WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2012, 06:29 AM
Hampton, Queensland

Hails from Australia
tips needed please for glass cleaning

HI.
I have recently started framing my own work but find it very difficult to get the glass spotless. I have tried metho and glass cleaners in conjuntion with paper towels, but still see smudging.
What do WC artists suggest please? Do you use cloths or paper towels?

Thanks, Lyn
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2012, 12:44 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
I don't have need to do this much but I'll share my experience anyway. I think this is sometimes best done as a two-stage thing, clean the glass first with warm soapy water* using a microfibre wash cloth or sponge, then squeegee off - just like cleaning a window. Then, if necessary, use a degreaser of some kind as the final wipe over, before immediately installing it into the frame.

Oh and it's best to wear gloves to prevent accidentally smudging the glass you've just been so careful to clean!

*Just a drop of dishwashing liquid in a large amount of water.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Edwardsburg, MI

Hails from United States
Re: tips needed please for glass cleaning

If you are using older glass that is really dirty then you should do as Einion suggests and might even need to use a single edge razor blade to scrape any scum off the surface. If you are using new picture glass you should be able to use any non-ammonia cleaner and a clean microfiber cloth.

Ammonia is bad for two reasons. It easily leaves streaks and also the ammonia fumes are bad for any artwork, photographs or reproductions.

If cleaning the glass which is already in the frame, spray your microfiber cloth instead of the glass and wipe in a circular motion until dry.

Should be spotless!

One more thing... If you are using a concentrate where you mix the cleaner with water to make a solution it is very important that you use distilled water to mix your solution. If you use tap water or even bottled drinking water you will have streaking problems.

Last edited by DaveMak : 03-28-2012 at 04:13 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2012, 12:26 PM
PA

Hails from United States

wear gloves, preferable non slip rubber gloves
use rubbing alcohol to clean the glass keep wiping until its totally dry or a degreaser for the really bad smudges like gummy adhesive that can get stuck to glass
and an air compressor to blow dust out of the frame
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Hampton, Queensland

Hails from Australia

Thank everyone for your suggestions. I will certainly give your ideas a go. Regards
Lyn
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 12:29 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
homestead in south dakota

Hails from United States

if you have older glass that has goobers that are just aren't moving with cleaner, try 0000steel wool, from hardware store. that is fine enough to not scratch but does a good job polishing the glass. it will leave steel 'lint' which I then use cleaner and microcloth to wipe off.

this is my most dreaded chore.

A rich person is not one who has the most, but is one who needs the least.
--- "Interview with God" (author unknown)

http://sitekreator.com/cmcernetisch/index.html
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Pinwood Springs Colorado

Hails from United States

I've tried everything to clean glass. The best thing I found is Denatured Alcohol. Just spray it on and wipe with a soft cloth. I buy it at lowes or Home depot in the paint section.

I also use a glass pallette, and clean it after every painting session. After scraping of the excess paint, I finish as above.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 03:41 PM

I have found the best results by using 3m glass cleaner and an old newspaper, even normal glass cleaners with newspaper works well.

I'm an amateur artist but have cleaned many windows on homes and autos this way. Hope this helps for a cheap way to get that glass spotless.

best regards.

Brian