WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Calligraphy
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#331   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 03:18 AM
Toronto

Hails from Canada
Re: Calligraphy Online Tutorials

Evethatsme - welcome to WC

Glad to have you on board. You will find a lot of good information here. I have benefited tremendously from Geoff's tutorials and recommend them highly to anyone learning Calligraphy. What I enjoy most about these lessons is that they teach you how to 'see' the nuances of a script and understand its character - its a much more interesting way to learn than just practicing strokes.

Which script do you feel is calling out to you?

Salman

My Blog
  #332   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 05:09 AM

Thank you for your welcome. I'm starting with lesson 1 Roman and going from there, it seems a good place to learn basic pen control etc. I live in Switzerland and am busy looking for supplies available here, however, I am English and having a trip over to England in May and know exactly where to go to buy things there. I would get mailorder but the Swiss charge so much import tax for things sent, I can manage with what i have until May

Last edited by Evethatsme : 04-04-2012 at 05:12 AM.
  #333   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Welcome Evethatsme (Eve ? ). Arriving in UK (as a born and bred Cornishman I say UK instead of England !!! ) in May --- how lovely. I envy you. A bit too far for me, though!
Salman has better eyes than I have and is a very capable mentor. I am pleased that you are starting with the Roman and for your thinking behind it. The control it allows you to develop will stand you in good stead for all your calligraphic future.
Above all, enjoy it. And once again --- Welcome.
Geoff
  #334   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 09:39 AM

Is it still ok to post my work in this thread? Or is somewhere else more appropriate? I am sure you are busy, but I would love some comments on my work...... Once I have practiced a bit!

And yes calling me Eve is fine, or Bev, which is my real name
  #335   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 AM

Here is my work, it looks even worse when scanned!!
I tend to lean the verticals to the left, and then overcompensate, maybe i am pressing down too hard too. and i see my horizontals are not all as they should be either. Practice practice!
Any comments would be appreciated, thanks

Bev
  #336   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Geoff - thanks for the kind words. I will help as much as I can but I would greatly appreciate it your could step in and check up on us from time to time.

Eve - I'm glad you started with the Roman letters. They are joy to get right and you are off to a good start. You have maintained a good nib angle for all but one or two of the strokes and show a good sense of spacing - maybe your previous experience is showing here :-)

Take your time with the 'I' and 'L' drills - getting a steady hand at this early stage will help you tremendously. You might want to try this little 'trick' to get the straight lines straight - place the pen at the correct angle at the starting point, now look at the spot where your stroke is going to end. While looking at the end point draw the line to this point boldly and confidently. It feels a bit awkward at first but it works for me whenever I fall out of practice.

You might want to check if the guidelines you are using are 6 nib widths apart - to my eye it seems they might be a bit too far apart for the nib size you are using - it makes things a bit harder if they are.

Looking forward to seeing your next attempt.

Salman

My Blog
  #337   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Uden Noord Brabant The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Just Started with the First tutorial this afternoon 05-04 2014
Novice Willing to Listen and Learn

Look forward to your Comments... Suggestions... Critic [ Positve] or... Help

Kind Regards Mike The Netherlands
Attached Images

Respect
  #338   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2014, 02:39 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Welcome to the Calligraphy tutorials Mike. Roman Majuscules are great to start with - these lessons from Geoff help develop an eye for balance and skill in executing good strokes.

You have good control of the vertical strokes - this is excellent. The first lesson focuses on good control of the vertical and horizontal strokes as well as the nib angle. Your horizontal strokes tend to lift up a bit from time to time so keep an eye on them.

You need to pay a bit more attention to the nib angle. It seems like you are writing with the nib at about 60 degrees (1 'o clock) - this is causing the horizontal strokes to be thicker than the vertical ones. The L and T are good letters to practice nib angle with.

As for the letter forms, pay attention to the crossbars of E and H - they are supposed to be at the 'optical' center. The crossbars almost always appear to be too low if we put them at the 'geometrical' center of the vertical stroke. Raise your crossbars just a fraction until they 'appear' to be in the center.

I know this is a lot of 'stuff' but it will help you to get them right at the outset.

Also, do you have access to a scanner? Photographs don't show the details as much as a scanner would.

Best of luck,
-Salman

My Blog
  #339   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2014, 05:52 PM

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by salman.khattak
Welcome to the Calligraphy tutorials Mike. Roman Majuscules are great to start with - these lessons from Geoff help develop an eye for balance and skill in executing good strokes.

You have good control of the vertical strokes - this is excellent. The first lesson focuses on good control of the vertical and horizontal strokes as well as the nib angle. Your horizontal strokes tend to lift up a bit from time to time so keep an eye on them.

You need to pay a bit more attention to the nib angle. It seems like you are writing with the nib at about 60 degrees (1 'o clock) - this is causing the horizontal strokes to be thicker than the vertical ones. The L and T are good letters to practice nib angle with.

As for the letter forms, pay attention to the crossbars of E and H - they are supposed to be at the 'optical' center. The crossbars almost always appear to be too low if we put them at the 'geometrical' center of the vertical stroke. Raise your crossbars just a fraction until they 'appear' to be in the center.

I know this is a lot of 'stuff' but it will help you to get them right at the outset.

Also, do you have access to a scanner? Photographs don't show the details as much as a scanner would.

