, and the individuation process. I suppose you could say it is therapeutic and also mostly fun. I call it "play."

I am also a writer, musician and oil painter. I feel a need everyday to express myself in some art form. I recently found another genre for painting, old gourds. I create a lovely home, with usable art items. we full time in our fifth wheel and everything I have has to have a multiple function. My art is underneath stored upright in between paper and fabric. I paint on masonite and stretched canvas. I love what you had to say. Art runs deep in my soul. One day I want to draw and paint a tree that speaks to ME> Lois
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

I like the comment about a life of learning that La made. It fits me well as I worked as a trainer in the technical world for many years and now in the later part of life I love to paint. Back in the day, I played and taught guitar, always had technical jobs that required a lot of technical writing (often wanted to write a book, no time), made and sold a lot of wood crafts, and I know I will always feel like an art student. So much to learn. Learning is living. I feed off the daily discovery.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Nations

nice thread La.

first i published some poetry but i later found the expression of 3d imagry to be more available to interpretation. i have not written hardly any poems since taking up the sculpting tool.

Viking, to me, the expression by sculpture is analysand. during the creation period the art is a reflection of the current nature of my being. the artist is the first person influenced by the interpretation of the explusion of images. my most satisfying comment on my artwork, ever is a quote by James Hollis, Ph.D., a Jungian Analysis and Author " this sculpture "It reminds me of a Tlingit Shaman's amulet which Jung pictures in one of his alchemical texts." maybe you could approach your artwork not from its conformity but its inner 'being'.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 04:36 AM

Well, for me art is always about being trying to rediscover yourself.Although I too want pursue it professionally but am scared of failures.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 03:11 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

For years, I thought I was a good writer. Took AP english and did ok. But actually, I am a long-winded, and not very good writer. I learned that at work, where short and to the point is much more successful. So if I write, it is just for me. For ideas, for therapy, for play. And most ironically, now my son's birth story is being published - though that is NOT due to my writing skills, that is due to a good editor at the publishing company.

I have always been a visual artist, as a child with crayons and watercolors and clay, as a young adult with acrylics, as an adult with computers (yes, that actually can be creative), and now back to acrylics again. I recently read the great book Art and Fear, and it says most artists quit. I felt I had too, but when I looked back on my life, I can not find a time when I was not being creative. Even at my saddest, working in a terrible mess and unhappily married, I was still painting and sculpting sometimes. Not having a creative outlet is very very unhealthy for me.

So to answer your question, I am probably 85% visual artist, and about 15% other creative stuff - where that could be anything from designing print material to writing long-winded tidbits of shallow philosophy to cooking unique meals...

http://www.artallison.com/
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 04:45 PM

I'm 100% a professional writer possessing good writing skills. But also help those who want to enhance their skills in writing essays,books,novels,poetry etc. I firmly believe that painters,writers,authors walk on the same path in fact they just convey their ideas differently some with the help of colors, some with words and so on..
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:33 AM
michigan

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_
I'm betting we're mostly painters her on WC!
but i wonder how many of us are also writers
or have some other outlet for their creativity (theatre? an instrument?)

i usually am about 80% painter, 20% writer, 0% other outlets exclusive to creativity.
but it does vary tremendously sometimes.

la
I am about 50/50. A published horror writer who loves to draw!
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Essex, United Kingdom

Hails from United Kingdom

I'm probably about 50:50 painter:writer too. I count myself as having more successful written pieces than artworks and I find it easier to express myself and do some really good work in the written word.

I do, however, love to paint! But I find it a lot harder to get started with a painting, whereas writing I can barely move the pen fast enough to keep up with the stuff coming out of my head. I'm probably a writer who paints rather than the other way around.