WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#196   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:15 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: PANPASTEL SHOW AND TELL--instructions and inspiration

Raxu, very dramatic Pans painting! I love the evergreens you created, they're lovely. You seem to have a handle on most of the changes you want to make to it. Kneaded erasers can be used to lift color off PastelMat, bring it down far enough to go over it with more opaque color. I had to remove some violet strokes on this one and go over them with light colors and was able to get enough off that I could cover it completely.

Waterfall III
5" x 7"
Pan Pastels on Buttercup PastelMat
Photo reference by Johannes Vloothuis for Week 2 homework in Essentials of Painting Rocks. Third go at the homework!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #197   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Immortalized
Finland

Hails from Finland

Thank you Sherry, LinettaLee and Robert! I will try to upgrade my painting as Robert adviced... let's see if it gets any better.
Robert, I love your rock homework in Pans!!! Fantastic result, this is the direction I want to go; need to paint more...
  #198   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Owen Sound, Ontario

Hails from Canada

I just purchased the 'Painter's Set' and stumbled across this thread while browsing 'panpastels' on the internet for inspiration while I anxiously await mine in the mail (fingers crossed for this upcoming week). Lovely work here, and it just made me want to get my hands on these pastels even more! I usually paint in watercolour, so I'm especially interested in mixing the two together

I'm sure will be getting more tints / shades as time progresses if this is a medium that works well for me - I didn't want to invest all the money upfront without fully knowing what I was getting into - espcially since I have never worked with anysort of pastel before! I felt that the painter's set was a good choice to dip my toes into.
  #199   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Canon City, Colorado

Hails from United States

I just ordered my second set of panpastels. I got the shades the first time due to a limited supply. This time I'm getting the painter set. Figure I'll just get the sets as I can afford them until I have them all.
Robert I love your rock homework. I like your background and sky. Beautiful. Thank you for telling me about this site as well in the Rock class yesterday.
Happy Painting to everyone.
Lorianne1955
  #200   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 03:30 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Lorianne, that's fantastic. I love my Painters set. You can mix anything using the 20 Painters set, all the Tints, Shades and Deep Dark Shades are convenience colors (and very convenient).

Angie, great choice to start. 20 Painters contains all the pigments they use. Tints and shades and deep darks can be mixed using the pure tones and white or black. With a watercolor background you'll have a lot of fun with these - they mix like paint so a lot of your previous experience will help you.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #201   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Immortalized
Finland

Hails from Finland

Hi,
I posted my pan rocks to the student critique corner of Johannes Vloothuis, he found my rocks are still to roundinsh, could have more angled/sharp edges. So today I took the challenge and tried to re-edit my seascape-rockscape-pastel painting. Here the revised one, the original can be found when you scroll back in this thread.

Hope this is better. I also greyed down my rock colors a bit, and tried to create more crashing waves with pastel stick... Anyway, I thought Pans help me to loosen up and NOT to paint too detailed. Now I see I still paint too "tight". What would help me to loosen up???
  #202   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 10:27 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I like the changes, especially to the rocks in the foreground. There's a couple of places in the foreground where it looks like the two large rocks meld into the big rock they're sitting on in a way that would have a sharp change of angle - make that a plane change, value and hue, with a sharp edge. It doesn't have to be a big one but that doesn't read right when it's just direction of strokes. There'd be a thin crack where the base meets the surface the rock is on. Also the side of the rock would have a different value than the cast shadow on the rock under them.

#203   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Owen Sound, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieartist
Hi Robert, I am eagerly awaiting my set of Pan Pastels. They were shipped Mar 22 and so must cross the border into Canada. (I ordered them Feb 23 but needed to wait for Quinacridone Burnt Orange W/C (on backorder til Mar 7th ???) before they would ship altogether...my choice) should had said yes send right away, then send the back order item...probably would have cost me shipping and handling twice which was why I said I would wait.

I bought mine from currys.com which is very competitvely priced with the American art supply companies, and it ships from within canada so a) faster shipping and b) no customs. They have the sets, the singles and the sofft tools. I order from them all the time, and if you order so much, shipping is free anyways and it's fast shipping - they ship with purolator from
Missisauga, Ontario.
  #204   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Cloudcroft, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Hi Everyone,

I've been trying out pan pastels and did one completely in pan pastels today. It's quite small (5 x 7). It's on Wallis paper.

I may go in and use soft pastels over it. Suggestions would be appreciated.
  #205   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Cloudcroft, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Red face Re: PANPASTEL SHOW AND TELL--instructions and inspiration

What is the painters set? I purchased mine individually after a small starter set. I only have 22, but I have a yellow green, blue green, blues in ultramarine and cobalt, a purple, a dark brown, a few lights plus black and white. (I don't have them in front of me right now.) But I do have a sienna, an ochre, and a red.

