WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 12:48 PM

Re: paper, brushes, tips????

I have just started using oil pastel and I love them! I use a blending stick and colorless crayon (like you use for watercolors) for blending. I also use a very soft piece of leather for blending. I use regular pastel paper with a grid pattern. I have also used matt board with a grid pattern and they both work well. I believe you can use canvas and blend oil pastels with turpenoid or other oil medium. I have experimented with oil sticks and they are great for the outdoors and plein air painting.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 02:55 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: paper, brushes, tips????

Hi All4art. You were telling us what you use. Were you looking for information on other possibilities?

For blending I use fingers, color shapers, paper stumps. I don't use solvents although some artists do.

I use canvas panels, 140# watercolor paper and gessoed masonite.

I usually gesso the panels and watercolor paper. Clear gesso on masonite gives a nice tooth for the oil pastel application and well as a nicely toned surface.

One artist said that he used a heat gun when blending oil pastels and I think a hairdryer should all work.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 04:54 PM
the coast in MA

Hails from United States
Re: Paper, Brushes, Tips

I moved this over here to the talk forum as I thought you would get more feedback.
I use paper stumps and clay shapers for blending plus my fingers. Someuse solvents, but i don't use and and I work mainly on gessoed hardboard.
Colorfix paper is also a good option as it has a nice tooth for oil pastels.

Pat
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Re: Paper, Brushes, Tips

Hi all4art! I found a very inexpensive set of 4 or 5 pottery tools in plastic that make nice lines, mash in the crumbs, and for scraped shapes and. Useful for OP's and also acrylics. I choose to use only soap & water art supplies so no solvents for me- but others here will chime in on that. Simple stuff, OP, like the others here said - stumps and fingers and you are all set!