The Art of Machine Needle Felting: The Next Generation of Quilting Using the Baby Lock Embellisher
Linda Hall - Wet Canvas member Fabricart
Tacony Corporation / Baby Lock
Price & Availability
$39.95 (as of March 2012). Direct purchase from author's website; Amazon
8 1/2 x 11, spiral bound, workbook, color, 150 pages
Machine felting, Art Quilting
Description of content
The title, The Art of Machine Felting
, summarizes the focus of this how-to book, offering not only detailed definition and instruction in creating felted fiber by machine but demonstrating an emerging fiber art form, "wool painting."
This "workshop in a book" includes detailed information and photographs regarding:
- Baby Lock 12 and 7 Needle Embellisher
- Tools and supplies for needle and machine felting, including needle sizes for specific purposes
- Fiber choices from roving and curly locks to yarn and fabric for substrates on which to felt
- preparing wool for felting
- working in layers of wool and fiber to achieve artistic results
- exercises and projects which introduce skills and the artistic range of possibilities
- built-in spaces for notes and attaching samples
- Free motion quilting and finishing techniques
- Trouble shooting and additional resources
- CD of high resolution photos and PDF files of patterns included in the book
Personal assessment of content
Clearly written and beautifully presented, Linda Hall gives a well-sequenced and thorough exploration of what machine felting offers to Art Quilting and felted wall displays. Whether you are a beginning crafter or an experienced fiber artist, this book will inspire you with new ways of working with the age-old technique of needle felting.
Co-published with Baby Lock and full of Embellisher-specific information, this book is equally valuable for those working with other brands of machine felting. The quality of the color illustrations, and the continued tips and tricks of one who has been there before, make the exercises and projects easy to follow.
The Art of Machine Needle Felting
will have you rethinking what is possible with Art Quilting as well as garments and accessories. The speed of machine felting is worth every penny for the machine!
Suitability for beginners, intermediate or advanced
Appropriate for anyone new to machine felting or striving to push the edge of their existing fiber art