WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Utah

Hails from United States
Uinta Mountains

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Uinta Mountains
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a painting I feel I need to stop working on. I think my ceaseless revisions have reached the point at which they are making things worse so itís time to see what suggestions you veterans might be kind of enough to share. Some of the aspects of the painting Iím struggling with are these:

1. The purple fading of the background mountains is a little too strong (too purple). The real life subject really does fade to a nice purple but it hasnít translated well in the painting.

2. The foreground aspen tree lacks ďbodyĒ and depth. It was too tentatively painted and lacks convincing patte<br>s of light and shade.

3. The foreground pine is too rigid. It needs more character.

Do you agree with these criticisms? Any other suggestions?

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm a beginner painter and am eager to improve. I'm open to all types of feedback.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 12:05 AM
Utah

Hails from United States
Re: Uinta Mountains

Moderator, I actually meant to post this in the structured critique area. Would you mind moving it if it's not much trouble? Or you could leave it here. Not a big deal. Thanks.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 04:53 AM
Enthusiast
Waterlooville, Hants, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

This is a beautiful painting .I think all the colours are very well done. Love the soft feel and trees. Has plenty of depth and character in the trees. Arnie
Try sending the moderators a private message to get it moved to Structured.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2012, 02:57 PM

It's a very soothing scene and nicely done. I think I can see a couple ways that you might be able to get closer to what you wanted. One is by softening the lines at the ridges of the hills/mountains in the background. If you do this you should get a bit more of the depth and atmopheric look you are after. The second issue that you may be having is that the detail in the second green hill does not vary as you look across it, taking away the feeling that it is receding in space. I like the foreground a lot so I'm not sure what you aren't pleased with in that. Hope that helps a little.

Julie
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Immortalized
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Why is the aspen crooked? For me it takes all the focus. This aspen also looks like it is crammed against the left and top edges of the canvas (is that why it is bent?) - "sorry, you have to end here dear tree, there is no more space.".

Just my 2c what may be "wrong" with the aspens.

Other than that, the composition looks good, and you have used a full value range. As suggested by arnieb, you probably want to soften the edges of the distant mountains.

One thing worth considering is to do a bit of cross pollination of color - now you have what looks like three distinct "bands", the upper blue/white, the middle purple, and the bottom yellow/green. How about introducing some purples in the foreground shadows (subtle - to harmonize), and perhaps consider the color of the light (afternoon? yellow/golden?) and the effect this has on the sky...

Regarding the foreground pine, you can't really add to it - it already has a full value range (from darkest dark to highlights) - if you want it to pop in some way, you need to tone down the background. If you want the greens to look more green, consider adding some subtle reds (not in the pine though .