WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > The WC Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#421   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 11:20 PM
A WC! Legend
US

Hails from United States
Re: All Media On-Going Sketching Thread Part 12

Robert, thanks for the demo in artbars. So they are like gouache. Good.

Came back from the visit to UC Davis. My daughter decided to go there for college. Along the way, sketched a few.

Daler Rowney Simply sketchbook 5.5x8 inch 70 lb cream

I chose this one because it's perfect for pencil and charcoal work with a good texture and I can only use a pencil in an art museum.

These are some trees along the road.

De Young Museum in San Francisco

They have a superb Jean Paul Gaultier exhibit and I managed to sketch a couple before told not to. Yet we could take photos. Just no sketching of visiting exhibits.

I could sketch anything that is owned by the museum. Huge waterfall.

American art

Fountain and tree outside museum.

This is where I got told off. Couldn't finish this fantastic hair piece.

UC Davis campus on Pentalic sketchbook.

These few are on Stillman & Birn Alpha 5.5x 8 inch sketchbook.

This one I used Caran D'Ache Neocolor II and Daler Rowney student watercolor and Faber Castell Albrecht Durer watercolor pencils used dry.

Imaginary

#422   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Just popped over from you art journal thread, and subscribed. Great tree sketches. Aren't museums the oddest, can't sketch but you can photograph or vice versa. I just sketch at them all until told otherwise!
  #423   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 12:08 AM
A WC! Legend
US

Hails from United States

Thanks for visiting, Margo. Museums do have strange rules.

Here's another one.

This is actually a double page spread of the above sketches of the fountain creature and the trees side by side. I just added lots of color.

At lunch

First layer - erased some of the darker markings of the tree and doodled more trees to make the two pages link somehow.

Second layer - background colors this time with Caran D'ache Neocolor II actually drawn in between trees and then washed. It was really mickey mouse wash because I didn't bring a bigger brush to work.

Third layer - 10th layer - done at home - alternate between Faber Castell Albrecht Durer pencil coloring, wash, Daniel Smith watercolor and more colored penciling and more washes.

Stillman & Birn Alpha 5.5 x 8.5 inch 100 lb hardbound.

#424   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Very cool with the color added. I got stuck with just a small brush doing double page spreads the other day, a drag for sure, doesn't seem to stop either of us, the air just seems to turn blue around me when it happens though!
  #425   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast
Guwahati, India

Hails from India
Thumbs up Re: All Media On-Going Sketching Thread Part 12

Great works everyone...loved them all.....
here is my new work after a break

Plein Air in the neighborhood
pencil on classmate sketchpad
27cm X 34 cm

Tirtha Sankar Bharadwaj
India
  #426   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 AM
A WC! Legend
US

Hails from United States

Thank you, Margo. We should really take a fatter brush along.

Tirtha, your piece is so sunny! Amazing how you render the light so well and I could relate so well to such scenes having grown up in Asia.

Just some sketching on the 5 x 8.5 inch sketchbook. It is not easy to just doodle with watercolor without first doing a pencil draft. The left one is exactly that and I missed the proportions totally. The right one and bottom one is still freehand but with pencil and just slightly better.

Did this one this morning just before work. I constructed it with the construction lines first and it's a bit more proportional.

And here is my attempt on doing Brian Seo, an American born Chinese who writes and produces his own songs. Here are two of his songs that he recently released : Before the day vanish; Freeze.

The first one I based it off two photos and made a mess of it.

This one was a lot better.

This one, I concocted it the way I wanted it. He of course didn't dress up like that.

Last edited by gakinme : 04-12-2012 at 01:11 AM.
  #427   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Enthusiast
Beaverton, Oregon

Hails from United States

Hello, Sandra and all!
Sandra, I really like all the sketches, most of all the clown guy at the end of your last post. I like the style and feel of it.
Tirtha, great sketch!!! Nice to show where you live.
Robert, nice landscapes and sharing color swatches.

I just thought I would connect. I haven't done much lately, but this is a doodle page of a few ideas I had. One is my son's wedding. I got a pretty good cartoon of him I think, not as good on his fiancee.
Also cartoons of Bella and Sylar. They are getting along much better. It took them a while.

"May I impress upon every reader that illustration is life as you perceive and interpret it. That is you heritage as and artist and it is the quality which will be sought for in your work. Try never to lose it or subordinate it to the personality of another."
-Andrew Loomis-
  #428   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Tirtha, love that dramatic urban scene. It's gorgeous and reads so true!

Sandra, wonderful sketches of people and places. I like the fountain with what looks like a cat or big cat wrestling a snake, very cool! Good sketches of faces too. You're so prolific! Gorgeous color on the two page spread of the fountain and swamp scene, very moody and atmospheric!

Jake, great cartoons of your son and his fiancee! They look cool together. Love the two cats. I've always loved those two cats, so glad they're finally getting along together. I thought Bella would come around if Sylar was sweet to her long enough. He's such a great cat. Glad she sweetened up!