I've been working in soft pastels for many years but I'm interested in finding out how to use pan pastels to do complete paintings. I will be demonstrating pan pastels at our local art society meeting in June. Very short demo and then I will pass out the pans so the members can try them out. I really like them for underpainting.

By the way I'm new to WC. I'm still trying to figure out how to use this site.
  #206   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Denver-metro Colorado

Hails from United States

I really love the pans and when there was a wonderful deal on the full 80 set I grabbed it. I tend to do more of the floral/botanical, bird/butterfly, still life areas. Seem to be mainly landscape people in this forum, but every once in a while I pick up a worthwhile tidbit (since there aren't many pan people out there yet it seems and I am new to it also). I will take all the help I can find - - anywhere I can find it

I cannot help you out with what 'set' colors you may want, not really being a landscape painter, I will defer to Robert and some of the others to help you with that.
  #207   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Welcome to the world of Pans, pasdontel and linettalee. I don't know if either of you have been to the Pan Pastel site. They have a lot of information there. They show swatches of all the different sets, so you get a good idea of what you are getting. There are also free videos to watch. Our very own, Deborah Secor has a video on painting clouds that I watched today for about the 4th time. It might be worth your while to spend some time looking around the site, if you haven't yet. If you have then disregard everything I just said. Here is the link. http://www.panpastel.com/

pasdontel- You are doing a fine job with the Pans. Wallis is a pretty rough paper and can eat your tools, but it can take layer upon layer. Don't be afraid to try things out. Find out what all the different tools can do for you. You can try dabbing, instead of swiping, and that will give the painting some texture. There are so many things that can be done with Pans. I have been using them off and on since they came out and I am still learning new ways of using them.

Here is my latest. I guess I could have spent more time on the hills and ground, but the main thing I wanted to try was clouds. I haven't had much success painting them. It is painted on 5 x 7 Maize Pastelmat and painted entirely with Pans.

Thanks for looking.

Doug
  #208   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Denver-metro Colorado

Hails from United States

Doug, Yes, I absolutely, first of all went to the panpastel site to watch everything possible about the pans before I bought them. There is a lot of info there. I also have been watching Johannes and picking up what I can from his demos (he is in love with these) and even tho he is doing landscapes, as I said, I pick up good tidbits there. And, Deborah is a genius with all things pastel!!!!

I posted the pic of my first pan effort here (canna - floral) and I believe that you took a peek? maybe? Enjoy the forum a great deal.
  #209   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 10:56 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Pasdontel, I like your landscape! The violet contrasts beautiful with the greens, it has a lovely feeling and good light coming through the trees.

The Painters Set of 20 is the complete Pure Tones set, all the pigments they use. Painters 10 is half the Pure Tones and a good simple palette that can work for plein air or pretty much any subject, it's convenient. Painters 5 is very minimal, just a primary triad, black and white - good for people who are used to using triad palettes with paint like watercolor, oils, acrylics.

Doug, your clouds painting is gorgeous. I like the colors and the general shape of the main cloud mass. The landscape at the bottom is beautiful. You've got some dimension in the clouds. Main problem in the clouds is that there's two cloned forms about the same size - but you can cut into one of them with a big bite of sky color and play with the shape a bit more to fix that.

#210   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 06:15 AM
Immortalized
Finland

Hails from Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsloan2
I like the changes, especially to the rocks in the foreground. There's a couple of places in the foreground where it looks like the two large rocks meld into the big rock they're sitting on in a way that would have a sharp change of angle - make that a plane change, value and hue, with a sharp edge. It doesn't have to be a big one but that doesn't read right when it's just direction of strokes. There'd be a thin crack where the base meets the surface the rock is on. Also the side of the rock would have a different value than the cast shadow on the rock under them.

Yes Robert, you are a treasure! Of course I overlooked this part... will revise!

In the meantime, I tried the brownish/reddish Pastelmat, maybe I should have painted something else on it as this autumn landscape, as the colors are quite warm and the painting surface was warm? Should I have chosen opposites instead? Is there a basic principle for this? As I have painted only in watercolors so far, I'm not that familiar to the underpainting world .

I'm quite happy with the foliage and the distant trees, yet was not sure how to paint the strong cast shadow. So I improvised.
Everybody is welcome to help me improve my Pan Pastel painting!!!

By the way, I bought the 20 pc landscape set (in Germany). The colors are quite muted, of course. Maybe I should add the "painter's colors" you are talking about... just in case I feel like painting flowers or stilllife...