WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 03:13 PM
A Local Legend

Paint for me a song

Pick a song, tell me how you would paint it!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 03:28 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Paint for me a song

Walking after Midnight = solid black canvas (easy) Actually, probably a couple walking down a moonlit lane.
Patches (a haunting song, an old favorite of mine) Probably a young girl, dressed in old clothes, sitting gazing into the distance.
Red Solo Cup Cowboy enjoying a tailgate party with a red Solo cup. I can hardly pass the plastic cups in the store without singing a line or two of it.

My Website
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 04:11 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

I love a Rainy Night - a certain bum from NYC, obviously dancing around in the rain. This guy, he LOVED this song, and would go wild with it playing, you could see the joy come to his face. I do not know what his happy memories were that this song triggered, but I guess they were rich and full.
I'm The Best Thing You Never Had - a painting of me in a certain exhibition dancing around the stuff. Actually I am painting this next month, only the title is "Exhibition: A Private Joke". It's funny to me and my friend that took the picture, plus it should be challenging and fun to paint.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Enthusiast
Devon, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Fields of Gold by Eva Cassidy. Brings to mind a field of corn or rape seed under a lovely blue sunny sky.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 06:12 PM
A Local Legend

There's a song I currently listen to. It's called 'Video Games'

I don't see it as the title. I see it as couple dancing in a dimly lit street in the early hours of morning in New York, the guy swinging the girl with outstretched arms, rain on the ground, soaked hair and smiles, reflections.

Actually, I can visualize it as about a hundred different paintings

Last edited by ianuk : 04-04-2012 at 06:15 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 AM
olive oyl

I can't paint a song, but for the painting I'm working on now, and the two following, I'm incorporating some Nick Cave lyrics. Since he's an obsession, I figure I'd better "paint him out of my system" so I can move on to something else. One of them will be based on an old family photo, taken around 1960, and is the closest thing I'll ever do to a self-portrait (because...eww). Not sure yet on how I'll use the picture or the text, and also not sure if I can capture all of what I know. But the picture was taken outside and was nicely composed with good shadows. It shows me and my parents while I still had them all to myself (before sibs).

My father looks handsome as always (and very "Mad Men") is in his "golf sweater and Hagar slacks" (or whatever man get-up he was wearing). He seems to be attempting a smile but it looks more like a wince. One hand is on his hip in the weirdest position, making him appear pretty effeminate. This is funny to me because he was SO macho. His other arm is around my mother's waist. She was his "possession." She's not smiling, although this was the happy period in their marriage. Nevertheless, she's beautiful and her dress is very feminine and pretty and almost ballerina-like (tulle?). I stand between them and looks like I only come up to their knees. I'm also wearing a "pretty" little girlie dress, white anklets and black patent leather shoes. Looks like there was some attempt to control the hair (mom: it's like the Wreck of Hesperus!) with two tightly clamped barrettes. My feet are firmly planted, I'm leaning slightly back against them, and my stomach is pushed forward. I'm not smiling either, and my eyes are looking at whoever is taking the picture...warily (future worrywart). One arm is just hanging there. The index finger on my other hand is pointed and sitting in my slightly open mouth. And THIS is the real reason I want to paint this...the stance/gesture shows me in all my true "little girl idiocy." Not to be so mean toward my younger little self (or to my older self), but I can see here what "she" was about to become.

And so the text: And in my best shoes, I start falling forward down the street.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 01:20 PM
A Local Legend

Seems like some good paintings are on the horizon, perhaps I should play music when I paint
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Just Outside Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaJane
Fields of Gold by Eva Cassidy. Brings to mind a field of corn or rape seed under a lovely blue sunny sky.

Funny you mention this song, MarciaJane. It's on my iPod: Music/Painting.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Enthusiast
Devon, England

Yes it is a lovely song Ralph. I like to listen to relaxing music myself when painting.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Nr. Congleton, South Cheshire

Starry Starry Night by Don McLean

Here's the pic I painted whilst listening to it... sorry if it comes out a bit large, not used to resizing yet!
Attached Images

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 08:09 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I like that JayJay.

My Website
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Nr. Congleton, South Cheshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoball
I like that JayJay.

Thanks, Snoball! It's a bit out of focus, but shows the starry starry night ok!