Today I'm back to daily painting and Pan Pastels landscapes - did one from imagination.

Sunset Cloudscape in progress, shapes sketched in, clouds and land blocked in.

Sunset Cloudscape
8" x 10"
Pan Pastel (10 Painters colors) on orange Canson mi-Tientes smooth side.
From memory and imagination. No references used.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 04-12-2012 at 07:30 PM.
  #429   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 10:19 PM
A WC! Legend
US

Hails from United States

Congratulations, Jake! You are now father in law!!! Your son looks swollen with pride and happiness even in your drawing. What is that on your daughter in law's forehead? A tattoo? Cute couple. Bella and Skylar look so cute together. They have such great character under your pen.

Robert, I like the first cloud drawing for its very ominous colors. But of course, the sun has to come out to break things up. Nice ending to a day on the horizon.

I did these two pen drawings this morning just before work of my favorite Japanese actor. While I could sketch easily with quick pen strokes of sceneries and people walking around and doing things, rendering something resembling to the real person portrait wise with shading is a lot harder especially if I challenge myself not to even have pencil outlines. These two are such attempts.

The third one is plain pencil with lots of erasing and it looks a lot more like him.

Pentalic 70 lb sketchbook 5.5x8 inch
ball pen black and blue
no. 9 mechanical pencil and Derwent 2B watersoluble pencil

#430   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Enthusiast
Beaverton, Oregon

Hails from United States

Thank you Sandra, they are not married until the first week in June. They live together in Brooklyn, NY now, so it will be official then.
Your sketches of the Japanese actor all look good!
I heard some disturbing rumors about reactor #4 at the Fukushima nuclear plant today. So I am worried for the Japanese people.
Robert, your sunset landscapes look cool!

This is a fan art piece of the actor Conrad Veidt from his silent film "The Man Who Laughs". He was the inspiration for Batman's Joker character.
He was an interesting character in his own life as well.

"May I impress upon every reader that illustration is life as you perceive and interpret it. That is you heritage as and artist and it is the quality which will be sought for in your work. Try never to lose it or subordinate it to the personality of another."
-Andrew Loomis-

Last edited by bluemanjacob : 04-12-2012 at 11:46 PM.
  #431   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 08:59 AM
A WC! Legend
US

Hails from United States

It looks like they are ready to restart their plants. I hope they make it safe because we are just one ocean away from them.

What a neat intro to the predecessor of Joker. And neat effect, Jake. You're getting good with your graphics coloring.

I did this of my first favorite Japanese actor. The one above is my second one.

The eyes are still my weakest part. 0.9 mm mechanical pencil on Pentalic 70 lb 5.5 x 8 inch sketchbook.

Kimura Takuya

#432   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Great pastel pieces Robert good to see you are getting dusty again.

Jake cool sketch, and I love trivia so now I can throw the joker story into the mix.

Sandra these sketches are all great! Eyes are just hard cause there come in pairs and we attach so much meaning to them, mirrors of the soul and all of that. I just see such huge progress in your drawing ability, your constant sketching and painting really is paying off.
  #433   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 06:41 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Great portraits, Sandra! I'm starting to get to know this actor through your drawings. He looks good.

Jake, very scary fellow! Definitely reminds me of the Joker. Love that wicked mouth.

Sandra, your last pencil drawing has a very poignant look, he's very intense. I can see the strong differences between their features. Way cool.

Today's skyscape has a completely different mood - and this time I let the storm blow in!

Storm over the Hills
8" x 10"
Pan Pastels on light gray Strathmore Artagain pastel paper
Photo reference by Johannes Vloothuis from Photo References Pack.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #434   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 01:57 AM
A WC! Legend
US

Hails from United States

Thank you, Margo, Robert, for your comments. One of these days, I will be good at drawing these celebrities. I am going to overcome whatever difficulties it would be and even render them in color in different medium. I'm determined.

Robert, very ominous skies. Very pretty. Direct and simple.

Tonight I tried my hand at another still life with W&N Water Mixable Oil paint on Strathmore Canvas paper. I'm finally putting more paint on and less of a watercolor technique.

My kids' toys.

The paint is still very wet and I need to let it dry a few days before I put more paint on.

Last edited by gakinme : 04-14-2012 at 02:01 AM.
  #435   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 03:10 AM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

That's the ticket Sandra, when I comes to oil paints so many people don't use enough. A good start. You'd probably enjoy alla prima, painting wet into wet with oils isn't as hard as watercolor, at least I don't think so. But as much as you like to layer drying is good too. Honestly you have enough drive to conquer anything you set out to, really!

Robert I've been painting my clouds with watercolor and saying I need to play with the pastels, as soon as IFJM is over I will or sooner if I get around to binding another book for them. Well actually I think I have a couple of pastel sketchbooks in the drawer, guess I'm out of excuses!