WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Larry Seiler
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#631   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada
Re: Post Your Dailies here...120 Paintings

Here is today's painting. It is painted from a photo of Mount Ida, taken from our back yard. One day I will paint it again, but from life instead. We are lucky enough to have this view from our kitchen, back deck and backyard. It also makes a beautiful backdrop to our small city.

It is the first time that I have anything resembling clouds so I am happy with that and I think the mountain looks okay. The trees are boring and I think if I did this painting again I would crop most of the trees out and make Mount Ida take up most of the painting.

This is a 5 x 7 painting done with soft pastels and Pan Pastels and is painted on Buttercup Pastelmat.

Doug
  #632   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Very cool, Doug! I commented on the first two but didn't see your most recent one, that's got beautiful mountains.

I didn't post this yesterday but should have even if it was in my art journal instead of done on a separate piece of good paper.

Derwent ArtBars used dry and wet on 180lb white Stillman & Birn "Beta" rough watercolor paper. Same page as the color chart for the 12 color set I used.

Haven't painted yet today.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #633   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Thanks, Robert. The mountain taunts me every morning when I open the curtains on the sliding glass door that leads to the back deck. I know I am in for a treat this summer at sunrise. The colors that bounce off the snow is awesome. This summer I will be ready to really study it and paint it.

I don't even know what art bars are, but you handled them very well. A lot of energy. It doesn't matter if it is painted in your journal. It is still a painting. It is also okay if you don't paint today. Don't overextend yourself. Take is easy and maybe you will be up to painting tomorrow.

Take care.

Doug
  #634   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Here is #20. A hundred to go.

This is a subject that I have problems with. My clouds always look like heavy clumps that couldn't possibly float in the sky. This challenge is all about trying new things and attempting to correct problems of the past. I think I might be on the right track. It is painted with Pan Pastels and is painted on 5 x 7 Maize Pastelmat.

Thanks for looking.

Doug
  #635   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

I am enjoying this challenge and I know it is helping me paint more often. The last few paintings might still be sitting on the easel if I didn't take up this challenge and start the blog. When I wake up and know it is not going to be a good day, I wait for the aches and pains to subside enough for me to put in an hour at the easel. Even if it is only for a half hour, it is still more than I would have painted before the challenge. I am also better organized and try to get the pastel paper taped to the backing board and try to figure out what I will paint the night before.

Here is painting #21. It is another Pan Pastel painting. It is painted on 5 x 7 Pastelmat. These clouds didn't turn out like the last ones. I guess they aren't as interesting to look at and that could be part of the problem. I am also posting the revision of the last painting. I changed the shape of the top cloud, because it was similar to the bottom cloud.

#20 Revised

Doug
  #636   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 10:32 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

really like your revised #20...Doug...simple...but there. The format very nice...

One thing for you to grow into...you'll want to pull color into areas to tie things (unify). For example..some hints of blue spots in the lower part...would tie that area to the sky above. The hints of yellows in the cloud you have now serve to pull the the clouds to the land mass below, etc., The blues in the lower part, for example...should be hinted at...not so obvious.

Sorry to hear of "pain"....my wife has fibromyalgia, has been disabled twelve years now...on SSDI...
I myself a disabled vet. You have my regards, Doug...do what you can. A friend once told me, "all you can do...is ALL YOU CAN DO...and all you can do IS ENOUGH!"

Simple logic...but really, you stop beating yourself up if you catch the real truth of it...
  #637   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Thanks, Larry. I am sitting here, shaking my head. I made sure the yellow from the ground was continued in the clouds, but forgot to add the sky color to the ground. All is not lost. I remembered to do it in the other painting.

As you know, living with a disability is no fun. I have sciatica and lower back pain and I never know how I will feel. I know things could be worse and try to do as much as I can. One good thing that came out of this is I got back to art.

That is great advice your friend gave you. I will have to write it out and pin it on the studio wall. I admit that I do get frustrated from time to time, but I think I have come to grips with it. My problem is I try to do more than I should and pay for it later. My wife just shakes her head.

Doug
  #638   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Here is #22. It is painted from a photo I took while standing on the public wharf in our new home town, Salmon Arm, BC. The wharf stretches out into Shuswap Lake and offers many photo opportunities. This is painted with soft pastels and Pans and is painted on 5 x 7 dark grey Pastelmat.

