WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Millersburg, OH

Hails from United States
elements & principles

I am an abstract artist. Every so often i like to reflect back on the basic elements of art and the principals of design.

I think i know the answer but just wanting to make sure. You just use just a few of each correct ?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

Re: elements & principles

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansommers
I am an abstract artist. Every so often i like to reflect back on the basic elements of art and the principals of design.

I think i know the answer but just wanting to make sure. You just use just a few of each correct ?

...or even just one design element + one basic compositional design (armature) + a unifying 'mother' colour. Myrna Wacknov proposed a painting challenge around this idea on her blog. Sandy Maudlin has posted a follow-up of this idea on her blog. Well worth a read.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 05:24 AM

Hails from South Africa

Thanx, Claude, for these links, they were very helpful!
Happy painting,
Charri
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Hummm. I would say for abstract design, harmony and unity is most important. Asymmetry too. This can be acheived through Colour and tone. Try for a high key or low key painting or defined contrast areas.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 10:57 PM

Anything Goes
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Southern Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Beautiful Art! What inspires your work?

Im definitely not an expert. I have done a little bit of abstract and design. I agree with the artists that say once you know all the rules well, then break them!
In my experience, setting your own rules for each new work is one of the most exciting aspects of absract art and/or design. They overlap in many cases, dont they? Its like composing a piece of music in A minor with a motif that is faster in tempo and louder than the rest. The end result might be the elements in harmony and balance with each other ... or tension, whatever the case, etc. I remember one piece where I focussed on color, shape, and repetition, but in the end, much more appeared to be involved. Embrace the unexpected, adapt to change, and have fun!
Whats your take on abstract art that looks like there's way too much going on in the overal design? What do you think is too much? Any examples?
-wendy
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Millersburg, OH

Hails from United States

what inspires my work?
the work itself.. I only know what the next step is.. I do one thing then react to that - always keeping composition paramount! Making sure your eye doesn't wonder off to the edge or stay at one place to much.. pleasing colors, etc.