WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2012, 09:40 PM

safety-kut ?

Greetings! I just joined today - stumbled across the site while trying to get information on using safety-kut in a press. I've done in my shoulder with hand pulling prints on BFK paper using muscles that are not as strong as they used to be. I work with safety-kut as I do much of my work onsite while camping. I'm looking at tabletop presses to also use for etching, monoprint and woodblock. Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.
Zbird
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Swords, Ireland

Hails from Ireland
Re: safety-kut ?

I use a Dick Blick Econo Etch Model II (which is the same as the Richeson baby press) Its a very good small press suitable for intaglio and relief printing - costs around $600 once you add in all the blankets etc. and gets great reviews all round - I've had no problems at all and just love it! You can also look at Charles Morgan's design for a diy bottle press which has great reviews from other printmakers on the site - Charles is a member here too. There is a lot of info on this forum about presses if you search through it a bit. Regards Annamie
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 08:27 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I had the Dick Blick Econo Etch too for 30 years (just donated it to the local university printmaking program) and loved it. The only down side is the size (no big prints) but it's simple, easy to use and can be stored or moved by one person. I did everything on it that a printmaker could desire (etchings, drypoints, relief, etc.).

Diane
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 08:32 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Regarding safety-kut and a press, you would need to make 'runners' for along the sides to keep from squishing the safety-cut (need to do the same with linoleum and relief prints). It's a no-brainer and easy to create. I have several depending on the height of my various plates.

They may not be called 'runners' but they are narrow strips longer than the plate/paper and the same height as the plate/wood/lino that are laid on either side of the press bed. It keeps the roller from jumping off the plate at the end or from squashing the lino, thus losing detail after several prints.

Diane
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 12:13 PM

+ 1 for the Richeson Baby press. I was lucky to pick a lightly used one locally (how lucky is that?) for a couple hunnert bucks - including an extra bed and a few extra blankets. Works great for prints up to a certain size... which works for me as I'm not working on a 'heroic' scale right now.Solid mechanics and adjustability. If you cast around, you can find pretty good deals.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 02:18 PM

Thank you for the tips! My pieces are too big for the Baby Richeson, but the tip on runners is super helpful.
Happy printing!
Zbird
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 06:05 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Be very careful of printing this type of surface with a press
if too much pressure is exerted on it stretching will occur as I recently learned
the runners will definitely help but again if your roller is too tight it can stretch out the matrix when it is passed underneath.

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Central New York

Hails from United States

Yeah, I remember someone atttempting Safety Kut in a press and the block totally squashed!!! You might be safer using a marble rolling pin...

Jen
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 03:15 PM

Hails from United States

Quick question...can you make the runners out of the same material and thus ensuring the same thickness?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 04:00 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Normally you would but in the case of this material, since it can squish down, I'd build up a pair of runners/rails instead. Try finding mat board or plywood to build them.

Diane
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 05:52 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

I made some runners recently using some oak frame moulding with strips of mat board glued to the surface to build it up to the exact same height as the material.
Another option is to totally surround your block on all sides with an equal height harder surface (ie. mdf, particulate board) so it can contain the block and prevent stretching of the material when it is passed under the roller. The softer the matrix the more problems you might experience with press based printing.

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart