WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 11:32 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Virginia, US

Hails from Norway
The chapter on greens

Started the chapter this morning spending 15 minutes on the pear tree across the road. Quick breakfast break, now back to the book!

Happy Easter, everyone, hope you are enjoying your Sunday as much as I am!

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Virginia, US

Hails from Norway
Thalo Blue & Burnt Umber

My self-study books says on Burnt Umber and Thalo Blue: This combination makes beautiful gray-greens that are wonderful for rocks and tree trunks.

Eh... nope. Not for me, it doesn't. I don't get anything that looks remotely like the pictures in the book. I get a metallic gray or a grayish blue.

Anyone?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 09:49 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States
Re: The chapter on greens

yeah, i can get a muted blue green with winsor newton artist burnt umber and utrecht phthalo blue (and white)

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 04-08-2012 at 09:59 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Virginia, US

Hails from Norway

Must be a difference due to brand, then. She is using Academy Thalo Blue while I have Winton. Most of her other paints are Winton, the Burnt Umber is.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, australia

Hails from Australia

I'm not so fond of the winton... I'm slowly replacing mine. In fact today's job is upgrading my white to something better. I'm sure it is the Winton white that is causing me grief. I'm deciding on a good and limited palate and buying more expensive paints.

Just need to decide which.

I have one or two of the artist grade winsdor and newtons. One is a sap green and it is so much better than my winton sap green. I was mixing it up for my pears and there was no comparison.

While sometimes the cheap paint is great and it works for me a lot of the time. I certainly am seeing why everyone is saying to "look at your paints" and get the best you can afford.

Good luck!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Virginia, US

Hails from Norway

The Bradford pear above is highlighted with Winton sap green/Winton Titanium white, which I have come to dislike intensely (the white). (BTW, that tree looks horrific in this cell phone picture, wish I hadn't posted it. It's actually sort of cute in real life, seen from the doorway...)

I do like the Winton sap green, I mixed a lot of greens yesterday and made some color charts for my own reference, and the sap green mixed with a little French Ultramarine and some white made some nice shades of green. I'll continue to mix greens and expand my homemade charts, I'd like to really see what I can do with what I have on hand.

Winsor and Newton artist range has several whites that I'm going to try, need something much more transparent. Sounds like we are on the same track...

Until I get better technically, I'm not going to buy more expensive paints of anything I already have - I'll replace when I run out, but I'll keep going until I hit the wall with what I have. Frustration really creates progress!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

i rarely use ultramarine blue to create greens for nature scenes. With me, its cadium yellow and ivory black believe it or not. A little titanium white and bam! I find that ultramarine blue is too vivid for me. If i am painting halftones i may add blue or if I want some variance. But what do i know, i am just a bum painter with no talent.

my palette always consist of:
ultramarine blue, cadium red, cadium yellow, titanium white and ivory black. The black is rarely used unless mixed with red or yellow for dull purples and oranges. blue is mixed with red and yellow for vivid secondaries. If I need black I just use a dark dark purple since black really does not exist and is just heavily saturated blues or purples.

Last edited by illastrat : 04-09-2012 at 09:05 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Virginia, US

Hails from Norway

Illastrat, thanks for the idea, I'll add it to my experimental agenda!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, australia

Hails from Australia

Nods Toril, sounds good. Keep me updated on your white progress. DOn't worry about the tree, experiment and experiment. I bought a whole stack (and i mean a stack of 50) small canvas boards that were $1 each. So i can experiment and not worry about wasting materials or taking up room. I even used them for my colour charts :-)

Oh and i like the idea of burnt umber and thalo blue for rocks :-)

Illastrat - I love your limited palate. I am very much considering those for my limited palate of expensive paints. I am a HUGE fan of the earth colours so will probably throw a couple of them in. We will see.

too many paints to choose from that is the problem.

HAppy painting everyone!!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

when i said dull oranges...i mean green. typo
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Edgecumbe
Nods Toril, sounds good. Keep me updated on your white progress. DOn't worry about the tree, experiment and experiment. I bought a whole stack (and i mean a stack of 50) small canvas boards that were $1 each. So i can experiment and not worry about wasting materials or taking up room. I even used them for my colour charts :-)

Oh and i like the idea of burnt umber and thalo blue for rocks :-)

Illastrat - I love your limited palate. I am very much considering those for my limited palate of expensive paints. I am a HUGE fan of the earth colours so will probably throw a couple of them in. We will see.

too many paints to choose from that is the problem.

HAppy painting everyone!!

yeah...the problem with my palette is those pest'y browns. hard to get a good brown without mudding the color.