Doug
  #639   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Northern CA

Hails from United States

Haven't posted this week. Been a bad week for pain here, mainly due to a car accident many years ago. Finally took it up again with my Dr. and we will see what comes of it. It is good to hear that I am not alone in feeling well enough to paint at times.

Attached photo is of two projects, numbers 6 and 7. The top strip is my 10 value study I worked up after seeing what Larry had his students do in class. I had never done one and must say if you get a chance I would encourage you to complete it as both a reference material and an exercise to develop your value discernment. The bottom painting is the rather dismal result of my homework for Johannes' rock class. Rocks are not a strong point, I was tired, hurting and under a deadline. The result is this rather sorry work.
Next week I will feel better and have some exciting projects in mind.
  #640   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

CaKatt- No, you are not alone. There are many of us out there. As Larry said, just do what you can do and don't feel guilty about it. I think many of us got back into art because of our aches and pains and the need of a hobby to keep the minds active. I hope you and your doctor figured out a solution that can ease the pain.

Your painting looks good to me. The rocks are well formed and the water has movement. I agree with you about making a value scale. I did one with water soluble oils and it took longer than I thought. It is a good exercise. Good luck with your next project. Take care.

Doug
  #641   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 07:37 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

CalKatt, your Rocks homework looks good. I like the way the rocks came out. The water flows properly and I can see the stepped levels of the waterfall, values are accurate, rocks are three dimensional. It's better than you think it is. Keep going!

I've been sunk with some health factors too but yesterday did my Puzzle Painting entry as a daily painting:

Pastel Puzzle Painting 3, Piece 15. I know it doesn't mean anything, hoping I'll find out what it is when all 15 other pieces get fitted together around it. I used the 10 color Painters Set of Pan Pastels.

Today I used the small set of Pans again. I've recommended it for ages as a good starting palette for beginners or field palette. Now I'm practicing with it so that I can take it out to a park and paint plein air with it. Sometimes I run into frustration not having colors I'm used to but I'm definitely getting somewhere with it. This started out as a storm scene and turned into a sunset because it looked cool on the orange paper.

Sunset Cloudscape
8" x 10"
Pan Pastel (10 Painters colors) on orange Canson mi-Tientes smooth side.
From memory and imagination. No references used.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #642   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States

I posted another Iris painting here last night and can't find it now

I'm re-posting it again and hope it doesn't show up twice.
W&N water soluble oil paint on an 11 x 14 canvas board. Wanted to paint the Iris before they disappear - hope to paint a yellow one soon. This one reminds me of fog creeping along the ground and the one Iris is just sitting above the fog.

Haven't given up on landscapes and will return to them soon.

Robert: The sunset painting is bright and cheerful - makes me feel good to look at it.

Barbara

http://www.bjranous.weebly.com

Last edited by Tresgatos : 04-12-2012 at 10:53 PM.
  #643   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Robert- Love that yellow, red, blue sky and the tints in the clouds. The painting just glows.

Tresgatos- The iris is beautiful. It has a very delicate look to it and the background looks great with the same colors as the flower.

Here is #23. It is painted on 800 grit UART paper using Pan Pastels. It is painted from a photo I took last summer looking over Shuswap Lake while I was walkling the trails at the bird sanctuary in Salmon Arm, BC.

Doug
  #644   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 06:36 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Purr thank you!

Barbara, I love your iris. Irises are among my favorite flowers and this one is spectacular. The one you hint at behind the main flower is so beautiful too. Very cool.

Doug, great clouds on this one! I like the sandy patches on the hills too and the details on the grasses, the grass heads look very natural.

Today's skyscape has a very different mood!

Storm over the Hills
8" x 10"
Pan Pastels on light gray Strathmore Artagain pastel paper
Photo reference by Johannes Vloothuis from Photo References Pack.

#645   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 10:48 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Today's Daily Painting! Despite an exhausting, exciting day volunteering at the Food Bank and then having my Home Care visit, which involved Joy helping me sort three huge boxes of art supplies into a dresser and other running around - it's hard to sit still and be waited on and not do anything - I did get in one daily painting. This one. From life.

Endive and Bell Pepper
6" x 8"
Girault pastels on gray pastel paper. From life and imagination.

I know Endive is a lettuce relative. Any ideas if lettuce actually is a food with any calories, or have vitamins - or is it just something to stuff your stomach so you don't feel hungry if you're on a diet?