Best of luck,
-Salman

Salman
Hallo and many thanks for taking time to explain what as to be corrected
in the Lesson..... Ive writtten out what should be corrected and will practice this before continueing with the Tutorial and post for your comments....No unfortunately I dont have a scanner......will prepare to photograph work in Macro that might help!! or crop it!!
Will post correction Exercise here......Kind Regards Mike

Respect

Last edited by Dutchpen : 04-05-2014 at 05:54 PM.
  #340   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2014, 05:29 AM

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgford
Welcome Evethatsme (Eve ? ). Arriving in UK (as a born and bred Cornishman I say UK instead of England !!! ) in May --- how lovely. I envy you. A bit too far for me, though!
Salman has better eyes than I have and is a very capable mentor. I am pleased that you are starting with the Roman and for your thinking behind it. The control it allows you to develop will stand you in good stead for all your calligraphic future.
Above all, enjoy it. And once again --- Welcome.
Geoff

Geoff Halllo

my formitive years as a Child spent in Par.......also St Austell
Very happy times........Love my Pasties even today at 70
Kind Regards Mike

Respect
  #341   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2014, 07:37 AM

Hails from Netherlands

[b][/B

See attachments ......Lesson One Corrections

Part two Lesson One

Look forward to your corrections.....comments .....help....or Advice

Kind Regards Mike
Attached Images

Respect
  #342   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2014, 12:56 AM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Mike - you are most welcome. It is my pleasure to help fellow enthusiasts in any way I can.

Thank you for posting the close ups of your practice sheets. It is much easier to see the work now.

The inter-letter spacing and crossbar position is much improved but the nib angle still tends to become steep. It helps to check it at the end of each stroke. If you know you are going to be checking it, you'll have a better chance of keeping it true.

You can move on to the next lesson. Along with the three words from the second lesson, please include three additional words made out of the letters I L E F H T.

Also, there is no need to post the whole of the practice sheet - just the exercise words will be sufficient. Do them several times over until you are confident that you can replicate them and then upload the result.

Regards,
Salman

My Blog
  #343   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2014, 02:49 AM

Hails from Netherlands

[quote=salman.khattak]Mike - you are most welcome. It is my pleasure to help fellow enthusiasts in any way I can.

Thank you for posting the close ups of your practice sheets. It is much easier to see the work now.

The inter-letter spacing and crossbar position is much improved but the nib angle still tends to become steep. It helps to check it at the end of each stroke. If you know you are going to be checking it, you'll have a better chance of keeping it true.

You can move on to the next lesson. Along with the three words from the second lesson, please include three additional words made out of the letters I L E F H T.

Also, there is no need to post the whole of the practice sheet - just the exercise words will be sufficient. Do them several times over until you are confident that you can replicate them and then upload the result.

Regards,
Salman[/QUOTE

Fistly Salman.......
Having read quickly through all the Tutorials set by Geoff.......Id like to
Wish you and your Family a Very Happy Life in Canada after ypur move from Pakistan......my best wishes for your future.....understand what its like having moved from the UK to The Netherlands 25 years ago......

Now back to School........Pleased the Close up photo,s help...if there are further problems Salman please let me know.

Please that the interletter spacing and crossbars are a little better will hopeful continue to do that......and also control my nib angle I am thinking about but you get so engrossed in your work...........if you know what I mean.

OK..........Practice the letters and more practice ........then to the words containing the letter and post

Going out this morning to purchase an A4 Calligrphy Block have at present only A2. Then will continue to do the Extra two words Lesson 1 and proceed to Lesson Two

I have a Question if I may............whilst working through the Tutorials
is it possible to pick your favourite script and Specialize I think I,d like to do Gothic or Germanic scripts are there many styles in this area Salman!!!! in relation to dates Example 17 18 th Century Germanic or Gothic

Maybe you could recommend a Script that I might look at...would appreciate that being guided by your experience............

Again many thanks for your time it is appreciated Salman...Kind Regards Mike

Respect
  #344   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 AM

Hails from Netherlands

[quote=Dutchpen]
Quote:
Originally Posted by salman.khattak
Mike - you are most welcome. It is my pleasure to help fellow enthusiasts in any way I can.

Regards,
Salman[/QUOTE

Fistly Salman.......
Having read quickly through all the Tutorials set by Geoff.......Id like to
Wish you and your Family a Very Happy Life in Canada after ypur move from Pakistan......my best wishes for your future.....understand what its like having moved from the UK to The Netherlands 25 years ago......

Now back to School........Pleased the Close up photo,s help...if there are further problems Salman please let me know.

Please that the interletter spacing and crossbars are a little better will hopeful continue to do that......and also control my nib angle I am thinking about but you get so engrossed in your work...........if you know what I mean.

OK..........Practice the letters and more practice ........then to the words containing the letter and post

Going out this morning to purchase an A4 Calligrphy Block have at present only A2. Then will continue to do the Extra two words Lesson 1 and proceed to Lesson Two

I have a Question if I may............whilst working through the Tutorials
is it possible to pick your favourite script and Specialize I think I,d like to do Gothic or Germanic scripts are there many styles in this area Salman!!!! in relation to dates Example 17 18 th Century Germanic or Gothic

Maybe you could recommend a Script that I might look at...would appreciate that being guided by your experience............

Again many thanks for your time it is appreciated Salman...Kind Regards Mike

Please see attachments Extra Three words from Lesson One
Attached Images

Respect
  #345   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2014, 02:17 AM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Thank you for the kind wishes Mike.

This looks much better. The nib angle still wanders but not as much. Keep an eye on it in future exercises and you'll learn to control it in no time.

I think the lack of the top line in your guide sheet is causing the letter height to wander. If you note in Geoff's examples, the crossbar of the T crosses over the angled top part of the stem - you have chosen to just touch the crossbar to the T in some places.

There are many Gothic German styles you can choose from. One of my favorites is this one: German Text.

Geoff's suggestion of starting with Roman Majuscules followed by Gothic Batarde will give you a solid foundation for tackling any of the Gothic hands.

I'll be looking forward to lesson 2.

- Salman

My Blog